SS specific frame- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

SS specific frame

What is the most SS specific frame out there for under $1,000? Prefer steel, but not a deal breaker.

I like neat, clean designs without clutter. I had an older Jabberwocky, with the track ends. Not sure how I feel about the new modular dropouts.

Always in the wrong gear
    You won’t find many bikes with horizontal slider “track ends”. Paragon sliders are so damned good there’s no reason not to do that.

I’m a self-proclaimed Vassago fanboy. I’ve owned a Jabberwocky and now ride a Verhauen. I’d buy a mooseknuckle tomorrow if I had the cash.

I think there’s some year end close out 2018 Verhauens left for $999.
    Colombus steel for under a grand? Good luck matching that with other brands.
    Don’t modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    I'm riding a Kona Big Unit and like it a lot. You could possibly take a look at the Unit which is steel and complete bike is only $999. I had a Canfield N9 at one time too. Really nice riding bike. A bit heavy but it was steel and an XL frame. Rode super plush though. Then there's the VerHauen since you have some experience with Vassago. I've heard good things about the Spot Rocker but a little more than your budget at $1200. Santa Cruz has the Chameleon which people seem to really like...it's aluminum but under $1000 for frame only.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    ARandomBike That Verhauen finish is bad ass. I noticed that the Verhauen has a slightly lower head tube angle. How does it handle compared to the Jabber? What is the weight on the Verhauen?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I just picked up an Advocate Hayduke. Right now mine is setup geared, but I ordered the SS dropouts and will be converting it over as budget permits. I am not sure about stock levels (I bought mine used), but frame is listed at less than $1000. Only a few rides on it so far, but really happy to switch back to steel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Surly Karate Monkey or Krampus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator Bait View Post
    ARandomBike That Verhauen finish is bad ass. I noticed that the Verhauen has a slightly lower head tube angle. How does it handle compared to the Jabber? What is the weight on the Verhauen?
    My Jabberwocky was a later year model, there was less than 1 degree difference in HTA. I didn’t notice any dramatic difference. I don’t know what year your bike is, but Vassago geometry wasn’t ever radically different from bike to bike, so I’d expect a Verhauen to handle much like your Jabber, albeit a bit longer because it’s optimized for 29+ now. Regular 29 works great, but the chainstays are made with 3.0 clearance.
    I think the geometry and handling is spot on for what I want from a bike, but not only is handling a personal thing, it’s regionally influenced. What is ‘quick handling’ and ‘nimble’ to one man, is ‘twitchy’ to another.
    Personally I like long bikes that are ‘stable’, but that’s the nature of AZ desert riding. Rocks, sand, more rocks, and not a lot of tight hard turns.

Lastly, my Jabberwocky was a small- it weighed 6 pounds almost to the gram. My Verhauen is a medium, it’s a 2017 made with OX platinum, it weighs 4.52 pounds.
    Don’t modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    If I had an extra grand laying around I'd be ordering a Verhauen for sure.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Voodoo has a 27.5 and 29er, Reynolds 853 for about $1100, I have seen them 10 - 15% off a few times. Have been thinking about getting one of their ti 29+ frames.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    I have a Jabberwocky with Paragon 12mm sliders. I love the geometry as it's quite long in the front.

If I has more money, I would have gotten a Verhauen.

Chumba offerings look good too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the responses. I loved my Jabber and should have my butt kicked for selling it. I'd really like to have another one or a Verhauen but not sure if I can wait 2 months, since they are out of stock.

Here's the Jabber I built.

SS specific frame-bike.jpg

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz Chameleon frame can be had for $750. Alloy but can run single speed with the adjustable dropouts using the boost geared ones or the singlespeed specific ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator Bait View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I loved my Jabber and should have my butt kicked for selling it. I'd really like to have another one or a Verhauen but not sure if I can wait 2 months, since they are out of stock.

Here's the Jabber I built.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	186.5 KB 
ID:	1196607
    worth the wait, or get a Jabber at a bit of weight penalty. Vassago did some different things with their geoemtry that no one else has figured out. unfortunately, they have not culculate and published their stack & reach figures, but I have. it's magical.