SS Specific crankset??- Mtbr.com
    Ride till it hurts!

SS Specific crankset??

Hi everyone, looking to build a SS for my wife. I have the perfect frame for her but no drivetrain on it. I am thinking ss would be easier for her to ride, since she wants to start coming with me on the trails. I already understand a few aspects but am unclear about the crank setup. I see something like this or can you just get a non-ramped chain ring and the special bolts. I dont think a bashgaurd is necessary, but do the bashgaurds mount on any set of crankset??

One more question I think I might have a donor crank for the project but have a concern with it. It had some cheapie flat pedals that came with the bike. They bent and started to pull threads out of the crank arm. The bike was returned to the lbs where my buddy bought it from. He was supposed to replace the crank arm itself but said he couldnt get the part. From what it appears he retapped the hole and installed a replacement pedal. These are Truvativ Isoflows. The bike hasnt been ridden enough to give a good workout, but my wife only ways 120 so I am not sure if I should just get another crank arm if possible or invest in another crank. Also unsure how to dissamble the crank (currently installed on the bike )to remove the chain rings. Does any one know of a how-to somewhere???

That's gonna leave a mark
    Here you go.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

mtbr member

Easy

I started with an ancient Sugino cheapa$$ triple crank stripped of it's granny and big, then I moved on to a stunning White Ind crank set (both on my 1fg) and then moved onto a Truvative SS crank on a Ventana El Toro (most issues I've had but I don't think it was the crank that was to blame). Run what you got and upgrade when you know what you want.
    For me I like the WHite Ind the best but it's on an astetic level that I like them because I never had an issue with the Sugino.

Mtbr
    Try the Stylo GXP for a little less than the RaceFace

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/14316-100_TRUSS5-0-Search--/Truvativ-1.1-Guard-Stylo-Single-Speed-Crankset-'07.htm
    2008 Rig

Members who have read this thread: 0