mtbr member
    Aug 2011

SS Specialized Rockhopper

I plan on buying a single speed Specialized Rockhopper next week and wanted to see if it was a good deal.

Here is the ad:

2006/7 Specialized Rockhopper 21" with new avid elixir 5 hydraulic brakes, wtb saddle, easten seat post and riser with monkey bars, yeti grips, panaracer firexcpro 2.1 tires on mavic wheels and hubs, brand new SRAM bottom bracket and crank along with the chain. The only factory part other than the frame is the manitou axel front shock, all of the original gears and equipment that originally came on the bike goes with it for $475.

Some pics

I rode it yesterday for about 20 minutes and was very impressed with the overall performance. He did mention the tensioner slipping if you cranked hard on it up a hill which did happen when I tried. It's a single speed, which I love, and he was the same size as me at 6'2" 170lbs, 21 years old.

What do you all think?

mtbr member
    That's not a bad deal. Not the best deal ever, but his asking price isn't beyond reasonable at all.

nothing to see here
    You may be able to run that tensioner in push up mode to eliminate the slipping. Seems like a good deal. He may be willing to drop the price a little.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    He said he would take the saddle off and and take $400 but it's a $140 WTB saddle so I might just leave it.

nothing to see here
    Well, you're the one paying for it, so if you're comfortable with the price, no point in haggling. Buy it and ride the sh1t out of it.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    if you can find one the 2009 and 2010 29'ers have sliding dropouts eliminating the need for tensioners

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yeah I rode one at a shop and could have got it for about a grand with mineral oil brakes and really good components set up by the shop. But the shop was 2 hours away from my home and the frame was a 17...I'm 6'2" so I sadly passed.

The speed felt really good though and I wish I didn't need a tensioner on this 2006 frame but the bike felt amazing riding it and it's a pretty sweet deal. I buy it Tuesday and am going to Brown County to ride the piss out of it!