SS Set-Up- Mtbr.com

Thread: SS Set-Up

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

SS Set-Up

General question about setting up my SS.

Is their a reason why many SSr's have a more upright set-up? Has anyone tried a lower more aggressive set-up? I figure the upright setup has to do with climbing, but since I live in Florida it is really not a problem.

And, what are the handlebars all so wide? I hear this too is for climbing (leverage) and again in FLA this doesn't really seem necessary but does cause a bit of tree branch trimming on occasion with me ending up on the ground.

I went to a mtb race recently and the SSr's were all upright and the geared guys many down low....I am tempted to get a negative rise stem and trim my handlebars even more,
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2006
    An upright position allows you to move around on the climbs. It is also more comfortable out of the saddle. As for wide bars, you got it: leverage.

For yourself, use what works for you. There's no fashion police. Run bar ends on risers, its all cool.

-Rob.

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by robcycle
    . There's no fashion police. -Rob.
    But wearing a "wife beater" during a race may get REAL police interested in you.

Personally I don't see any reason to set up a SS bike any differently than a multispeed bike.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Keep on Rockin...

Wide bars....

Give you more leverage on climbs. Sort of like bar ends. They also allow you to negotiate rough terrain better.

Up right posture. Most single speeders are getting their power from out of the saddle hammering so the need for a lower - more powerful, while seated - position probably isn't as important. Personally, I keep my position a bit more stretched out on my SS as compared to my FS trail bike. I only stand on my SS when I have to. I find I burn out too quickly when standing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    less wrist-thrashing on rigid forks

mtbr member
    My SS and geared bikes have virtually the same setup. Right now they even have the same handlebar, except the SS has bar ends.

But I don't quite see how an upright setup helps in climbing. If anything, when climbing, I don't want the handlebar to be too high or too close.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    My handlebar used to be lower. I had to be standing but reaching down at the same time. This was very uncomfortable and tiring for me. I was struggling to keep my butt back for traction.

With the higher bar, I can almost stand up when standing up.

Ali

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You could get a off-road drop bar and get the best of both.

mtbr member
    I run a fashion faux pas... I have a riser bar AND bar ends.
    Graeme Hunt Design - www.graemehuntdesign.com

CB2
    Jam Econo
    whatever works for you.
    I personally like a lot of drop to the bars; on my 29'er I have to run the stem upside down to get even close to where I want the bars.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I run a slight riser bar with a negative stem

mtbr member
    I ride a narrow zero rise bar with small bar ends. It is almost the exact same set up as my C'dale Rush. Low and narrow puts me in a comfortable position for climbing. Wider and higher is nicer for descending, but I can gain more time by being comfortable on a climb then on a descent. Just pick what is more comfortable for you.
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm running a 90mm stem, 10 degrees maybe? I found it in my parts bin and I'm too lazy to measure. Perched on the end of it is a Soma Noah's Arc. Narrow, flat, with a little bit of sweep. The riding position is low and aggressive (as you say) and the bar is fairly narrow, like riding a flat bar, but the sweep helps the wrists. I recommend it.

http://somafab.com/arcbar.html

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    You could get a off-road drop bar and get the best of both.
    I considered drop bars at the time; but they didn't work with my Juicy 7 brakes. I looked at many options and finally decided to go with the Mary bars.

Ali

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I run a 10 degree rise stem with a riser bar turned upside down with bar ends.... (LOL)

What ever works for you, just don't be wearing a wife beater. Yo.
    Bike Building and Painting

Crystavox Single Speed Bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by duotone
    ..........just don't be wearing a wife beater. Yo.
    I believe you are seeing the wider bars and rise not so much for climbing, but rather to aid in lower back pain while moving trailers from one trailer park to the next. This is also why there is an influx of wife beater wearing bikers. He did say he is in FL!

Sweep the leg!
    Since I wear 80's and 90's neon road spandex occasionally I feel most qualified to point out fashion faux pas

We've all spotted the wife beater, but since when is wearing a baseball cap under the helmet correct for singlespeeding? Visit your LBS and cough up the money for a helmet visor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Exclusively Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    We've all spotted the wife beater, but since when is wearing a baseball cap under the helmet correct for singlespeeding?
    Dont'cha know? That's "FLA punk rock!"

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by long hazy daze
    Dont'cha know? That's "FLA punk rock!"

you kidz these days

On your left!
    Apr 2007
    i rock a flat bar with bar ends on all my bikes, i never really use the bar ends but they serve a purpose as bark busters. i tried out a wide riser bar once and it was definitely more comfortable but it slowed down the steering too much and I like to ride with my weight farther forward.
    99 GF Big Sur SS 32x16
    07 GF HiFi Pro

02 Subaru WRX wagon
    06 Suzuki DRZ 450 SM

mtbr member
    May 2006
    As far as bars go, I have a flat bar, bar ends, and negative rise stem on the 26" SS, and risers, stem at the bottom of the steerer tube, and bar ends on the 29er. I also have Gary's on the fixed cross bike, and I think I'm going to put some Midges on the 29er when I get the dough.

I tend to prefer a more stretched out riding position with my hands much closer to parallel to the bike than perpendicular. I blame it on countless days of commuting on drops and bullhorns

-Rob.

Exclusively Single
    My 700mm wide risers are about 1.5" above my saddle height. I love it. I ride for fun. I don't race and I don't kid myself.

Members who have read this thread: 0