SS SC Chameleon - Project SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

SS SC Chameleon - Project SS

Hi Everyone,

For the past month, I've been riding on SS mode on my local trails to 1) see if I like it and 2) try and figure out what gear ratio is best. I'm surpised at how much I'm enjoying it - i'm totally hooked!! So, now I want to drop the $$$ to convert it completly. I'll need a new rear wheel for starters, and new brake levers (I have the LX combo now). In addition, possibly a new bottom braket, but I'll leave that to my LBS.

So, can you recommend a rear wheel? I'm thinking of the surley 1x1 hub - only because i've seen alot of it (through advertisements and bike catalogs). I have to go custom, because I *have* to have an orange rim for the rear (so it matches my front)... Long story short, I broke to Gary Fisher Paragon frames, and the only thing that held up was the fork and wheels.. both orange!! BTW, I'm 230lbs - not that it really matters, i'll be "giving up" the dish in the rear wheel, so I assume the SS wheel will be much much stronger.

Thanks everyone!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

don't give up the rear disc

check into it. I remember hearing that the new 1x1 hub now has a disc conversion available. If I can find it, I will let you know, but do a search and you should find discussion.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nmcculloch
    check into it. I remember hearing that the new 1x1 hub now has a disc conversion available. If I can find it, I will let you know, but do a search and you should find discussion.
    Oops. Forgot to mention that I have v-brakes now. I'll probably never (only 'cause I never say never) go to disc brakes. Just don't need them in Michigan.

mm

ol'guy who says hi &waves

Surly 1x1

Picked up a used, home laced wheel with a 1x1 a couple of months ago. It's very convenient and holding up well under my 200# of pounding. Orange is cool. Post pics.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.