SS rigid vs. gear rigid- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

SS rigid vs. gear rigid

What'd you do if you have a rigid forks
    1) put it on a 29er gear bike or 29er SS and why?

master blaster
    whys it gotta be 29er?

i have a rigid ss 26
    and
    i have a rigid ss 27.5

both are rigid because i like rigid
    and
    both are ss because i like ss

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by veloreality
    whys it gotta be 29er?

i have a rigid ss 26
    and
    i have a rigid ss 27.5

both are rigid because i like rigid
    and
    both are ss because i like ss
    It doesn't have to be 29er but that's all i got. I have a gear 29er and a SS 29er. I have one rigid forks and is wondering what bike i should put it on

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Can you not try it on both?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I could try it on both but i am too lazy to switch it back and forth. Also i want to hear what's the rationale for riding rigid SS.

mtbr member
    SS & rigid is simple and reliable.

No fork maintenance is required and you don't have to play with the settings at all. SS means little maintenance beyond adjusting chain tension and clean/lube.

I won't say it's a pure form of riding, but you just get on your bike and go ride with minimal worries. On top of that, it's cheap to keep up a SS drive train and a rigid fork!

I personally have a 29 SS that I run rigid or suspended depending on the trail, but more importantly, the length of the ride.
    It's only funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's hilarious.
    --Bill Hicks

mtbr member
    i have a geared 29er rigid along with a FS 26er.

the mtce free factor is nice but i think the biggest difference for me is that i can ride the bike differently. i can put more power to the pedals standing and push bigger bears than i can on my FS. its a nice way to change it up.

i also commute on my rigid 29er and it definitely feels faster on the rail trail and around town without suspension.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'd put in on the SS. A rigid SS will give you a lightweight, responsive, and silent bike for the type of riding and trails that suit it, and give you the total "basic and simple" experience. Then you'd have the geared hardtail for faster riding and hillier/rockier/rootier trails.

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    +1 for SS

When I got my 29er it was rigid and 3x9... after a few rides I purchased a REBA and rode it squish with 3x9....

Then I switched it to single speed with squish... then squish broke... then I rode it rigid with SS and had the MOST fun on the bike ever...

Now I have my REBA back from warrantee and it is STILL sitting on the work bench because I just love riding it rigid SS so much... I think overall it has made me a better rider on all my bikes...
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by honkonbobo
    i can put more power to the pedals standing and push bigger bears than i can on my FS. its a nice way to change it up.
    Sure, but what do the bears think about it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i ride both of my biokes rigid. ss + Geared. Much Fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for all the replies. I've experiment w/ both SS and gear on a rigid forks over the past week. I've found that rigid goes better w/ SS bike. But I've come to a conclusion that rigid is NOT for me. My body does not appreciate the wrist pain, the shoulder and tricep pain. Over all, it's fun for short ride but above 4hrs and i hate biking. I'll put a Reba XX x/ lock out on it. thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by honkonbobo
    i can put more power to the pedals standing and push bigger bears than i can on my FS. its a nice way to change it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy R
    Sure, but what do the bears think about it?
    Just reading this thread, and this comment caused me to shoot coffee out my nose.

LOL

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    After noticing some of the spelling errors in this thread I am going to speculate that there is some alcohol being consumed during the formulation of some posts. Not that I have ever drank while surfing the threads.

Cthulhu fhtagn
    i like the rigid fork so much on my SS i am think about putting one on my geared bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager
    i like the rigid fork so much on my SS i am think about putting one on my geared bike
    My current plans are to snag up an '09 GT Peace 9er Multi (Rasta paint) and sell my '08 Spec Hardrock Comp disc. If the deal doesn't happen on the GT, I will be snagging up a set of rigid forks to throw on the Hardrock.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'm sold on rigid SS. Its too much fun to go back to geared suspension...until I'm 30. You learn to ride with loose arms and to put your body weight into pedal strokes on climbs, which are good habits even with suspension. And I live in Florida...you don't need gears.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I ride rigid for both SS and Geared, for 26 or 29. If it was a choice between a rigid 29er with gears and an SS with suspension fork, the rigid set-up wins.

Hey, bchrismer are you a St. Louis guy originally? Just wondered since your avatar is the St. Louis radio station KSHE 95's original mascot "Sweet Meat" the pig.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by N10S
    I ride rigid for both SS and Geared, for 26 or 29. If it was a choice between a rigid 29er with gears and an SS with suspension fork, the rigid set-up wins.

Hey, bchrismer are you a St. Louis guy originally? Just wondered since your avatar is the St. Louis radio station KSHE 95's original mascot "Sweet Meat" the pig.
    Hey Jeff,

"What high school did you go to?" would be the appropriate question. St Charles, for me. I expect that some day, I will be asked not to have "Sweet Meat" as my avatar on various message boards, but until then... I've been gone since JC and the U-Man called in the bomb threat to the airport in Iran, back in '84 or so, doing a Ronald Reagan impersonation. What a riot!

Back on topic...after going through my old '89 Giant Iguana, and riding it a few weeks in a row, instead of my Specialized Hardrock with a stock XCM fork, I decided I much preferred riding the rigid. Since then, I bought my SE Stout SS, and haven't ridden a geared/suspended bike since.

mtbr member
    If your on SS, you can't pedal very fast going down, and if its rigid, you don't want to. Uphill is all the benefit.

I see no point in having gears if you can't enjoy hammering down hills at speeds that are just not feasible on rigid.

mtbr member
    I love climbing. I can climb more efficiently (more fun) without the squish. Rigid 29er for me.

mtbr member
    I really think you would do fine either bikes. Dont overthink it. If you are used to riding rigid, putting it on a SS or geared bike would be equally fun .

Would be fun to interchange the rigid/sus on your gearie/SS every now and then too .

Members who have read this thread: 1