SS & Rigid Tyre Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. SS & Rigid Tyre Question

Hi

I'm just wondering if anyone (ahem shiggy! ) has found a tyre that works really well on a SS and Rigid MTB? I'm still on 26's for the time being, but I'm after something tubeless, grippy in all conditions, good at rolling and light. I'm used to running tyres 2.1 to 2.35. I don't want much do I?!

My thinking is a tyre on a rigid SS should be comfortable, easy rooling and have good grip. I've noticed now that the UK's weather has got a bit damper, that my Spider USTs don't tend to have great grip when climbing steep stuff due to the amount of torque going through the back wheel. They also suck in gloopy mud!

Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    On my Surly 1x1, I am running the following tires right now, they are a Kenda 2.1 Nevegal in the rear and a Kenda Kinetic stick E rubber 2.6 in the front on a rigid fork. The kinetic has directional knobs and rolls great and well it is a big tire so it grips and corners awesome too. I use the 2.6 because it gives me just the right amount of cushion to ride aggressive on a rigid fork and is basically the same size as a Nevegal 2.5 if you count knob hight. Nevegal in the rear is amazing. That tire is a wonderful tire in all conditions. I ride East Coast sloppy singletrack and those tires have been great for me. Hope this helps. JC

mtbr member
    Hey that helps loads thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Oh and I use them tubeless w/ stans strips and sealant. They are great to use tubeless as well. No issues. Later my man, I will post a pic of my bike in a bit so you can see the bigger tire in front doesn't look "dumb" haha. later bud, JC

mtbr member
    That would be sweet thanks! :thumsbup:

I use Eclipse tubelesskits or Mavic XM819 UST rims...

mtbr member

another

Nevegal 2.1 fan here. I run it on the rear. Nice combo of grip and smoothness without feeling like its slowing me down. Seems really puncture resistant too.

I've been running a Weirwolf 2.5 on the front for awhile too. It works well at 30psi for me and adds some suspension to the front without a big weight penalty.

MC

Keep on Rockin...

Comfort or speed?

Mutano 2.4 or Schwalbe RR 2.4 up front for speed.

For comfort any giant tire would will do. Maybe a 2.5 nevegal.

A Real Winner.

Wow!

I thought I was the only one using Kenda Nevgal 2.1's on a SS! This is a really good all around tire. They are not the fastest tires though. I tried the Karmas, but I found that the Nevgals just handled and climbed better. I also tried the Nevgal up front/Karma in the back, but I could feel the rear not hooking up as well in some climbs. Maybe it was all mental, I don't know, but I definetely like the Nevgals on the front and rear.
    www.cycletofitness.com It's only a super-awesome website for a super-awesome store. Just click it. I dare you.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J
    ...I'm after something tubeless, grippy in all conditions...
    That says Spider to me. Nothing I know of is going to be better. I have not had issues with climbing traction either.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Old School Steel!
    I run Schwalbe Big Betty in front and a Fat Albert in the back.
    This Combo is really cushy, climbs and turns well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    That says Spider to me. Nothing I know of is going to be better. I have not had issues with climbing traction either.
    Hi shiggy.

Yeah I think the tyres are great in most conditions apart from gloopy mud, but before writing them off for the Autmn/Winter I should really give them a second chance. I might even swap front to rear as I looked at the rears and like cars, it looks like my penchant for sideways action has had its' tole on the back tyre!

I toook your advice in the first place buying these tyres and they've only let me down once, so thanks!

What pressures would you suggest running?

mtbr member
    i run continental ust tyres that are 2.3's on my rigid ss. i don't really know about the weight or rolling resistance but they do wonders on rough trails.

bicyclist
    I've been running pana fire XC pros, but it's looking like I'll switch up to some conti Diesel 2.5s
    YUM
    People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up.
    Tom Waits

mtbr member
    I love Panaracer tyres always have, but up until now they've been pretty limited when it comes to UST.

The Rampage will be avaialble as a 2.1 tyre in UST, how do you think that would fair shiggy?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fish man
    I've been running pana fire XC pros, but it's looking like I'll switch up to some conti Diesel 2.5s
    YUM
    Ha ha, just came off Conti Digga's (2.5) and went to XC Pros, if you want a smoking deal ($50 for both Digga's, I can get picks). The Digga's I have only have about 100 miles on them. I LOVED the Digga's, I just can't push the weight. PM me if you have an interest, my rigid SS was pushing 30lbs so I had to make several changes.
    Cheers,
    miSSionary
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

Members who have read this thread: 0