SS Rigid - my only MTB now- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

SS Rigid - my only MTB now

I had a geared, front suspension bike and a rigid SS. I used the geared bike as a donor bike to build my girlfriend a MTB. Now my Surly Karate Monkey is my only MTB. I've been riding 90% single-rigid for the last 1.5 years here in Utah. The last time I got on my geared bike I felt awkward and clumsy. So there it is...
    --------------------------------
    Single Rigid Surly KM

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggles_dad
    I had a geared, front suspension bike and a rigid SS. I used the geared bike as a donor bike to build my girlfriend a MTB. Now my Surly Karate Monkey is my only MTB. I've been riding 90% single-rigid for the last 1.5 years here in Utah. The last time I got on my geared bike I felt awkward and clumsy. So there it is...
    Congratulations. In my experience, Utah is a sick place to ride rigid SS. You da man.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    The last time I got on my geared bike I felt awkward and clumsy. So there it is...
    What he said...

Built my Vassago Jabberwocky up. Tried riding the geared GF bike, and it didn't ride worth a sh*t, so I sold it!

Now all I ride is a SS! although I'm considering a 1X9 to complement the SS for the upcoming race season, is this wrong???
    2008 Trek 69er SS
    2010 Vassago Jabberwocky SS

Ovaries on the Outside
    Love to ride in Utah. I would think the rocks would suck rigid, but good on ya for doing it...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Good work. I have a KM SS, and a geared. The KM sees 90% of my ride time.

I might not be far behind you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you can only have one bike, a Karate Monkey is a darned fine choice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Love to ride in Utah. I would think the rocks would suck rigid, but good on ya for doing it...
    Over long periods of time... yes... they can suck. However, 90% of my riding is in the Wasatch front which is actually mostly buff trails. I find the advantage of a suspension pretty much 6's in the Wasatch.
    --------------------------------
    Single Rigid Surly KM

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    SS rigid is the only MTB there is, isn't it?
    True North custom chromoly SS Rigid 29er. FUN+

Members who have read this thread: 0