Cheaa

SS/Rigid fork conversion, sell me on it?

I have an 09 Diamond Back Response Sport hardtail. Is it it worth it to convert too single speed? I would love to save weight , money on tune ups, and not worrying about shifting. This looks like a great kit ( it seems) SEE LINK . I also read I would need a tensioner.... Next I read guys are going with a rigid fork, basically because it's simple to sum it up. How does that hold up to jumps? Great thing is I was shopping for a new fork but rigid may be worth taking a look at I read a bit but would like to hear people who had both suspension/shifters and ss/rigid....Thanks you !!

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...rsion+Kit.aspx
    Last edited by dstaks; 07-17-2011 at 08:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    A friend of mine had that bike. Beefy and stiff. Nice bike. I think any bike is single speed worthy check out the "Post your Single Speed" thread. You’ll see all kinds. Single speed is not as hardcore as you think. Just a different type of riding. A lot more out of the saddle riding and on the flats you sometimes spin out. I love not changing gears and not hearing a slaping chain. You probably will want to get a few cogs for the rear. Maybe a 18 and a 16 for your 26er. There's a big difference in each of those. your crankset will work fine, just remove the 1 and 3 chainring. As for the kit you have picked out I would look into the kits that have multiple spacers. That way you can get your chain line perfect. That's pretty important for a quiet and trouble free drive train. I like the Surly Singleator tensioner. As far as the rigid fork you'll just have to try it and see. I like it for the climbing and the corning and braking is predictable. Most places I ride are flowy hardpack without a lot of roots and rocks and it still took a little time to get used to it.Don't worry about jumping, look at the BMX guys, all rigid. If it doesn't work out you'll be out of $40 on ebay. If you’re still shopping for a fork look at one with a lock out. Ebay has used Rock Shox Reba Race's all the time for around $225. Since you mentioned weight savings that's a great fork. Only half a pound more than most steel rigids.
    Last edited by JasonByers; 07-17-2011 at 08:58 AM.

Cheaa
    Thanks for the response and advice! What do you recommend as a as a single speed kit ? Also do I have to buy something to remove 1 and 3? Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    All you need is an allen wrench for the granny gear I think a 5mm. The big gear and middle are bolted together with the same bolt plus a funny looking nut. You need something to hold the nut, it's slotted. all the need is a wide piece of thin metal to fit in the grooves, you'll figure it out. The nut is also the spacer for the two rings so you might have to buy these with a shorter nut if you don't want to run a bash ring http://www.amazon.com/BLACK-Single-S.../dp/B002I7REMU.

Just searching amazon i found this http://www.amazon.com/Single-Speed-C...uct/B0014X6TM0 don't know how good it is but it's cheap if you want to try single speed out. With this kit you'll need to reuse your lockring from you cassette.

Cheaa
    Ok thanks that clears things up, I'm going to research a tad more before I make my final decision! But this is what I'll be ordering if I do click the buy button

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...speed+Kit.aspx
    Last edited by dstaks; 07-17-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Kicker of Elves
    Are you going to need something to get the drive side crank off? Don't know what cranks are on a 09 DB Response Sport off the top of my head but I might google it here in a minute.

Edit: yeah you will.

mtbr member
    The fork. Rigid is fine for jumping, you just need to be good at landing. You lose a good amount of front end weight when you ditch the squishy fork. The handling is more predictable, and refined. It's rigid. I have a couple of rigid bikes now, and I love them. I don't ride as fast on descents as I do with a suspended front end, but I enjoy the rides as much as ever. I spend more time jumping over stuff on the way down rather than plowing through and letting my fork take the brunt of the hits. It's not for everyone, so be prepared to give it a few rides before you make a decision.

As for the SS kit, that Wheels kit looks good. You may want to look into using a piece of PVC pipe for spacers, and buying a few BMX cogs though. It could be around the same price in the end, but you'll be able to play around with the gearing.

Cheaa
    Quote Originally Posted by 120 View Post
    Are you going to need something to get the drive side crank off? Don't know what cranks are on a 09 DB Response Sport off the top of my head but I might google it here in a minute.

Edit: yeah you will.
    I just googled it, but couldn't find it..What did you google?

Quote Originally Posted by jtrops View Post
    The fork. Rigid is fine for jumping, you just need to be good at landing. You lose a good amount of front end weight when you ditch the squishy fork. The handling is more predictable, and refined. It's rigid. I have a couple of rigid bikes now, and I love them. I don't ride as fast on descents as I do with a suspended front end, but I enjoy the rides as much as ever. I spend more time jumping over stuff on the way down rather than plowing through and letting my fork take the brunt of the hits. It's not for everyone, so be prepared to give it a few rides before you make a decision.

Yea, I can always switch back so I'm not afraid to try it. Plus the rigid forks are cheap so I won't be out that much If I dont like it..

As for the SS kit, that Wheels kit looks good. You may want to look into using a piece of PVC pipe for spacers, and buying a few BMX cogs though. It could be around the same price in the end, but you'll be able to play around with the gearing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Yep I forgot, to pull the granny ring you'll have to take the drive side crank arm off and since you have a cartridge style BB you'll probably need a crank puller. They are cheap, like @15 for a Park Tool online but the bike shop will probably do it for around $5. Sounds like it's starting to add up in money especially since you’re just interested in trying it. If you want you really don't have to remove any rings at first. Just use your middle ring for a while. Give it a 100 miles and see if you like SSing first.

Also you can youtube anything, I've learned a lot from youtube. here's a video of how to remove a crank arm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6aHv...eature=related The nut might be a little different but the pulling will be just like this.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I SS'd my Diamondback Apex (2004) and love it! I took off all the chainrings on my Suntour crank and replaced them with a single ring. I got a cheap unsprung tensioner, took apart 2 cassettes for the spacers, got a SS cog and SS chain and it has transformed my riding. Now I just concentrate on riding - not shifting. It's quiet, smooth and reliable.

I am also considering a rigid fork...

Cheaa
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonByers View Post
    Yep I forgot, to pull the granny ring you'll have to take the drive side crank arm off and since you have a cartridge style BB you'll probably need a crank puller. They are cheap, like @15 for a Park Tool online but the bike shop will probably do it for around $5. Sounds like it's starting to add up in money especially since you’re just interested in trying it. If you want you really don't have to remove any rings at first. Just use your middle ring for a while. Give it a 100 miles and see if you like SSing first.

Also you can youtube anything, I've learned a lot from youtube. here's a video of how to remove a crank arm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6aHv...eature=related The nut might be a little different but the pulling will be just like this.
    Bookmarked that vid Thanks for letting me know on the tool appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by divernick View Post
    I SS'd my Diamondback Apex (2004) and love it! I took off all the chainrings on my Suntour crank and replaced them with a single ring. I got a cheap unsprung tensioner, took apart 2 cassettes for the spacers, got a SS cog and SS chain and it has transformed my riding. Now I just concentrate on riding - not shifting. It's quiet, smooth and reliable.

I am also considering a rigid fork...
    Chime in please if you do go rigid I would like to hear to thoughts

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just did my first singlespeed conversion about four weeks ago on my 26er with suspension fork. I used the Wheels Manufacturing conversion kit which comes with many thinner spacers, which made it super easy to to get my chain line set up. It tried to use a half link an find a "magic gear," but after a couple of dropped chains I put a Surley singleator chain tensioner on. I love the tensioner and haven't had a dropped chain since.

As for the rigid fork: I liked the singlespeed so much that I sold one of my road bikes and picked up a Salsa Selma with a White Brothers rigid carbon fork. I love the rigid fork. It climbs so much better and with the 29 inch wheels it descends nicely. I dropped almost ten minutes on my 18 mile singletrack loop with the Selma.

Cheaa
    Sweet, I'm going to ride in a single gear for awhile see if I like it and go from there..I know what rigid fork I want too. My bikes heavy hopefully I can shed pounds. i can't find out what hub this bike uses, the kit im looking at says it only works with Shimano and Shimano-compatible 8/9sp freehub bodies..
    Last edited by dstaks; 07-18-2011 at 09:02 AM.