ss ride from colorado springs to aspen- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

ss ride from colorado springs to aspen

7 of us rode from colorado springs to aspen on sat the 7th. we all rode single
    speed road bikes. we left at 430 in the morning. it took roughly 13
    hours (give or take) and was 180 miles (from my door). we climbed over 4 mountain passes. the last one being independence pass. here are some pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottbo...11139337/show/
    or
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottbo...7605511139337/

mtbr member
    Scott and Co.
    That's a seriously [email protected]$$ ride fellas! Congrats on a fantastic epic! What time did you get into Aspen? I was thinking that the ride on a geared roadie would be plenty tough - but that's BUUUURLEEEEE!

You are all now in the hero's club - which currently only has 2 folks in it and both have the last name LaLonde ...

As they say in France:Chapeau...

I'm also curious as to what gearing each of you used.

S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

mtbr member
    thanks! we pretty much all used a 42-17 give or take a few teeth here or there. one of the guys from salida that went rode it on a fixie with a basket, fenders and 38c tires. its a ride one guy does every year from his house. this year was the biggest turn out. we had riders from ft. collins, fruita and salida come all the way down for it. i hope next year has a good turn out as well. i know i will be there!

mtbr member
    Looks like an awesome time - really cool stuff!

mtbr member
    That is awesome, Way to go!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    ok...its official...im moving to colorado

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by xcutterx
    one of the guys from salida that went rode it on a fixie with a basket, fenders and 38c tires.
    That would be Jason Shelman. I saw the title of this thread and though "this looks like something Shelman would have done" and low and behold here he is with you guys. He use to live in Fort Collins but now is in Salida. Finished 2nd at the Colorado Trail Race this year, would have won hadn't he broken his fork I heard....
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Hi,

amaaaaazing!

As we say in Spain, ícon dos cojones!

Well done.

Occasionally engagedů
    A friend and I did that same ride in a day back in 1981. We massed about 200 pounds between the two of us, so the climbing was no big deal, but we sure got hammered by the winds in south park. I remember each of us whining to the other about not pulling enough -- at our weight and low power output we were great wheel-suckers until the tarmac pointed up. We also did it unsupported, refueling in Hartsel and Buena Vista. That ride wet my appetite for long point-to-point or big loop rides...

I think you guys need to step it up next year. How about the Durango Death Loop next time -- Durango to Silverton to Ouray to Ridgeway to Telluride to Dolores to Mancos to Hesperus to Durango, a cool 210 miles and 25K of climbing.

http://www.mapmytri.com/ride/united-...ango/358056241
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

Members who have read this thread: 0