SS rear wheel 142x12 axle- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

SS rear wheel 142x12 axle

Hi,
    I'm looking for a dedicated, purpose built SS rear wheel with a 142x12mm thru-axle hub. Where could I find one, or who could build one for me? I could easily put a SS cog on my Shimano hub but would prefer a strong, light 'dished for SS' wheel.
    Thanks!
    Jeff

mtbr member
    Hope trials hub laced to your rim of choice.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks Nubster. Exactly what I was looking for. Expensive...but which good aren't.

mtbr member
    2nd the Hope trials suggestion. Further, in comparison to CK, I9, Hadley, DT, Onyx... not that expensive.

Also, what do you mean by dished for SS? I think most SS disc hubs are darn near dishless.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yeh hubs are just expensive. I own a rear SDH Hadley, no dislikes really, it spins well. I'll probably wind up going the hope route because they are the least expensive. I was simply referring to a SS specific wheel..yes correct, after reading into it more, seems that SS wheels are built with almost no dish.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Hope Pro 4 trials is what I am running on my Unit.

Edit: King makes one too, but costs as much as an entire wheelset built onto the Hopes.

mtbr member
    Gonna go against the Hope grain here in the 142x12 format, there is a weakness in the aluminum axle at the sealed bearing to needle bearing interface, have broken one. I will say customer service was awesome, they offered up a steel replacement which I gladly accepted. Don't think they even sell 142x12 anymore due to this issue. Spend a bit more for a Hadley.

SS rear wheel 142x12 axle-hope_axle.jpg

mtbr member
    I'm on a Hope Pro 2 EVO 142x12 and it's been perfect. It's a geared hub with spacers that way if I ever had the need to run a cassette...I can. I had a CK SS hub and it was nice for sure but not so nice that it's worth the premium price over the Hope. I got mine for a great deal used or I'd never would have picked one up. I'm picking up a another front and rear Hope hub set (Pro 4's) for a gravel bike wheel set. IMO...between how nice they look, how great the roll, my personal experience with them, awesome customer support, and cheap price...unless something drastic happens, I'm Hope hubs for life. I mean seriously...show me a hub that's as good as the Hopes that costs less considering you can get the rear and front for around $250.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    I didn't say to get CKs, overpriced at this point. Hadleys are not much more than Hopes and construction much more solid angular contact bearings so you can set preload, best of all no end caps. With Hopes they use end caps so hub can flex internally aluminum only has so many stress cycles before it breaks and the SS has different internals than the regular Hope hubs.As you can see in the pic above, not much material especially considering its aluminum. Now that I have the steel axle it's pretty much bombproof though.

I'm not the only one to break the SS trials version in 142x12, bolt version is good though

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    I didn't say to get CKs,
    Didn't say you did...but someone else mentioned them so I posted my thoughts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    CK just announced their 142x12 SS hub. It was fun bolts only until recently.

I love my I9 SS, but would have gotten CK if they had 142 at the time.

Wait, I think the Superfly SS has a dishless rear wheel. Maybe you can find a used one for sale somewhere, or order from Trek.p

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Great input. Much appreciated. Regarding your broken Hope trials hub...All of our mtb components are subject to unintentional wear. The components we buy can be considered a cost rather than an investment. It broke, now you have an even stronger hub with the steel axle! I'm not partial really to any brand hub but i do want a SS specific build..I already have 10-11 spd Shimano and XD driver for my Hadley SDH rear.
    If anyone knows of a used SS rear wheel for sale. lmk. I built up a wheel on prowheelbuilder.com using Hope trial & Flow rims, the price came to 400 something. Seems like a good deal.

mtbr member
    Parts will cost you $320-ish if you buy them yourself...so figure in whatever you think labor is fair and you can judge if the prowheelbuilder price is good or not.

For the wheel build I'm doing...I can buy the parts and have my shop do the build for around $450 total for front and rear. Same build through prowheelbuilder will cost me $680 shipped.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Maybe I didn't make it to the step in the process that factors in labor costs..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GEF_4 View Post
    Great input. Much appreciated. Regarding your broken Hope trials hub...All of our mtb components are subject to unintentional wear. The components we buy can be considered a cost rather than an investment. It broke, now you have an even stronger hub with the steel axle! I'm not partial really to any brand hub but i do want a SS specific build..I already have 10-11 spd Shimano and XD driver for my Hadley SDH rear.
    If anyone knows of a used SS rear wheel for sale. lmk. I built up a wheel on prowheelbuilder.com using Hope trial & Flow rims, the price came to 400 something. Seems like a good deal.
    Going by the forum search when I broke the axle after 6 months of use, this is not an isolated incident. If you're a clyde, it should be taken into consideration. That they had an unlisted steel replacement says something also. Most importantly though they came thru on customer service without any questions except if I would like a steel replacement axle, just sent them a pic traded 2 emails and part came in the mail a week later. Hub was easy to rebuild with common tools.

I see used SS rears wheels come up often on ebay and craiglist. I'd try there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GEF_4 View Post
    Maybe I didn't make it to the step in the process that factors in labor costs..
    Well...I think it's all included in the quote as you "build" you wheels. There's not an added labor cost. So if I build just a rear wheel...it comes to $434 shipped. The price of the parts added up plus shipping. So they add their labor to the cost of the parts.

Buying my own parts and having my shop do the build...I can get a front and rear built for about the same price as just the rear from prowheelbuilder.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I've been really happy with these from Projcet 321.
    I9 internals

PROJECT 321 | Products: PROJECT 321 Single Speed Rear Hub

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by AppleYak View Post
    I've been really happy with these from Projcet 321.
    I9 internals

PROJECT 321 | Products: PROJECT 321 Single Speed Rear Hub
    These look pretty badass, but they're ~$400 (just for hubs). I went with the Hopes

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I've owned a Hadley SS hub for over 10 years. First as a bolt on SS hub with Ti bolts and then later converted to TA with a completely compatible 142X12 one piece axle. First let me point out some specs, Hadley hubs have one piece axle conversions. Not some cheesy end caps. They all come with a Ti free hub body option.
    Now if you ride your SS all the time that's a lot of stress and aluminum free hubs won't last. Furthermore if your riding a SS don't bother with a larger geared free hub because your missing out on the stiffer stronger zero dish wheel with the wider hub flanges. FYI a 142x12 SS hub is still wider flanged than the new 148x12 geared hub.
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by hardmtnbiker View Post
    Now if you ride your SS all the time that's a lot of stress and aluminum free hubs won't last.
    This is incorrect. By a country mile.

Separately, DT Swiss now offers a 12 x 142 axle for their SS rear hub.