SS Rear Hubs, Spin on FW or Spaced Cassette...what ya us'in?- Mtbr.com
    Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here. SS Rear Hubs, Spin on FW or Spaced Cassette...what ya us'in?

What do you prefer and why?

I use both, but feel the spin on FW builds the strongest wheel, but have had no problems with cassette wheels, so it's a toss up for me both work fine.

Additional question:

What is the largest cog spin on FW you have seen for sale?...
    ...personally, I have a 22t FW from a 3 wheeler trike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i have a 24t freewheel at home dont know where it came from though

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I run a hope SS hub. Didn't even really look into the FW's when I was building the bike. I run a 22T rear cog and I think selection for bigger FW's was an issue when I was looking so ruled them out early.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Cassette.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I've always done cassette hub. Glad I did. I have a knee injury right now and I can't do SS until I get my legs back.

The other bonus is that SS hubs are a bit of a target audience and if you compulsively change things like me, it is good to have more people interested.

mtbr member
    Currently I have a spaced cassette hub on my bike but I recently picked up a SS hub that I'm having built for a SS specific wheel. I can only assume it will work better as it's (supposed to be) a better hub than I have currently.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Single speed specific cassette hubs like my Hope trials still build strong wheels, I also use a white industries eno FW hub on my vertical dropout rocky. Cheap nasty dicta freewheel on it mind and I enjoy the engagement of the Hope trials more

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cassette

If you change gears often like I've done for the last 13 yrs, putting 3 different cogs on a regular cassette hub works well and is easier than spinning a FW off each time I want a different gear. I usually have a 16/18/20 or similar variation on my 1x1 and I don't have to break the chain when I switch gears. Surly makes cogs up to 23 I think.

P

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    i'm using a white industries hub with a trails eno freewheel. Solid set up, I knew the gear ratio I like from the get go, I have a few front chain rings (32, 34, 36, need 31 and 33 to choose from as well. Other then geared bikes no time on anything splined.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    dt 240s single speed used here. Add the 36 tooth upgrade and you've got an awesome ss hub.

A Gentleman and a MTBR'
    Mar 2007
    I've used regular cassette hubs spaced for SS (XT), SS specific Cassettes (generic), shimano freewheels, and currently on a WI freewheel screwed on a Phil Wood Hub. The WI/PHIL is my favorite, but that could just be the fact that it's the nicest wheel I've ridden.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Cassette hub with spacers. 21t surly.

mtbr member
    I've used freewheels before, and after 2 stuck ones, having to cut them off, and all that nonsense, never again. Cassette freehub + spacers + quality cogs from now on. There are just too many advantages (adjustable chainline, easily changed cogs, multi-gear options, easier to find a wheel since you can convert any hub, etc, etc) for me.

I have one of each. I like the cassette.

mtbr member
    Spaced cassette because you can switch back to geared if you're feeling like a traitor.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have a cassette wheel set and just built up a singe speed wheel set.

I needed threaded axles on the rear and I know the gear I like to run on the back so I went with a WI trials FW.

With the cassette wheel set extra I can run different gear, tires, ect. I see the value and benefits of both.
    ACCESS Stealth 3.0 carbon 29'er
    GT-R Pro
    Surly 1x1
    Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm on my second Chris King SS cassette hub, and don't picture myself using anything else. Depending on the time of year, and how my legs are feeling I like to switch between 18,17,16t cogs. I'd rather not deal with a freewheel replacement, and I feel the King ring drive is plenty strong enough for me.

SS Pusher Man
    Prefer the flexibility and resale of a regular 9spd hub.

Cogs are not as expensive.......
    Easier to swap out cogs......
    Can run gears if you want......
    More hub options.......
    Haven't had any wheel weakness issues.....
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    WI Freewheel here. It's been on a Paul hub for years and the combo has been flawless. Any time you can put gear on and forget about it for the next 5 years, in my mind, its earned its keep.
    Cheers,
    Matt

live long and huck
    2 flawless years on my WI/Paul combo.
    Low and slack.

Members who have read this thread: 0