SS racers gearing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

SS racers gearing

i have seen the light and have decided to build up a ss racer out of a trek stp 400 i have laying around.. i have most of the parts but have to get some clogs/chainrings..what gearing are most of you racers running..the races i am going to do are in mtns of colorado so its either up or down the mtns on most races.. i am thinking about 32/18..

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    i (and quite a few others around here) ride SS in colorado. i've got mine set at 32x20. but i also spin like a mad b@stard. 32x18 is a good place to start; if you need higher or lower, it's easy to go from there. cogs are cheap!

for general riding, i'm good with a 32x18, but i like doing some techy stuff, and the extra oomph of the 20 cog lets me do more of that, a bit easier, and i don't really lose much. thinking of going in-between the two, and going 34x20 once summer hits.

that said, i haven't raced mine in colorado. raced it most of a summer in the new england area (boston), and used 32x18 there, but put on the 20 after moving back here, to the land of longer sustained climbs.

so, uh, yeah, try 32x18 and go from there. try out a few ratios to see what you like, and by the time race season starts, you should have an idea of what'll work for you, and a selection of cogs to swap for differing races, if need be. hope that helps.0
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u
    i have seen the light and have decided to build up a ss racer out of a trek stp 400 i have laying around.. i have most of the parts but have to get some clogs/chainrings..what gearing are most of you racers running..the races i am going to do are in mtns of colorado so its either up or down the mtns on most races.. i am thinking about 32/18..
    I don't know about you guys but I run a lot lower gear for racing then I do for riding??? I use 36/16 for everything but have gone as low as 32/20 here in West-by-g0d-Virginia

"Mr. Britannica"

highly terrain and fitness dependent

Not in CO anymore and wasn't into SS when I was. That said, for east coast stuff I usually run a 32x17, or 32x16 for flatter areas. Ran a 32x18 at a race in Fontana recently, thinking it a good idea due to poor fitness and more mountainous course, and is was miserably low... never again will I run a gear that low in a race.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

32x18

You can always go HARDER!

Eric

My post is that way --->
    Jan 2004
    Not sure I'd describe myself as a "racer" but I do the occasional one, more likely endurance stylee.

My theory is that you're best off sticking with the one that you're most used to. Not just from a "run what you brung" point of view, but because you just know how it rides and it will be less frustrating. Now if you're going somewhere with dramatically different terrain to what you're used to then that is different - I certainly geared down for the champs in Downieville, thankfully.
    Wibble