SS racers- Mtbr.com

Thread: SS racers

Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008

SS racers

What do you bring to your races? Different cogs? I plan on racing some SS this season, but I don't know what I should bring to the races. Race what I have and HTFU?

is buachail foighneach me
    Nothing wrong with using an appropriate gear for a given course. If you don't know what the course is going to be like, it might not hurt to have a few options before the start. Pre-ride and decide. Just make sure that you've trained at least a little in the gear you end up using. Run what ya brung works fine as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Ride your bike. Then drink. The order isn't really set in stone. You haven't been around SS'ers have you?

Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
    Ride your bike. Then drink. The order isn't really set in stone. You haven't been around SS'ers have you?
    I actually have. Don't try to act ironically elite.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I only dabble in races maybe 3-4 times a season, and when I do I generally don't have the competitive mindset that should come with competing, so maybe take my words with a grain of salt.

The one and only race where I changed my gearing I got absolutely destroyed. I'd been running the new gear for maybe a week or so leading up to the race, and it was just a touch higher than the gear I normally run (two tooth difference in back). I think there's a lot to be said for the body's ability to really adapt to whatever gear its used to. I blew up my legs on the climbs, wasn't resting as much in the flats, and in general very very slow, even though the course was not all that demanding. My legs were just not syncing to what my eyes were seeing. Based on that experience I don't think I ever really plan to change gearing for a race unless I have time to put a lot of miles in on the new gearing first. My poor result also could have been caused by a hangover (some people call it drinking, I call it carb loading).

Now I just bring a half full water bottle (but drink lots in the hour or two leading up to start time), a flask of hammer gel, tube/CO2 and a cooler to keep me company at the finish line waiting for the fast open class guys to come through.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I've never brought a selection of cogs to a race, but I know guys who do. I do obsessively research how much climbing there is per lap to give me an idea on how I should gear.

mtbr member
    I do obsessively research how much climbing there is per lap to give me an idea on how I should gear.
    I do the same thing, but then I get lazy and keep the old ratio anyway. If only I could tell the google to change my cog for me.

But it would be kinda nice to be able to pre-ride the course and switch gears before hand.

Otherwise, I race with two bottles, a gel flask, 2 co2's, a multitool, and a tube.
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    This year I will be racing more than I have for years (thanks to deciding that SS was the way to exclusively go last year).

I'm going to do the pre-rides the Tuesday before the Thursday race with my "standard" 19T on the back and then either move +/- 1 tooth depending on how the course is marked.

Meat Clever
    Quote Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by locobaylor
    I actually have. Don't try to act ironically elite.
    Lighten-up, it was a joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

master blaster
    i do all my races ss pretty much. sometimes ill pack another cog but ibe never needed to use it. i run what i brung.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDummy
    Lighten-up, it was a joke.
    Crazy how you know his/her state of mind when writing that. Please inform me of what lottery numbers to pick.

Teen Wolf
    run what i brung 99% of the time. sometimes i go there thinking i'm going to change it, but once i pre-ride it and then start drinking i usually just say F it and keep my setup that i came with

Jun 2008
    alright, that sounds great. thanks for all the advice and help. I guess i'll just bring a combo that i'm comfortable with and deal with it when i pre-ride and race. next question: i've been reading about how times (when being compared to, say, cat 2 racers) are faster on a ss than the "other" racers. could I just race my ss in the cat 2 division and hopefully place higher than if i raced in the ss specific category? why NOT do that?

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by locobaylor
    alright, that sounds great. thanks for all the advice and help. I guess i'll just bring a combo that i'm comfortable with and deal with it when i pre-ride and race. next question: i've been reading about how times (when being compared to, say, cat 2 racers) are faster on a ss than the "other" racers. could I just race my ss in the cat 2 division and hopefully place higher than if i raced in the ss specific category? why NOT do that?
    The only indisputable reason to race in the ss division as opposed to your age group at your ability level is that you really want to make sure everyone knows that you were on a ss. Plenty of people feel differently, but I'm anti ss division. It's a bike, not a handicap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    New to SS here, but what I gather from this post, is that it is not unusual to race an SS rig in a geared class? Isn't that a huge disadvantage?

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by elf28p
    New to SS here, but what I gather from this post, is that it is not unusual to race an SS rig in a geared class? Isn't that a huge disadvantage?
    Depends on the course and the rider.
    I'm a smaller rider so on courses with a lot of climbing and not too much fireroad, I can do well. On more of a power course, flatter with more fireroad sections, it can be more of a struggle for me, but might favor a lager rider who can push a bigger gear.

Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    The only indisputable reason to race in the ss division as opposed to your age group at your ability level is that you really want to make sure everyone knows that you were on a ss. Plenty of people feel differently, but I'm anti ss division. It's a bike, not a handicap.
    As far as I've seen, SS'ers have been faster though...

mtbr member
    I guess it is dependant on the course.... If I dont race this year I def want to try at least one race next year
    SS Rigid =
    Quote Originally Posted by gjenkins@
    There is no distraction. You only hear the sound of your breath and the crunch of the wheels across the dirt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach

Interesting. This year I am getting into racing, and should gain possession of my SS any day now.

I am on the fence as where to race. I registered for my first race as beginner/age, but was thinking maybe I should move to SS. However, in our area the beginner and sport SS is in the same class, so essentially is a "sport SS" class with some beginners.

I am just unsure due to the fact I am truly a beginner in racing, and riding a SS.

master blaster
    i usally sign up in cat 2 ss. now and then i wil ldo cat 3 19-29 while still riding ss.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

mtbr member
    The top guys are usually geared, but overall as an average I would say the ss guys are faster. If that makes sence.

mtbr member
    The top guys are usually geared, but overall as an average I would say the ss guys are faster.
    I think the guys who race SS just end up being a little more committed to riding their bike than the rest of the field, with the exception of the top geared riders.

SS isn't a disadvantage in the woods, but when the course alternates from woods to fire road, it can be a killer. I think any course that allows a geared guy to alternate between their big and middle ring is gonna make a ss less competitive
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

mtbr member
    Most of the time, I have checked, it seems like the SS class winner is about mid-pack for the Pro/Expert class. Outside of trying to THE fastest, each inidividual has a different goal they are trying to achieve in racing.

Members who have read this thread: 0