SS race field sizes- Mtbr.com
    CB2
    Jam Econo

SS race field sizes

I tend to be something of a numbers geek. I'll pour over results comparing times across ages and classes for endless hours. On long drives my mind often wanders to gear ratio calculations.
    Anyways...
    As I was reviewing the results from the Root 66 race series first race, Hop Brook Dam, I made note of the size of the SS fields; they're getting bigger.
    The median field size for Cat1 was 13 riders; Cat1 SS was 14.
    The median for Cat2 was 13.2; Cat2 SS was 10.
    This is awesome.
    Last year I rode against geared riders because the size of the SS field was often too small. If you didn't get to the singletrack or the first climb first you were hating life.
    This past weekend racing against all singlespeeders was bliss; the only time you'd get stuck behind someone sitting and spinning was when you caught a rider, and at that point they didn't really have any effect on the race.
    I hope the fields keep following this trajectory.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I was hating life on the climb racing my SS at Hopbrook without anyone in front of me

mtbr member
    The normal race series has not started yet here, so can't comment on that. But I am signed up for the SingleSpeed-a-Pallozza on April 25. Field limited to 250 singlespeeders and filled up a few weeks ago!

Mark

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    I was hating life on the climb racing my SS at Hopbrook without anyone in front of me
    Well bliss in an anaerobic sort of way.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny
    The normal race series has not started yet here, so can't comment on that. But I am signed up for the SingleSpeed-a-Pallozza on April 25. Field limited to 250 singlespeeders and filled up a few weeks ago!

Mark
    And the Pro/Expert field is up by 20% over last year.

Witty McWitterson
    WI has always had a nice sizable SS field. The Open class, which races the same distance as experts, had 18 in the Firecracker classic. The sports had a few more. I'm thinking that this year, there will be more.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

SS is the Open Class

We don't have CATs within SS here in NM. The SS class is the Open Race. We have CAT 3s, Pros, and all legal ages in our one SS class, which usually fires off between CAT 1 and CAT 2. Some may say it's unfair, but the soul of racing is that everybody lines up and goes at the same time, with the winner being the person who crosses the finish line first. In reality, here at least, I believe the racers on SS would take most podium positions if we raced CATs on SS. And maybe that's why they seperated us a few years ago.

Does SS need its own race? I don't think so. SS should be just a choice the rider made, like full suspension, front susp, or rigid, or 1-2 or 3 rings, etc. With the "CATless" and ageless SS race comes another possible advantage for many, there's no need for a USAC annual license, (unless of course, you are/were PRO/CAT1). Here, SS is simple, and the race officials and promoters don't have as much work sorting results. For the first time (ever, maybe) USAC has a definition of singlespeed in the 2010 rule book. Don't see many dingle speeds, but I have seen the 2 ring 2 cog combos.

Moo

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It has kinda imploded out west. Last year there were normally around 10-15 Cat 1 SSer in any given Kenda Cup race. On Sunday at Santa Ynez there were only 4! I defected to gears this year and am running with two former SSers in my age group alone. It seems a lot of people are just looking for a bit of change.

Sea Otter looks to be tough though, over 50 in Cat 2 and over 30 in Cat 1/Pro.

Members who have read this thread: 0