Thread: SS Race Bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

SS Race Bike

OK, looking for suggestions/advice.

Bought the SS Salsa El Mariachi last year on kind of a whim as I was a full-time roadie......now I ride is the SS 95% of the time.

Selling all my road bikes save one and want to buy a SS to race...will probably go with a Ti EM but would like to hear other suggestions frameset-wise.

One caveat is that I do not want a EBB as for me the relationship between crank and seat needs to stay constant.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzydog View Post
    OK, looking for suggestions/advice.

Bought the SS Salsa El Mariachi last year on kind of a whim as I was a full-time roadie......now I ride is the SS 95% of the time.

Selling all my road bikes save one and want to buy a SS to race...will probably go with a Ti EM but would like to hear other suggestions frameset-wise.

One caveat is that I do not want a EBB as for me the relationship between crank and seat needs to stay constant.
    You after a Ti frame? For a race frame would carbon fit the bill? The pivot Les looks good on paper...I am partial to shorter than 440 chainstay for SS. Other Ti frames would include Kona Rajin, Carver 420...my fav is custom if you want to tune the ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks..the Pivot is intriguing...will research. I am not wed to any material though...who do you like for custom Ti?

mtbr member
    What you don't like for racing in your steel el mariachi? I ride one built by myself and it's OK for racing. The rougher the terrain the better it performs. It's very comfortable and managable in technical conditions. Putting some light wheels on it makes it competitive. I would'nt worry about the weight of the frame. But the characteristics of the frame make more sense here. El mariachi is more a comfortable bike: it tracks well, rolls great, climbs well. But it's not a rocketship so the acceleration is not immediate and rapid as you would expect from a pure race bike. If you race smooth courses, then el mar may be an overkill. But if you race on technical terrain, and endurance events el mariachi can be ubeatable because of it's comfort (it doesn't beat you to bad), stability and balanced handling. All said above was about rigid steel el mariachi with salsa fork. Titanium version should be even better but it costs much more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Excellent point....

I have mine set up with King hubs and Stans Flow rims (big boy me)...nothing I don't like about it (heck I love it!) which is why I will probably go to a Ti one....after I sell a few CF road bikes I will have some $$ so buying another bike is a luxury not a need by any means.

I am going to enjoy the research, rationalizing etc to decide what to get...in my experience tires make the biggest difference on this bike...hence me posting to spend some time looking at bikes I may not have head of before etc....

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'd go with the Pivot LES hands down over anything made out of metal if your true goal is a light weight stiff SS race machine.

A more budget route would be the Trek Superfly SS, they can be had used at a reasonable price, and even new if you have a good relationship with a Trek Dealer.

The Pivot would be my first choice if I had the coin!

You will not save a ton of weight by going Ti, but you'll have a nice ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I've done a few races on my El mar, Its 2013 21" Singlespeed at 23lb's with rebas,

I really like it, I keep looking at a lighter frame, but considering i'm a fair inches taller (And rounder) than most other riders I don't see the point in changing.

It would be worth doing a race or two on it, If it works and you want to go lighter get the Ti, if you want diferenent geo then look at the Trek's or the Pivot.

A plethora of pinatas
    +1 on the Trek Superfly SS or Pivot LES for a race SS.

Others to consider, Niner Air9 Carbon or One9. But, they do have an EBB.
    Last edited by mcoplea; 07-31-2013 at 03:49 PM.
    Marty

Winning
    Jul 2013
    On One Carbon Lurcher 29er or Whippet 26" if you prefer smaller wheels.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzydog View Post
    Thanks..the Pivot is intriguing...will research. I am not wed to any material though...who do you like for custom Ti?
    I have 2 custom Ti bikes...one by Quiring and the other by Xacd. There are a lot of excellent makers, but Quiring ticks all the boxes for me. He has a racing background and can talk with you about what you want....prices are excellent for US Ti...great to deal with...reasonable lead time...uses proven paragon gear. The Xcad route is tricky and I wouldn't advise it unless you were a tech and geo geek (I'm guilty there). There are so many places to make mistakes, that even though I'd do it again, a maker like quiring will save you a lot of trouble. Xacd was about half the price though. Steel vs Ti...people have a point. Ti will be lighter , but probably around 300-400g. Depends on how the build is done. I just love Ti. No rust, scratches not a problem, lighter...but a custom steel frame would be pretty damn nice. Racing wise, I can't help to think carbon would give you what you want weight wise. Probably another 500g better than Ti, but you can't customise carbon if that is what you wanted. If you are going rigid, that would be one legit reason to go custom just as there aren't too many dedicated rigid frames out there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for all the thoughts....I am running fully rigid on the steel EM and have raced it a time or two...not really sure another bike would have netted a better place by any means.

I don't really want to admit it but I will go hardtail/suspension fork on the next bike rather than fully rigid and I am confident that will be faster....I see race bikes as tools and carbon is probably the best tool for that job...

mtbr member
    I'm thinking the Hard Eddie

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkrw3 View Post
    I keep forgetting about that frame. It's probably another very good option.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I hate the big S, but they do make a very nice carbon SS frame. Worth checking out. LES is cool, except for that hideous orange color scheme (and I love orange).

Haven't looked at Hard Eddie. The only thing that would concern me (maybe not a big deal) is the rear drops. Is that basically track ends? More of a hassle to change flats, IMO, especially during a race. Regular vertical drops from a EBB or sliding drops set up would be preferable.

I have a Niner One 9 that I love. EBB is my tensioner of choice, even though IF I change gearing, I do have to adjust my seat, but no big deal. As a roadie myself, I can appreciate the consistency of seat height to BB, but on a SS MTB, I find that it doesn't matter as much, as you're standing a lot (unless the course is super flat).

If I were to get serious about racing, my choice would be a Air 9 Carbon, no doubt.

mtbr member
    I just came across a thread that mentionned carbon cyclocross frames and on their website they have a carbon frame which seems to have adjustable drop-outs: BEV.INT'L CORP

Johnnydrz

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    I have and love my Vassago Optimus Ti. the owner is also a racer, he's ridden and owned over the years almost every bike and built the new Optimus Ti's with that knowledge. check it out, they are beautiful and well built bikes. vassagocycles - Home
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have a Lynskey Pro29sl SS that I have been racing this season. I absolutely love the bike! Sliding dropouts are by far my favorite setup for SS chain tensioning. The steering is sharp and I can ride for hours comfortably. Basically the two things that I was looking for in my SS race bike. There is a weight penalty vs carbon, but I'm 190lbs and don't notice a little bit of extra frame weight.

https://www.lynskeyperformance.com/s...o29-sl-ss.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    BAILEY | Race bikes designed by bike racers |

Use a White Industries Eccentric ENO hub in the back for your SS needs, and you have an ultra light weight, serious serious race machine.

Review: Bailey Bikes 29er | Mountain Bike Review

CB2
    Jam Econo

Total Sleeper

The Kona Big Unit is a great frame to build up kickass budget conscious racer (if you're budget conscious).

SS Race Bike-big_unit.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have a couple Niners and although you don't seem to want an EBB they have been brilliant. I've currently got an Air9 Carbon and a Sir9. Moving the EBB for gearing changes isn't that bad. I keep a few chains cut for my most commonly used gears, that allow me to set it up with very minimal movement of the EBB position. Most of the time it isn't enough to have to touch the saddle position, but sometimes I do have to move it up/down a couple mm if I need to run a weird gear.

As a former roadie, that has knee issues when my position isn't dialed in, I've found this to work well for me. Sometimes I wish I had swinging/sliding drops, but I haven't had this be an issue.

Just something to think about so you don't discount things out of hand.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkrw3 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blum585 View Post
    I keep forgetting about that frame. It's probably another very good option.
    I seriously considered Hard Eddie after demo'ing it (w/ geared set up, though) for a single speed race bike duty, only to find out the single speed drop outs are a complete afterthought. Non-adjustable caliper mount (as it's a part of the seatstay), and a very suspect looking tensioning screw set-up... That completely disqualified that frame for me. Seeing how Intense didn't bother answering my two emails with questions about the setup didn't help the cause, either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Recently purchased a Carver ti420 and love it. Seemed like the only frame out there with all the specs I wanted. Prefer the slacker HT and shorter chainstay 29ers. Built up to 23.6 lbs with not the lightest components.
    It is a fairly flexy frame though and I am only 155lbs + gear.

mtbr member

SS Race Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Arek View Post
    I seriously considered Hard Eddie after demo'ing it (w/ geared set up, though) for a single speed race bike duty, only to find out the single speed drop outs are a complete afterthought. Non-adjustable caliper mount (as it's a part of the seatstay), and a very suspect looking tensioning screw set-up... That completely disqualified that frame for me. Seeing how Intense didn't bother answering my two emails with questions about the setup didn't help the cause, either.
    Well I will be building one up this weekend so will report back on the SS setup first hand.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1017 View Post
    Recently purchased a Carver ti420 and love it. Seemed like the only frame out there with all the specs I wanted. Prefer the slacker HT and shorter chainstay 29ers. Built up to 23.6 lbs with not the lightest components.

seems spot on weight...mine was 10kg even with 1.2kg rigid fork. Not a carver but same Ti and config in large.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1017 View Post

Any idea what the neutral A-C length on that is while you are sitting on it?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TooSteep View Post
    Any idea what the neutral A-C length on that is while you are sitting on it?

Thanks.
    Its a Manitou Tower Pro 120mm. A-C length of 530mm with 48° offset. Unsure of my current sag.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    stumpy carbon, but I only race for first beer.....................