SS: Putting the fun back in cycling- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

SS: Putting the fun back in cycling

Hey guys,

I just finished converting my 2005 KHS Alite 300 to SS! I used a Forte conversion kit (http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,6...476-1,00.html). My gearing's 32:16 - just right for the riding I do. Other than that, I replaced my old levers which had the shifters built in. Unfortunately, I was on a budget and could only afford to get Suntours which they had lying around in the shop. They're heavy and long but still lighter than my old ones. Still, my bike's about 2 pounds lighter overall. That's cheap weight savings for under $40!

Anyway, enough about gear. The ride is awesome. Pedal, mash, coast. No more screwing around with the most efficient cadence, gear, speed in order to make the best time. It's just you and the ride. What you lose in complexity, you gain in enjoyment - just like how it used to be when we were kids.

There's this long climb that killed me on my geared bike, I honestly can't wait to try it out on my SS. I'm sure I'll get annihilated but I'm also sure I'll have a pretty big smile on my face when I get to the top.

Thanks for reading and best regards,

lorsban

mtbr member
    Congratulations.
    You're clearly in phase 1

Enjoy the ride
    Ride more!

(he thinks he can)
    May 2009
    those long hills become your worst enemy to best friend in a very short time span.. just did a couple today and its ridiculously rewarding!
    08 SS c'dale f4
    07 Prophet
    10 Yeti DJ
    Yeti Arc-x
    11 Yeti asr5-c
    ..and they place nice together!

V-Shaped Rut
    Yep, after you get your SS legs you'll find yourself leaving your geared buddies in the dust up those long hills. Plus standing keeps you from getting that low back ache from sitting and spinning in one position.

Ovaries on the Outside
    amen

My spoon is too big!
    Standing also cures saddle soreness.

I have 3 weeks on mine now, and love SS more with each ride. It's more addictive, and rewarding than I ever imagined.
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Old Fart

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by lorsban
    Hey guys,

I just finished converting my 2005 KHS Alite 300 to SS! I used a Forte conversion kit

Anyway, enough about gear. The ride is awesome. Pedal, mash, coast. No more screwing around with the most efficient cadence, gear, speed in order to make the best time. It's just you and the ride. What you lose in complexity, you gain in enjoyment - just like how it used to be when we were kids.

There's this long climb that killed me on my geared bike, I honestly can't wait to try it out on my SS. I'm sure I'll get annihilated but I'm also sure I'll have a pretty big smile on my face when I get to the top.
    Congratulations! Isn't it wonderful?

The goodness doesn't stop, either, after you get your initial legs for SS at about week 3 or 4. I tried a fairly steep and long uphill...one no doubt like you're contemplating...at 4 weeks and I failed at mile 2. That was about 4 months ago. I forgot about it and just hit all the other trails and tried to challenge myself whenever possible. Today I tried that hill climb again...made it to mile 14!

SS is so fun to ride, but it is also fun to hit new milestones, clean new sections, and breathe more easily on routine rides. Making progress while loving it...how does it get any better?
    Misfit DiSSent

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks guys! You all make me feel confident and scared at the same time! haha!

Anyway, there's this hill at the end of my rides, just before I get home, and I'm definitely going faster than on my geared bike. It's a great feeling to surge uphill like that. But, this is a short uphill. The other one's long, twisted and steep so it's hard to keep up your momentum, but we'll see.

Looking forward to the dread.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Just rode one of the trails which takes me 1hr 10mins usually on my geared bike and lo and behold, I clocked in at 1:15! It's mostly uphill with two downhills and a couple of straights. I thought it'd take me 1:30 or 1:45 because of the straights and downhills but then again, those hills made the difference! Pretty cool!

I guess the saying's right: It's not the fastest guy who wins, it's the one who slows down the least.

Members who have read this thread: 0