SS only races- Mtbr.com

Thread: SS only races

mtbr member

SS only races

Here in NY we have the Single-Speed-A-Palooza in the Hudson Valley at the end of April. I just got my first singlespeed and I can't wait for the race.

Are there any other SS only races?

Extra credit if they are within driving distance of New York.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Given the choice, a singlespeeder prefers to beat up on geared bikes.

smell the saddle...
    https://www.nomambo.net/SpillwayRaceDead.jpg

We hosted our first SS race last year here in New Orleans. This year we'll be back for another Halloween race with a new spin... at night!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    would like to reg for the palooza next week never raced or rode there before just wondering what type of course it is and if my 36-18 gearing would work there w/my surly 1x1 been riding ss for about 2yrs on LI and using this gearing for about 1yr, thanks

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by fat guy
    I don't know about that, but I would often finish on the podium in my CAT1 age group, whereas I finished 20th in the Expert/Pro class at Singlespeed-a-polooza. Problem is SS'ers know all the same tricks as me, and are playing to the same strengths.

Sweep the leg!
    SS Category in a lot of places. WORS, Iceman, Ore to Shore, MnSCS and closer to you the NYS MTB Series.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    It would be interesting to have a SS race where the bikes are equal in gearing - sure, it can be SS, but there might be advantages and disadvantages with riders who opt for taller gears than others.

How about a race where the front ring is only 34, rear 17... 26" wheels
    Or one that's just 29er - nah, that would just create madness as a cluster F.

SS only races are fun.

SS racers in gearie racers are even funner!

mtbr member
    I don't know of any other singlespeed only races in the area, sorry. But, the local H2H race series, has singlespeed classes. Here is the link: http://www.wmba.org/H2HRace.html

I raced the SingleSpeed-a-Palooza last year and it was a blast. I already registered for this years race, as it seems to be filling up fast. I have to get the training moving, as the race is longer and earlier this year.

Mark

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny
    I don't know of any other singlespeed only races in the area, sorry. But, the local H2H race series, has singlespeed classes. Here is the link: http://www.wmba.org/H2HRace.html

I raced the SingleSpeed-a-Palooza last year and it was a blast. I already registered for this years race, as it seems to be filling up fast. I have to get the training moving, as the race is longer and earlier this year.

Mark
    Cool - I hope to get into the Chequamegon 40 this fall. I sent in my application a few weeks ago...
    That would be like a SS race all in itself. I've done it 3 times prior, only in the SS class. I expect to finish in a little over three hours.

Only dead people are old
    Quote Originally Posted by fat guy
    1+ Yep it's a lot of fun racing the geared guys, really fun when the course twisty or hilly.

Members who have read this thread: 0