Ss or not to ss- Mtbr.com

Thread: Ss or not to ss

mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Ss or not to ss

Hey all! This is my first ever post on the forums here. Just wanting to get some input. I'm currently riding a sette ace running a 1x9 setup. I find myself hardly ever using and gear lower than 5 (I prefer to just mash the uphills.) I was wondering if I should give ss a go. I have read pros and cons and I consider myself to be reasonably fit. I mainly ride trails and nothing to extreme yet. Thanks in advance for the input!

SS Pusher Man
    It's simple....shift into the gear you think you will use.....ride/climb/spin/mash/walk with that gear....do not shift. If you think you may shift by accident, set the H/L so the derailluer won't shift.

If you like it, then go for it.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

MaxTheCyclist.com
    If you're not sure whether or not you'll like it, and it appeals to you, chances are you'll like it. I just ripped the band-aid off after lurking here for a few months, and I shouldn't have waffled for so long before committing. It's what I want to be doing.

mtbr member
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I was hesitant at first but for the past six months all I have rode is my single speed was rough starting out . But now I feel like I am in better shape and riding faster than I ever have, climbs are a lot quicker. Plus I enjoy just getting on a pedaling and not thinking about which gear should I be in.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    These threads amuse me. "I'm going to ask a bunch of SS wackos if they think I should SS as well." Like there would ever be the answer "no, you shouldn't. SS is for alien beer drinkers with the quads of a power lifter."

Come join the dark side. The beer will make you forget about your puny quads. Sorry, can't help with the alien thing.

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by solo-x View Post
    These threads amuse me. "I'm going to ask a bunch of SS wackos if they think I should SS as well." Like there would ever be the answer "no, you shouldn't. SS is for alien beer drinkers with the quads of a power lifter."

Come join the dark side. The beer will make you forget about your puny quads. Sorry, can't help with the alien thing.
    I needed a push, lots of people need a push! it's kind of a confirmation that SS is not just for the powerlifters. If a bunch of people shout "HELLYEAH," it's a helluva lot easier to commit!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mdilthey View Post
    I needed a push, lots of people need a push! it's kind of a confirmation that SS is not just for the powerlifters. If a bunch of people shout "HELLYEAH," it's a helluva lot easier to commit!
    If anything it's a great excuse to get another bike, n + 1 and all...

mtbr member
    I'm no power lifter at 5'10" and 140# with a gel in my back pocket. I always told those around me who said "I'm just not ready yet fitness wise" that no one is ready to SS, you just do it. If you don't like it you can always go back. Very few have.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Yes you should, you will not regret it. I rode 3x9, then 1x9, now 1x1. You will build muscle.

That said, truthfully, it really depends on your local riding terrain. If there are lots of steep hills or long stretches of flat, you might want gears so you can find a shorter gear for a steep climb or taller gear for going faster on the flats.

I ride both. The gearie gets used for long rides, when I'm trying to conserve energy for a 4+ hour ride, and those rides that I know I'll be riding asphalt or gravel, in which case the SS I get spun out.

Cif
    mtbr member
    I bought a kona unit about 3,5 years ago because I loved the looks of the bike. Initial thoughts was to rebuild it to 1x10...

All I can say is.... 5000km since and bike has still 1 gear....

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jts201009 View Post
    Hey all! This is my first ever post on the forums here. Just wanting to get some input. I'm currently riding a sette ace running a 1x9 setup. I find myself hardly ever using and gear lower than 5 (I prefer to just mash the uphills.) I was wondering if I should give ss a go. I have read pros and cons and I consider myself to be reasonably fit. I mainly ride trails and nothing to extreme yet. Thanks in advance for the input!
    If you are not using many gears right now, maybe try putting a road cassette on the bike and see if you like it.
    I have usually rode SS on a Mountain bike and still have a 26" SS Wuss, but got a geared 2008 Kona Kula Deluxe about 2 years ago, currently it is running a 32/42 double and a 11-26 9speed in back, don't use the big ring much so will soon go single ring 32t, and getting a rigid fork as well, will keep the 9 in the back though for much of my ridding I'm in the 3 easiest gears, 21-23-26. When I got the bike with a triple and a 11-32 I found I was never using the 28-32 anyway, and I have liked having the closer gaps in the rear gears. The Kona has slider dropouts, so would be easy enough for me to choose a gear and go SS if I want. SS works and gears work, having gears you will use is often what is important, I think a mini 5 speed cluster on a SS cassette with about a 17-26 range would work really well.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mdilthey View Post
    MD is correct. I got the itch myself shortly after getting into the sport. I walked into a LBS and met the lead mechanic who was a major SS rider. He talked to me about it. I gave it a go and never looked back. I needed someone to reassure me as well. Its a big commitment especially if you are modifying a bike you recently bought (as I did). You will get stronger with experience. Pay attention to how much drag is missing once you ditch that derailleur and even more when you get a SS frame and ditch the tensioner. It will pedal so smooth and quiet you will look back to see if your chain is still attached lol! Go for it!

I became friends with that mechanic and he rides 29ers with gears like 32x18 in Missouri. I literally have seen him climb shit that would blow a geared riders rear freehub. It would blow your mind! Ok he is a young college kid but still it goes to show you what practice and miles can gain you.

mtbr member
    What is a SS Frame ? and who makes them. (I assume its a frame that allows for rear wheel adjustment buy I'd never heard of it).

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Basically a frame with horizontal dropouts which will allow you to adjust your chain tension.

mtbr member
    Ok thanks much

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Just go for it! After riding geared road and MTBs for a while I bought a Kona Unit just to have something different in my quiver to ride "once in a while". Well, the geared bikes are all gone now and I've got two single-speeds--the Unit and a Surly Cross Check. I have no interest in riding a geared bike any more! Not only is ss more fun, I've gained so much more strength and endurance in a shorter amount of time riding ss than I ever did on the geared bikes. Oh, and ss bikes just LOOK damn cool too

mtbr member
    I'm with Jbass. Once I went with the Karate Monkey SS, my cross bike has been an afterthought. I split time with the KM and Farley on the trail though.
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jbass View Post
    Just go for it! After riding geared road and MTBs for a while I bought a Kona Unit just to have something different in my quiver to ride "once in a while". Well, the geared bikes are all gone now and I've got two single-speeds--the Unit and a Surly Cross Check. I have no interest in riding a geared bike any more! Not only is ss more fun, I've gained so much more strength and endurance in a shorter amount of time riding ss than I ever did on the geared bikes. Oh, and ss bikes just LOOK damn cool too
    +1. I still have my geared bike but my SS is my favorite by far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Been riding SS for about 9 months now and I love it, however, with summer here we move to a different forest which has steeper climbs and I needed to run a lower gear which is well and good and when riding with my mates I was still enjoying SS (most of them run gears in this forest). Yesterday I threw off the shackles of riding with my mates and went out for a fast run, I actually couldn't ride any faster than I was riding with my mates, I needed bigger gears for some of the fast flat sections (I was hopelessly spun out) and for even a lot of the single track, I wasn't even pushing the limits of traction and handling, however for the climbs home I needed the gear I was in. I'm going to go back to gears for awhile while summer is here but will switch back to SS for winter riding in a different forest (not so steep with a bigger gear).

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    As a cross-country racer, I'm all about single-speeding exclusively in the winter off-season. It helps develop power on climbs, more efficient with fewer moving parts in inclement trail conditions and, yes, fun as hell.

No better feeling than keeping up with geared riding friends during 3,500-foot rides in the mountains.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ss or not to ss-zmkngi6ydgtwa7l6gdhyq-9rxi-x9ozspvdlvoicbss-2048x1536.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Dangeroo... you might be surprised how hard of a gear you can push uphill if you are forced to do so. Maybe give it a shot once before you swap back to gears.

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangeroo0 View Post
    Been riding SS for about 9 months now and I love it, however, with summer here we move to a different forest which has steeper climbs and I needed to run a lower gear which is well and good and when riding with my mates I was still enjoying SS (most of them run gears in this forest). Yesterday I threw off the shackles of riding with my mates and went out for a fast run, I actually couldn't ride any faster than I was riding with my mates, I needed bigger gears for some of the fast flat sections (I was hopelessly spun out) and for even a lot of the single track, I wasn't even pushing the limits of traction and handling, however for the climbs home I needed the gear I was in. I'm going to go back to gears for awhile while summer is here but will switch back to SS for winter riding in a different forest (not so steep with a bigger gear).
    SS'ing is all about compromise. Do you wanna be able to climb, or do you wanna be able to go fast on the flats?

Personally I like being able to climb, and I do alot of it...so for me it's a no brainer, I'll spin out on the flats so that i can continue to climb.

I run 33x22 on my Highball....may change that to 34x22. Some people make fun of me for running an easier gear. I could run 32x19/20 for 1-2 hours rides. However I gear my SS for long rides, so I need that 11 or 12t difference at hour 7-10.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Yeah I like climbing and its already a full body workout climbing some of the climbs in this forest, however I'm prepared to give it another shot with my taller gearing and also chucked on my rigid fork, so we will see how it goes before chucking the gears back on (cause I really don't want too).

Members who have read this thread: 0