SS newbie- Mtbr.com

Thread: SS newbie

more beers, lees gears.

SS newbie

Sorry I am sure this has been posted 100 times. Any links would be appreciated.

Im a newbie, just bought (my wife actually bought for me) my first SS.

its a redline monocog maybe 2004 (red, no stickers, v brakes only, H dropouts). it seems well taken care of.

The cranks seem to have a double set of teeth. is it so I can change gearing as needed?

What are some tips to get started, I used to ride geared, a lot, probably 30 miles a week on the trails. I know some basics like standing straight up and just cranking up the hills, and such.

Any tools I need to specifically carry? It has a no name deal like a surly tugnut. Is chain drop pretty normal?

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    Just ride it! It is not very different than geared riding, only no shifting, which proven to have been unnecessary all along, at least where I ride... (SF Bay Area)

There is not a single spot on the trails that I could ride on my geary but I can't on my SS. Whatever I could ride is ridable on the SS, but faster! Whatever I couldn't ride is still nonridable on the SS. (I have 32:17 gearing on 26" wheels.)

A tip that I can think of is (which you will discover yourself quicly anyway), on a steep slow climb, I learned to add my arms into the action by throwing the bike forward with my arms in order to help move the pedals through the dead spots. I am talking about speeds of 2-3 seconds per pedal stroke or slower.

I've always enjoyed being a very skinny person all my life. Now I have real muscles on my legs and arms! Yay!

Ali

more beers, lees gears.
    yeah, most the trails in AZ are seem pretty ridable for an SS. I only ever used 2 or 3 gears max.

more beers, lees gears.
    So what about SS mainanence?

Does the chain wear faster? Is there a difference between SS chains and normal chains?

wot no bike?
    pete

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B

Good job!

welcome to the wonderful world of ss's!!! i too have an '04-ish monocog.bought mine used off a forum elsewhere,and it's probly my favorite bike-at least the most ridden.
    i currently run 32x18 with a bash gaurd,but most of my favorite trails are a little hilly (specially right now,been off the bike for several weeks due to injuries not bike related,and outta shape)for that ratio,i've been toying w/ the idea of 32x21,since i'm puttin together a diffrent (geared ,but still a mtn frame,and only 1x7 speeds),i won't be riding it much on the road anyways.hmmmm,maybe when i scounge up the scratch i should build a ss cross bike ...

more beers, lees gears.
    i currently have it set up as 32x16. seems pretty good so far, but I have only had it around the neighborhood.

I did read the SS faq's, but I didnt see anything about chains or wear and tear.
    Is a SS chain different? Will it wear faster riding SS vs Gears?

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by mattKHS
    i currently have it set up as 32x16. seems pretty good so far, but I have only had it around the neighborhood.

I did read the SS faq's, but I didnt see anything about chains or wear and tear.
    it shouldn't...unless you ride yer ss more than you normally would yer geared bike in the 1st place

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pisket
    Whatever I could ride is ridable on the SS
    Ok, I lied!

I went to Wilder Ranch in Santa Cruz on Saturday and mildly sadly realized that I could NOT ride a couple of technical uphill sections on my SS. I was able to clear those spots on my gearie last year.

Besides the need for more power, another issue was low cadence. The pedals would be at the wrong angle way too often... for me at least... :/

I impressed a group of gearies by climbing the sunny uphill section of Enchanted Loop though. (If you know the place, the part right before the 4-way junction...)

Ali

time to climb

Chain will wear faster

Quote Originally Posted by mattKHS

As you continue to get stronger, (because that's going to happen ) you'll just stand and mash up the climbs. This causes chain to wear faster. About twice as fast. You'll want to check the chain ring also if it's aluminum. My chains last about 4 mos. on my GF Rig, and original alum 32T chainring lasted almost exactly 1 yr, but it was toast. Go to stainless front and rear to avoid problems.

more beers, lees gears.
    is TI any stronger / longer lasting than steel? or is it just the bling / weight factor. because trust me, this bike is pretty ugly, no need for lipstick on a pig with ti parts if they are not much better.

Members who have read this thread: 0