mtbr member

SS Newb Wheel Question

After upgrading an older bike to SS and finding that I really dig it, I decided to upgrade the wheels. I put in an order for a handbuilt set with Stan's Flow rims and Surly hubs, hoping to save some coin (relative to DT Swiss and the like). I didn't realize before I put in the order, but the hubs require a screw-on freewheel (right?). And from looking around, a good freewheel is like $100. And you're stuck with whatever tooth cog you select with that freewheel (right?).

So I guess my question is, do I stick with what I've got and spend some coin on a freewheel, or am I better off swapping the hub out for one set up for splined cogs? Don't freewheels generally have maintenance issues? How do I install the freewheel - do I need a lock ring?

One appeal of the Surly is that it's quiet - I'm not a big fan of loud hubs (King, Hope, etc.).

Sorry for the stupid questions, thanks for your help.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    1. Singlespeed-specific wheels (with the freewheel) are supposedly a lot stronger than normal cassette-type wheels, because they have less dish. Plenty of DH wheels are dished for a cassette and work fine, though, so I'm not sure why that argument's brought up.

2. Freewheel hubs are, well, singlespeed-specific. Bling factor?

3. Cassette hubs (splined) allow for easier tuning of chainline.

4. Freewheels can be bought as "trials-specific," so that there's less crank rotation before the hubs engage again. This is supposedly done to be more efficient/easier when "ratcheting" in technical sections. You don't have to move the crank forward as much to re-engage the hub.

5. I run a cassette hub, because I converted to singlespeed the cheap way. I like it just fine. Freewheel vs. cassette is more personal preference than anything else, methinks.

6. Well, I needed a number six. Didn't want to stop at an even five.

Oh yea, and you don't need a lockring for a freewheel. It coasts, so it's never trying to spin against the threads to loosen itself. You'll need a freewheel remover to remove it, but no tools are needed for installation. The action of pedaling tightens the freewheel on the threads. Make sure you get the correct freewheel remover for your freewheel -- four notches, or two, or whatever.
    Last edited by Bro; 08-03-2011 at 06:49 PM. Reason: up is down and down is left and i got my directions confused
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    If you get a White Industries freewheel you won't have any maintenance issues. I have the same combo on 2 of my bikes, Surly hub White Industries freewheel.

native.
    Mar 2010
    +1 on the WI stuff! WI also makes a DOS freewheel if you're concerned about gear ratios.

mtbr member
    This is a little off subject, but does anyone make a light weight wheelset with an eccentric rear hub?

mtbr member
    Thanks for your inputs, guys. Appreciate the quick education. I think I'll stick with what I've got and go for a White Industries freewheel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyR View Post
    This is a little off subject, but does anyone make a light weight wheelset with an eccentric rear hub?
    White Industries has an eccentric rear hub (Eric's Eccentric ENO).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BmoreKen View Post
    White Industries has an eccentric rear hub (Eric's Eccentric ENO).
    Yeah, I've seen that. I guess down the road I'll buy the hub and have a wheel built. For now I'm going to run a Yess BB tensioner and a cassette conversion kit.

The need for singlespeed
    This thread has run its course with one exception--the sound:
    Quote Originally Posted by BmoreKen View Post
    One appeal of the Surly is that it's quiet - I'm not a big fan of loud hubs (King, Hope, etc.).
    All freewheel hubs are silent. Be prepared for nonsilence with that WI freewheel. They are without question the best freewheels on the market, but they're not known to be quiet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    White Industries makes the Dos Freewheel. If you wanted to not limit yourself with gearing you can get two fairly different gear ratios. They come in several compliments. I've run them on my own bikes and I've never had any problem with chain line etc, very nice piece of equipment.
    I work at Kona

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaskaranddriver View Post
    This thread has run its course with one exception--the sound:
    Ha! So right. From what I've heard, Shimano suck and the ACS crossfire isn't the most dependable for wet winter riding here on the east coast. Are there other contenders? Otherwise, WI it is, and I'll just have to live with the noise. As long as it's not like a King or Hope or I9 I can deal.

Yeet so hard
    Well I suppose I must hi-jack this one.
    I need hub recommendations. Not freewheel hubs, and preferably ones that can be converted to gears down the line (i know its blasphemy). I am low budget (college kid) and need them to hold up for a long time. Any opinions?
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF
    Smash

The need for singlespeed
    BmoreKen, I think you'll be fine with the WI, but in case not, I read that a liberal application of a light oil on the pawls can quiet them down a bit, FYI.

The need for singlespeed
    Quote Originally Posted by tims5377 View Post
    Any opinions?
    xt