SS newb here w/ a convesion question.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

SS newb here w/ a convesion question.

Hi all!

I just spent the last few hours reading over much of the info linked to, and would really like to convert my bike. I have been wanting a more bulletproof solution to derailleurs, and this looks to be it!

My bike is a Jeep branded bike with Shimano Altus components. It has nearly horizontal dropouts, which looks to be a good thing. I realize that the components are not the best, but I am more of a weekend warrior than anything. Is there an inexpensive way to get rid of all the extra chainrings in the system, esp. on the crankset? Should I just get rid of the derailleurs and shorten the chain and call it good?

Thanks for any help!

If possible I would like to be able to use some spacers or similiar to make this work to see how well I like it. Also, any comments on the pros and cons of this style of bike would be very helpful. I would eventually like to do some trail riding with it, but it would not be anything extreme.

Last edited by Any Cal.; 05-01-2010 at 11:37 PM.

one chain loop
    leave the toys r us bike alone and invest on a new one. not worth converting.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
    As much as I like to breathe new life into old bikes I have to agree with fishcreek. You'll be better off (and probably happier) with something newer. Check craigslist for a nice used MTB in your area.
    Robb
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    Canondale Synapse w/DuraAce goodness

mtbr member
    May 2010
    No doubt something new would be nicer...but I spent my funds on other interests. I may just see how far I get messing around with this one, so I can know which way I need to go on my new one.

We'll see if the 'Bubba' in me can do a no-buck conversion.

Members who have read this thread: 0