SS MTB and Fixie on the road- Mtbr.com
    Suffering Mightily

SS MTB and Fixie on the road

I've been riding SS since '96, but recently sold the road bike and now ride a fixie exclusively on the road. I feel like a kid again. When I rode my first SS, I knew I was hooked. It took a while, but I eventually quit riding my geared bikes altogether, and then sold them to only ride singlespeeds. No regrets. I think the same thing has happened with the fixie. Occasionally, on the road, I want gears, but never on the trails. I was reading the thread about rigid forks and I recalled yesterday's ride. A long singletrack descent with rocks and roots on the KM rigid fork. One of the best rides I've ever been on. Long live SS and Fixies!
    Without freedom of choice, there is no creativity. Without creativity, there is no life. The body dies.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    like peas and carrots

Teen Wolf
    hell yeah man. unless i'm headed out for a long ride in the country i'll be on my fixie. it is just plain old fun!

mtbr member

SS/Fixed

I got the same setup. I was thinking just the other day how I will never have a der . on a bike again. How nice it is just to get on and ride. A fixed gear RB is 100% silent. I've
    got flat bars with Oury's on my RB, the drop bars kill my hands. Sometime I forget that I can coast, sometimes I forget I can't.
    Have Fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I rode fixed 30 years ago, in flat ol' Florida. I see lotsa folks riding fixies around here, in Santa Fe, usually with the tall track gearing. For the life of me, I don't know how their knees take it...must be better than my knees (most people's are). Maybe I'll try one again one day soon, with more sane gearing, like 42/18.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggity
    I rode fixed 30 years ago, in flat ol' Florida. I see lotsa folks riding fixies around here, in Santa Fe, usually with the tall track gearing. For the life of me, I don't know how their knees take it...must be better than my knees (most people's are). Maybe I'll try one again one day soon, with more sane gearing, like 42/18.
    Around Fort Collins, CO, you can see the same thing. Tall track oriented gearing, but what's real scary is the lack of brakes, and toe straps, just generic flat pedals. I tried learning to ride fixed that way...plain foolish in retrospect. Hopefully later this week I will try my hand at fixie mountain biking, I'm excited.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    Fixie on the road is brilliant... yet to try it offroad but SS is working fine so far...

mtbr member

Ft Collins

Quote Originally Posted by DanD
    Around Fort Collins, CO, you can see the same thing. Tall track oriented gearing, but what's real scary is the lack of brakes, and toe straps, just generic flat pedals. I tried learning to ride fixed that way...plain foolish in retrospect. Hopefully later this week I will try my hand at fixie mountain biking, I'm excited.
    My nephew just moved there a couple months ago and im driving out(from Pisgah) to spend a week with him in mid June. Ill be bringing one of our side car bikes for bar hopping and will be bringing one of my fixies, probably the Itzawut.
    Im looking forward to fixin' up the trails out there....all i ride in the woods are Mtn Fixies with a front brake....that is until about September when we roll out the geared 29/36er

trail rat
    Too much fun. What the hell were you thinking?
    Fixed riding, road or dirt, should be illegal.

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

Members who have read this thread: 0