SS in Moab?- Mtbr.com

Thread: SS in Moab?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

SS in Moab?

Howdy folks,
    I'm going to Moab next week and all I've got with me (at college) is my SS. I have the option to rent, though it would be pretty expensive. How many of you have done Moab with your SSers? Was it tough? Part of the question is that I'm going with other riders, who (I'm assuming) all have gears. I know the SS tempo/rhythm is different from geared rides, so do you think this will be a serious problem? I'm thinking not, but I would like some opinions to calm my nerves a bit (I know, I know, having "nerves" is not the hardcore SSer thing to do). Oh and for useful information, I think I'm gonna be riding White Rim Road, and the Slickrock trail. Also, I'm running it 32-16, should I throw an 18 on the back for this trip, just for safety?
    Your wisdom and insight will be much appreciated.

dirty hippy mountainbiker
    I have only ridden slickrock and porcupine rim. (on gears)

But I think you could do either on SS. The rim is only a couple miles of climbing then a lot of coasting.

Slickrock is a million short insanely steep hills. Maybe if you run 32:20 or 32:22 you'd only suffer 30% more than your buds.

Either way take pics and post a report.

-M
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    SS is very tough for Moab. Works pretty well for the Slickrock Trail. Makes the very going hard on the loose dirt/gravely/rocky roads and most of the climbs are fairly steep.

I could ride the loose. I could ride the steep. Was walking much of the loose and steep.

I was running 34x21 and should have gone lower.

Fruita, on the other hand, was fabulous on the SS.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

take the single

All of my trips in Moab for the past few years have been on singles. Take an 18 or 20 tooth cog/freewheel for Slickrock. My first SS on slickrock was 36:18 on my Bianchi BuSS (light w/ 2.0 nanos). I did fine....but I was able to ride almost the whole trail when I went to a 32:20 (even on my heavy Spicer w/ 2.5's).

My post is that way --->
    Jan 2004
    Porcupine Rim is a fantastic SS climb. But then you're not doing it.

Wouldn't personally have the guts to do Slickrock without having an emergency bail-out gear. Some long hard falls if you don't make it up some of the ups - ups which with the right gear are easier to ride up than walk up.
    Wibble

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRagged
    Howdy folks,
    I'm going to Moab next week and all I've got with me (at college) is my SS. I have the option to rent, though it would be pretty expensive. How many of you have done Moab with your SSers? Was it tough? Part of the question is that I'm going with other riders, who (I'm assuming) all have gears. I know the SS tempo/rhythm is different from geared rides, so do you think this will be a serious problem? I'm thinking not, but I would like some opinions to calm my nerves a bit (I know, I know, having "nerves" is not the hardcore SSer thing to do). Oh and for useful information, I think I'm gonna be riding White Rim Road, and the Slickrock trail. Also, I'm running it 32-16, should I throw an 18 on the back for this trip, just for safety?
    Your wisdom and insight will be much appreciated.
    Are those the only two trails you guys will be riding? That'd be a shame. White Rim is just a bigass dirt road (with nice views). I bet you'd have fun with a 32/22 for Slickrock. It's not a speed trail; just all up/down/up/down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Yeah, I've hit slickrock before. I'm thinking I'll probably get an 18 on the back (not any easier, cause I'm a BA... That's Badass... I shortened it). Now that I think of it, I might have done White Rim, too. Can't really remember. Oh well.
    Thanks for the help guys. I think I'm stickin with the SS. I'll let you know how it goes.

Nat
    mtbr member

mtbr member

What college?

This sounds to me like the CC Moab trip. If so, you (a) most likely won't be riding slickrock (never happened in the 4 years I was there--everyone's too tired to bother on the last day with the huge drive home), and (2) there will likely be some non-cyclists on the trip, making SS more appealing (i.e. you're not gonna lag behind). IIRC, there are some really steep climbs that might be unridable without gear (and/or gigantor legs), but given my assumptions, I'd say go for it. Plenty of other people'll be walking. And like other people said, it's not that challenging most of the time so the single might make it more interesting. Great views and a really good time from the vibe every time I did it. From my perspecitive good people + mediocre trail > lame people + good trail, anyway. Not that riding other trails would guarantee a less cool crowd, just speaking from one personal experience with a friend who didn't do the White Rim trip.

Did I get it right with the CC thing?

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldybikes
    good people + mediocre trail > lame people + good trail
    How true.

mtbr member
    I just got back from Utah where I raced the 24 hours of Moab and spent the week before riding some of the old classics including Porcupine, Slickrock, and Gold Bar Rim. Was on my 34x20 geared Hooligan the whole time and it was great. I'd say go for the easier combo on your SS and expect to have a terrific time.

Cruzmissle

American Made!
    Also just back from the 24 Hours of Moab. I used a 32x18 at slickrock, worked fine except on a few of the really steep pitches, a 20t might be the magic gear. Remember to make your own path up some of the climbs. By doing a little traversing, following the gearies straight up is brutal, I was able to conquer all but one section up..just be ready to sweat!
    Good luck!

Members who have read this thread: 0