SS to from MB to FAT...is it possible?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

SS to from MB to FAT...is it possible?

I am still mentally dealing/obsessing over getting a SS. I had an idea but wondering if it's an option since I am so not a guru when it comes to bike. So lets use the Crave SL29 as an example for it's one of most appealing to me visually.

Is it possible, to change wheels from a standard MB wheel to a Fat tire and vice versa?

Just an idea I have that could justify me doing this.

LASTLY...Assuming it's not possible on the Crave, but is possible on others can you please list them?

mtbr member
    You can put skinny wheels on a fat bike*, but not vice versa--there's not enough frame and fork clearance for the big tires.

*this is generally pretty expensive
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Do what I did. Go fat and SS at the same time.

Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Yeah, I'll second the fat SS route. So far I've only the got the wheels but its coming.

29+ SS would be cool too. After 3 years on nothing but 29er SS I decided I like SS but not skinny tires.

Also forget about the visuals and ride a few bikes to see how the feel.

mtbr member
    SS on fat is great fun.

But you'll find it a bit limiting when you want to ride on surfaces like soft deep snow or bog which are really really hard work - a few hundred metres and you're blown.

My fat bike has a dinglespeed for that reason.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    I went from a SS Specialized Fatboy to a SS Trek Stache 29+... fat tires and SS go together like lamb and tuna fish.

mtbr member
    I have. It's what people call a 3-some. First one. ;-)

Why am I telling you this? Hell, I am telling everyone about this. :-D

Quote Originally Posted by mdilthey View Post
    Do what I did. Go fat and SS at the same time.

mtbr member
    So the reverse is possible. This leads me to a few questions:
    1. One poster says it can get pretty expensive. Well I learned what one person considers as expensive to me is no big deal. So can you emphasize (don't have to give me an exact number) of what you would think this would cost, hence what you think is expensive?
    2. So the reverse is possible. BUT...would it have the same feel as a bike built to be a SS 29'r naturally after slapping on the wheels? Not sure if this truly can be answered but couldn't hurt to ask.

mtbr member
    You can always put a fat tire on the front by swapping out the front wheel and fork, it's the rear that you run into an issue. Obviously a 4" tire isn't going to fit in a standard frame. For putting a regular wheel set in a fat bike, you just need to make sure the wheels have the same hub spacing as your frame. Generally you have to build a set because regular 29er wheels don't come in 170/177/190 hubs spacing... I can't give you a cost estimate because you could build your wheels as cheap or expensive as you want. If you went with I9 or Onyx hubs with some decent rims you're looking probably around $1,000 for wheels... If you go modest with your parts and build them yourself, obviously you will save a bit.

If I were you and didn't care about money, I would build a fat bike and a second set of 29+ wheels.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by DualRollers View Post
    If I were you and didn't care about money, I would build a fat bike and a second set of 29+ wheels.
    /\ This!

Fat SS is FUN!
    SS to from MB to FAT...is it possible?-img_2286.jpg
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    For the cost of a 2nd wheelset, you could probably find a used Crave or other similar singlespeed. I'd rather have 2 bikes than 1 bike with 2 sets of wheels.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    For the cost of a 2nd wheelset, you could probably find a used Crave or other similar singlespeed. I'd rather have 2 bikes than 1 bike with 2 sets of wheels.
    This is true also.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    Finding a used Crave isn't as much as an issue as finding a used Crave with my frame size: L to XL. I prefer XL.

Downcountry AF
    fyi, Pinkbike is littered with XL SS's right now.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    fyi, Pinkbike is littered with XL SS's right now.
    Never heard of it. Thanks.

Poking around the website and found this:

How To Release Chronically Tight Hamstrings - Monthly Yoga With Abi - Pinkbike

ME LIKEY!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by uncaged View Post
    Never heard of it. Thanks.

Poking around the website and found this:

How To Release Chronically Tight Hamstrings - Monthly Yoga With Abi - Pinkbike

ME LIKEY!!!
    Those videos were simply amazing. I never liked yoga so much.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    i don't own a fat but i have ridden SS Extensively. someone posted this fare warning above and that is SS can get very challenging in difficult trail conditions and that challenge may be significantly amplified on a fat bike in tough conditions, at least for mere mortals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    /\ This!

Fat SS is FUN!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2286.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	385.9 KB 
ID:	1077980
    ^^^ I agree! Fat and Single going on 4 years. Gravel roads, paved path, trails, snow, whatever it wants.
    SS to from MB to FAT...is it possible?-img_6968.jpg

mtbr member
    My fiance and I really wanted fat bikes but was talked out of it for we were informed by more than one party that they are not as fast, and easy to ride than a standard mountain bike or hybrid.

Since we not riding sand nor snow it didn't make sense to get them...for now. We are still keeping an open mind as another bike in our collection, but from what we been told it won't be our primary bikes.

But when we are on a trail and someone rides past us with one (usually going the opposite direction) we get jealous.

WNC Native
    All comes down to personal preference. Some people prefer their other bikes as the primary and some have sold all their other bikes to have a sweet fat bike as their primary.

Mine might see snow 1-2 times a year and I'm 4-5 hours away from sand, yet is my one and only bike.

Fat bikes can make great trail bikes. Having the right frame geometry and right wheels/tires is very important. Tubeless is a huge difference on these too.

FWIW I'm considerably faster DH on this than I was on my 2souls SS 29er and my Kona Honzo SS 29er (both had 140mm forks). I've also matched most of my climbing times and/or have set PRs with it too.

MaxTheCyclist.com
    My fiance and I really wanted fat bikes but was talked out of it for we were informed by more than one party that they are not as fast, and easy to ride than a standard mountain bike or hybrid.

Since we not riding sand nor snow it didn't make sense to get them...for now. We are still keeping an open mind as another bike in our collection, but from what we been told it won't be our primary bikes.

But when we are on a trail and someone rides past us with one (usually going the opposite direction) we get jealous.
    Many people form opinions about fatbikes without giving them a fair try, or without using a decent one. You owe it to yourselves to try one out, if you can. I think you'll be surprised how nimble and light they actually are. Remember, fat tires are still filled with air.

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    I'm considerably faster DH on this than I was on my 2souls SS 29er and my Kona Honzo SS 29er (both had 140mm forks).
    Considerably faster downhill on a rigid fatty than a Honzo 29er w/140mm fork? You have a different riding style than I do.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    Considerably faster downhill on a rigid fatty than a Honzo 29er w/140mm fork? You have a different riding style than I do.
    I might have been marginally quicker through really rough short sections on the Honzo, but I've smashed every overall trail segment PR on the Puffin.

Always in the wrong gear
    I really like my bike, but if cash weren't a factor, I'd go plus wheels all the way. Either a Stache or, Vassago now makes a Verhauen 29+ that clears a 3.0 tire.

That's about 7 flavors of win in my book.

Full fat is too much, IMHO, but plus wheels is what MTB should have been since the beginning.

MaxTheCyclist.com
    I don't think full fat is too much, but I do have 29+ wheels on my Pugs this summer and I do really enjoy it. The plus format is wonderful. I'm spinning dinglespeed, 31/18 and 24/25 for hills (it's a bikepacking bike).

Last edited by mdilthey; 07-01-2016 at 12:38 PM.

mtbr member
    My fiance and I really wanted fat bikes but was talked out of it for we were informed by more than one party that they are not as fast...
    Depends what you call fast.

My average speed is faster over distance on my fatbike than my lightweight 29er, but in short bursts I'm sure the 29er is faster. It wasn't until I did a 24 hour race on my fatbike (40lbs) and beat my previous PBs on the 29er that I realised this. I rode the fatbike because I figured it would be more forgiving on the rough stuff.

So if your rides are short and speed in short bursts is your main concern, maybe a 29er is what you want. If you want to cover large distances you may be better off on the fatbike because your average will likely be higher.

Tyres play a vital part in fatbike speed and comfort - I wouldn't put anything less that 120 tpi on my bike.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member

semi-fat

To the OP: i did this with my classic Bianchi BuSS, at least as wide as i could go.

Rear: my frame allowed a 2.5" weirwolf tire to my phil wood wheel, with just enough clearance. i altered the v brake a bit which now clears the tire.

Front: years ago i added the rigid Pace carbon fork. no lawyer tabs, and lots of clearance. 3" knard mounted to a new semi-fat front wheel.

geared down a bit i really like the feel of this bike in snow, sand, and over rocks and roots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SS to from MB to FAT...is it possible?-thumb_img_0458_1024.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DubzOxford View Post
    ^^^ I agree! Fat and Single going on 4 years. Gravel roads, paved path, trails, snow, whatever it wants.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6968.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	369.1 KB 
ID:	1078030
    What gearing are ya running for MI trails? Do you change gearing for the winter months?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members who have read this thread: 0