SS Leadville- Mtbr.com

Thread: SS Leadville

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

SS Leadville

Ok so I just finished watching Race Across The Sky and I got the bug to try this race SS. Have any of you guys done this? If so, what kind of gearing and what is a reasonable time to expect to complete this endeavour?

Or, am I just the little kid who watched the latest kungfu movie and wants to act out the part?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Not sure about racing it on a SS... I'm sure there would be a lot of walking. On a sidenote... it was a fantastic movie.

mtbr member
    I thought about this too. That long flat section might hose you - you'd have to find the right gearing to get up the columbine climb, while still being able to maintain a decent speed on that long set of flats.

That would be tough to do. And no you aren't the only one who thought about it. And anyone who rides it SS ... wow
    :wq

mtbr member
    DeeJay Birtch (Niner) managed to do it under 9hrs. I can't even begin to guess what gear he rolled...OK I'll guess 32:19.
    Cheers,
    M

Stayin' Puft
    Most run about 46-49 gear inches. I think a couple dudes run taller like maybe Charlie Hayes who won the SS class in 8 hours, 11 min for 27th overall. The results are posted on the race web site, 34 SS male finishers, 2 female.

There is no more walking than with a derailleur-bike since most of the climbs are sustained. Just a lot more spinning on the flattish parts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I figured there would definiteley be some walking and a draft or pull from some geared bikes would be a must. I think I am going to try the Tahoe Sierra 100 next year and see how that goes. Closer to home and a 50 mile "oh crap what did I get myself into" bailout option.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Mr. Curiak did it way back then, check it http://www.lacemine29.com/resume.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

mtbr member
    I have a buddy that rode it a couple years back, fully ridgid, 29er w/ a 32/18 setup.
    I am not sure about his time but I have seen his belt buckle.

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    You're going to hate one section or another, lots of flats between the climbs. Something in the 32x20 to 32x18 range is good on a 29er depending on how strong you are.

I'd love to get in and do it SS sometime. Got turned down 3 years in a row now since my last finish on my Fuel Not sure if I'll sign up this year.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

mtbr member

i've ridden the course in a 2:1 on a 26er in a pace a little over 10 hours, but haven't raced it. the columbine climb wore me out real good, ended up hiking basically treeline up. the grades pretty darn steep and there's virtually no place to recover with a mini flat section.

if i were to race i'd probably do it in a 32:18 or so. figure it'd be enough to let me climb more efficiently (less anaerobic so soon on), while still being able to hold a good clip on the non-crazy steep stuff. but then again, there's a lot of variation from person to person. i'm sure there's people riding around in florida on 32:18s thinking its difficult. as well as people who can blast up the columbine climb on a 2:1 like its nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    I thought about this too. That long flat section might hose you - you'd have to find the right gearing to get up the columbine climb, while still being able to maintain a decent speed on that long set of flats.
    the section in the middle isn't that flat. there's a number of rolls where the road traverses down into a wash and you have to coast regardless of what (ss) gearing you're in, and then traverse back up out of the wash. and then you gotta climb up that ridge to the point overlooking twin lakes, and then another short climb and descent after the dam but before starting columbine. you'd definitely be spinning up a storm in a 32x20 (26") on the road between powerline and the dirt, but the rest of the middle section it wouldn't be much of an issue imho.

here....elevation changes in the middle of the course. powerline descent is on the left, start of columbine climb is on the right.

Last edited by Timon; 10-25-2009 at 05:34 PM.

SS Chimp
    Done it 7 times on the SS with a few under 9 hours. My gear of choice is ~46.5 gear inches on a 26er or 29er. Charlie has run the same gear the last few years and it is more about the engine than the gear unless you go too tall. He will take ~15 mins out of me on Columbine.

Powerline seems to be the deciding factor for me. Running ~46.5 I can ride all of PL, with the exception of the bottom 100 yds, and that saves a tremendous amount of time.
    all single...all the time

Really I am that slow
    34x22 fixed in 12:08 and a 2.3 29er tire works out to 46.9 gear inches... its a cool event for sure!
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

Members who have read this thread: 0