SS KM Set-up ? for Newb (X-posted SS and 29)- Mtbr.com
    Big Fat Slow Dude
    May 2005

SS KM Set-up ? for Newb (X-posted SS and 29)

So, I just got this bike today:

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval

In setting it up (my first bike set up ever, not just SS) I seem to have 90% of the things right (including my new Jones H-Bars, which I LOVE) but I am concerned with the rear hub/wheel.

According to the ad it is a Chris King Single Speed. (And indeed, it is). However, I am nervous about two things:

1. The rear wheel is held by just those two bolts, pulled back tight (I assume) to provide chain tension. Is this correct? I'm used to motorcycles, where you actually turn bolts to set tension.

2. The Hub is ungodly loud. Like, free spinning or pedaling backwards, it is easily 2-3 times as loud as my other geared bikes are. Is this normal for this hub?

I'm concerned because the wheel seems to spin MUCH less freely and for about 1/5th as long, as my geared bikes. I have tried several times loosening the bolts and re-placing the wheel to be sure it is lined up in the brakes straight, etc....but nothing helps all that much. Is there something I am missing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Halinator

In setting it up (my first bike set up ever, not just SS) I seem to have 90% of the things right (including my new Jones H-Bars, which I LOVE) but I am concerned with the rear hub/wheel.

According to the ad it is a Chris King Single Speed. (And indeed, it is). However, I am nervous about two things:

1. The rear wheel is held by just those two bolts, pulled back tight (I assume) to provide chain tension. Is this correct? I'm used to motorcycles, where you actually turn bolts to set tension.

2. The Hub is ungodly loud. Like, free spinning or pedaling backwards, it is easily 2-3 times as loud as my other geared bikes are. Is this normal for this hub?

I'm concerned because the wheel seems to spin MUCH less freely and for about 1/5th as long, as my geared bikes. I have tried several times loosening the bolts and re-placing the wheel to be sure it is lined up in the brakes straight, etc....but nothing helps all that much. Is there something I am missing?

1. Nope, that's all there is too it.

2. King hubs are ungodly loud. They are also sealed very well, which may explain why they don't spin as long as your other wheels. They may break in for you though, especially if the hubs are pretty new.

Congrats on the new ride.

Big Fat Slow Dude
    May 2005

Let me reply to myself, myself. ;)

Ok. So I talked to Jason, whom I got the bike from, and he says that King hubs are just that loud. Which I can see... it is a feature. No need for a bell!

And in researching the CK website, I see that they estimate + ave drag on their hubs until they are broken in (60 hours) and Jason said he had 3 rides on it... no slam on him, but I doubt they were 20 hours each. Thus, that might explain some of the drag.

Am I correct?

That just leaves the obvious one, and really the simplest one that I basically know: This wheel is just pulled back and the bolts tightened, and that holds the wheel back, and the chain taught...no fancy adjusters, right?

Sad when I make a post, and then find out 90% of the answers myself.

Hal

Big Fat Slow Dude
    May 2005

Soon to be banned from MTBR I am sure...

On a SIDE note: I took a spin around, short. Quick thoughts:

1. The KM (XL) fits better than my old cannondale, but still... I need a bigger bike (I'm 6'7) I'm glad I have a Walt coming.

2. The 29inch wheels at first looked insane to me. Now, riding the bike, I can tell I probably still make them look small. I like how they roll over things no problem. I can tell I am hooked on 29ers for life.

3. The SS. Try and remember, I've only been biking SERIOUSLY for 1.5 months, so I am still profoundly fat (325 pounds, down 12 since I started) so I was terrified of a SS thinking I would be simply too fat to turn the cranks.

Really, because of the gearing, I spin out really fast on the flats, and it has been a BLAST to ride. Takes me back to my junker BMX bikes I had when I was a kid. This bike will be put to a gearie next week, and then put back to SS when the Walt Frame comes (probably late August?) I was thinking of selling it, but then, after jsut a few minutes of riding it, I can see I am going to love it too much.

So in summary:

1. Single Speed Assimilation: Complete
    2. 29er Assimilation: Complete
    3. KM XL.... cool, but... I need bigger! Maybe?

I guess all that is left for the forum to do now is convert me to Fixxies and Tandems. Those may take more time.

Hal

Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    1. Nope, that's all there is too it.

2. King hubs are ungodly loud. They are also sealed very well, which may explain why they don't spin as long as your other wheels. They may break in for you though, especially if the hubs are pretty new.

Congrats on the new ride.

'r you some kinda ssissy?
    That just leaves the obvious one, and really the simplest one that I basically know: This wheel is just pulled back and the bolts tightened, and that holds the wheel back, and the chain taught...no fancy adjusters, right? Hal
    you can get a fancy adjuster if you want. surly makes one called the tug nut. it also opens beers. it may or may not be necessary. if the wheel slips on you, the tug nut should take care of that, although there have been some real brutes in track and bmx circles who have never needed one.

Let the cowbell ring
    Mar 2004
    The 2 bolts will hold it just fine. Sometimes it takes some tuning to get the right tension on them. Also the louder the better with the Kings ( Sweet music to my ears only 2nd to the cowbell) Also Kings are often tight to start with and loosen as they go. The grease is thick in there. Just give it some time and make sure it doesnt get too loose. Also on the non drive side is a 3/32 bolt. You can play with this to adjust the actual hub tension. If the hub is loose, just loosen the bolt and turn until the play is gone. Works great. Have fun

Big Fat Slow Dude
    May 2005

Ahhh......

That is good to know about the non-driveside bolt. I'm still a little spazzy when it comes to bikes. I'm not used to imperfections in gear being normal (ie a wheel being a little out of true = normal, etc.). I relax with time, really.

And I rode it more after my three machine-gun posts. Really, I'm thinking I won't even make it a geary. Just ride it SS and wait and let the Walt be a geary. Riding around, and knowing I could stand up and pedal, like when I was a kid, and the thing was not going to (hopefully?) skip off the gear or ghost shift...was awesome.

I do mostly road riding, and I NEVER stand and climb because my bike ghosts and jumps all the time, and I am just waiting for it to happen and me slip, and lose some teeth. Riding the SS increases my standing confidence 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by capn cowbell
    The 2 bolts will hold it just fine. Sometimes it takes some tuning to get the right tension on them. Also the louder the better with the Kings ( Sweet music to my ears only 2nd to the cowbell) Also Kings are often tight to start with and loosen as they go. The grease is thick in there. Just give it some time and make sure it doesnt get too loose. Also on the non drive side is a 3/32 bolt. You can play with this to adjust the actual hub tension. If the hub is loose, just loosen the bolt and turn until the play is gone. Works great. Have fun