SS for Kids- Mtbr.com

Thread: SS for Kids

mtbr member

SS for Kids

Anybody hook there kids up with a SS mtb? I sometimes bring my 7 yr on the trails, he is a big boy for his age at 4' 8". I'm thinking of getting him on a 26" SS, I don't want to muck him up with gears and all. Usually, he is riding his BMX, however the wheels are a little too small for the rooty sections we encounter. When I take him, it's mostly flowy single track with roots and short steep climbs, nothing too big. Looking for advice on where to start? I'm thinking a 14 or 15" frame and will probably need to build it up, unless any good off the shelf options.

He has 2 younger brothers, so not too worried about him outgrowing something nice, can always be passed down.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
    anything Steel

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Misfit is supposedly coming out with a dissent kd frame. It allows kids to comfortable ride 26 inch wheels without the frame stretching them out. I hope he hurries up with the frame. He was working on version 2 in January.

mtbr member
    How about something with 24" wheels?
    I have my 7 yr old on a Gary Fisher Pre-Caliber SS and he loves it. It has 20" wheels though.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. The misfit sounds very interesting. I've cracked a couple fishers and have soured on the brand, although I'm sure the preCaliber would be fine.
    anything Steel

Apr 2007
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uO6octPOh7g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gotta pay to play
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uO6octPOh7g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Great movie.

Great idea. Just get him a BMX.

I AM I AM
    My Daughter is about to turn 7 and we just got her a 24" mtb as an early birthday present. I reckon it's the best thing I've ever done. A bit like your Son she's tall for her age (pretty much as tall as my 8.5yr old boy).
    What I'm trying to say is don't discount gears too soon especially if he might be riding up hills. My daughters bike is a Giant Areva 2 and it has a single ring up front with 7 gears up back, which I think is great, just a twist shifter which isn't too hard for them to figure out.

The thing is I reckon if you want the kids to go trail riding with you it's hard not to seriously consider getting them a mtb, if the're more into the social bmx scene with their friends then you've got to go with what they like, otherwise from a parents perspective bmx is a great choice as a 20" bike can last them just about forever ...well into their teens! I would have loved to get my Daughter a bmx for this reason, she was never really into riding anyway, and that was also part of the problem, she doesn't have the confidence to stand up and pedal really. But after getting her new mtb she really likes to ride it and she has new found confidence, so even if she's to grow out of that bike in a few years I Think it's an investment well made still.

I'd keep his bmx if you think that as he gets older he'll be hanging out at the skate park with his friends etc.. We got our Son a proper 20" wheel bmx when he turned 7, it's the popular scene among school kids in the small town we're in ...although we personally live a bit out of town, but he's still happy with it even after seeing the mtb that my Daughter now has so seems to have been the right choice for him for now at least lol.

Link to Daughters bike...
    Areva 2 24" (Girls) (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Australia

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    Great movie.

Great idea. Just get him a BMX.
    He already has a Redline and an Intense Pro XL. He usually rides the Intense, however the wheels are too small to comfortably handle some of the roots and soft patches we encounter. I think a small mtb would be much better for the trails. Plus I have already built up my mtb to where it needs to be, now I need a new project to obsess over.
    anything Steel

mtbr member
    Go check out and search the family forum. I was gonna do a SS for my kids and general consensus there is that kids are not strong enough for SS. Yours might be though.

Anyways check out some of the sweet builds there. Some one offs and some diet programs with XTR. Very cool stuff.

One build I like was a Sette Reken 14" frame built with 24" wheels.

mtbr member
    Here's my link below to a thread I started over there. It's not exactly what you are looking for but there's some good info in that thread.

http://forums.mtbr.com/families-ridi...tb-731414.html

mtbr member
    Thanks Metal, just sent some positive reps your way...however my family is SS all the way.
    anything Steel

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I made my 10 y/o's 24" into a SS. He never shifted anyways. He loves it. My 12 y/o is about the size of your son and is on an XS GT 26". She has and uses gears.

Dirty South Underdog
    If you want to go 26" instead of 24," try looking for a women's frame. Cannondale makes a "petite" size that I've fit a few kids on. It works well because it comes with a shorty stem and slightly narrower handlebars than what they spec on unisex bikes.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio