banned
    Jun 2018

Ss hubs not that noisy?

have any recommendations?
    HOPE/KING/DT SWISS - way too noisy.
    someone tried the ONYX?
    freehub

WillWorkForTrail
    I've ridden an Onyx. Dead silent, instant engagement. If the money isn't a problem, I don't think you can go wrong with it.

psycho cyclo addict
    Hub "noise" has never bothered me and I find it to be quite useful when passing others in either direction by coasting for just a brief moment if not longer.

King and DT top the durability list in my stable. I have multiple sets that are more than 10 years old and still going strong (with minimal periodic maintenance every year or two). A couple of my sets of King's are the "quietest" most people have ever "heard".
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    More engagement = more noise for the most part. the DT 350 with 18t ratchet is pretty quiet but if engagement is an issue then onyx is really your only option. Totally understand the loud hub thing. I would rather just use a bell or my voice when overtaking people. then I don't have to listen to the horrid noise the rest of the time I am on the bike.

mtbr member
    I never felt King hubs were too bad, Hope on the other hand are obnoxious.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Always in the wrong gear
    My Hadley rear hub is crazy quiet if I drop 2-3 drops of PFTE oil in the pawls every so often.
    Itís what Hadley recommends for service.
    Iíd imagine that would mute any hub as well as it does mine.
    I change cogs pretty often so about every 4th/5th swap I lube it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    In my experience, DT is about as quiet as it gets without going to something like Onyx. When I'm riding, I honestly don't hear my hub since tire noise pretty much drowns everything else out...

That said, if I had to ride with an I9 on my bike I'd probably veer off the trail and aim for a tree as soon as I saw one big enough.

banned
    Jun 2018
    all the above cost like my frame
    i saw wtb laserdisc ss hub? anyone heard of it?

Always in the wrong gear

Ss hubs not that noisy?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilik View Post
    all the above cost like my frame
    i saw wtb laserdisc ss hub? anyone heard of it?
    Your budget changes things. IMO, if youíre looking at Ďoem qualityí hubs like Laserdiscs, just get some Shimano SLX hubs and move on with your life.

All low engagement hubs are pretty quiet. More engagement usually means more noise unless you grease liberally, or get something funky like an Onyx with a sprag clutch.

Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    Have run hope, hadley, king, formula, onyx(roughly order of noise, hope loud!). Would never buy anything but Onyx again, dead silent( which complements Ss i think), ling lasting, virtually infinite POE(awesome in the rock gardens). Have a set f/r of the wtb Ss laser in garage never used they had a rep like shimano for blowing pawls apart.

Edit: side note a bit funny but the Hopes really seemed to set off any rattler in nearby brush
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Project321, not inexpensive, but nearly silent.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    In my experience, DT is about as quiet as it gets without going to something like Onyx. When I'm riding, I honestly don't hear my hub since tire noise pretty much drowns everything else out...

That said, if I had to ride with an I9 on my bike I'd probably veer off the trail and aim for a tree as soon as I saw one big enough.
    You say that now lol, but I just happened to clip my right bar on a tree on my ride yesterday. It sent me across the trail into the ground and another tree at pretty high speed. Ended up breaking my scapula.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I have a SS stan's hub. 135mm spacing sitting on a shelf with very little use. If interested shoot me a message.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Are your DT hubs working properly? My 240s's are some of the quietest hubs I've found. Completely agree on CK's though. I know some people like them, but they're downright ridiculous.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

Downcountry AF
    My P321 is pretty quiet even without the oil in it. (which is why I wasn't going to recommend it. They still don't have a seal that will hold oil going on 2 years later. But, it's still super quiet, even more so with oil in it...)

My Hadley is also very quiet when it holds oil... yup, that one puked it's oil out on several occasions. Tried replacing the seal, held for a while but lost it's oil again.

Still looking for a quiet SS hub that is trouble free.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    My P321 is pretty quiet even without the oil in it. (which is why I wasn't going to recommend it. They still don't have a seal that will hold oil going on 2 years later. But, it's still super quiet, even more so with oil in it...)

My Hadley is also very quiet when it holds oil... yup, that one puked it's oil out on several occasions. Tried replacing the seal, held for a while but lost it's oil again.

Still looking for a quiet SS hub that is trouble free.
    Hubs arenít supposed to have enough oil in them to Ďpukeí. Literally two drops on each pawl on is all it needs.

mtbr member
    Onyx is my favorite hub except for the weight. It's noticeably smoother and quieter and would be my recommendation if you don't care about weight.
    I've had 3 sets of the new P321 Hubs because they have the features I want without the weight penalty. I just use dumonde tech grease and don't have leakage like mentioned above. Not silent but smooth and quiet considering the amount of engagement.

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by Impetus View Post
    Hubs arenít supposed to have enough oil in them to Ďpukeí. Literally two drops on each pawl on is all it needs.
    Which company do you work for, Hadley or P321? I've had lengthy conversations with both.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    One quiet and cheap option is a Shimano freewheel, which are very quiet, ($22 LINK) and a Surly single speed rear hub ($100 LINK).

My surly rear hub has been bomber for a decade. I have White Industries Trials freehub on it, which is great, but louder and more expensive than the Shimano ones.

Or run the Surly hub fixed for the ultimate in quiet...
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Which company do you work for, Hadley or P321? I've had lengthy conversations with both.
    I canít fathom why Mike (Hadley) would tell you to jam the pawls full of grease when he purposely sells PFTE in a dropper bottle and gives instructions on its use. Erik at Balle says the same, assume thatís because they are the main Hadley distributor in the US and would go with the hub builders recommendation.

Shrug. You do you. This isnít a pissing contest. Iíll keep servicing the bearings about 1x/yr and oiling the pawls every so often, I expect my hub to continue on for the next 5 or more years just as they have for the last 5.

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by Impetus View Post
    I canít fathom why Mike (Hadley) would tell you to jam the pawls full of grease when he purposely sells PFTE in a dropper bottle and gives instructions on its use. Erik at Balle says the same, assume thatís because they are the main Hadley distributor in the US and would go with the hub builders recommendation.

Shrug. You do you. This isnít a pissing contest. Iíll keep servicing the bearings about 1x/yr and oiling the pawls every so often, I expect my hub to continue on for the next 5 or more years just as they have for the last 5.
    Who said anything about grease? I'm using the product they sent me.

Thanks for all your helpful input though...
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    some hubs can be quieted with some slightly thicker lube in the freehub body. cheap fix fer the win?