SS hubs and chainline- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

SS hubs and chainline

Does anyone know the range of possible chainlines (minimum and maximum) for DT Swiss, CK, and I9 hubs? Looking to set up a dinglespeed and want to know if that's going to work out.

Thanks.

WWYD?
    A cassette-type rear single speed hub will give you the best variability, also if you use a double crankset set you can put the ring on either side of the spider to move the chainline too.

I've tried a dingle, had no matching ring up front so the gear that wasn't my primary would have a bit of rubbing noise. I gave up on the idea and just stick with one gear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    johnnyb, your experience sounds alot like mine... A dingle setup is cool for a while, until you realize how much time you spend ****ing with it. I still have my WI dingle freewheel, but only because it is an awesome fw, and I just run it on the 18T all the time.

Personally, I gave up on freehubs too... three wheelsets, all freehub cassette type... all broken. One (fairly cheap, at that) wheelset with a fixed gear / SS freewheel setup, still going strong.

One thing to watch out for: most riders tend to gear a SS fairly low, and freehubs are designed in such a way that the low gears should be closer to the hub flange. You can potentially run into problems with a 20/22T sprocket spacered-out nearly to the end of the freehub body... At least, that has been my experience.

slip20, if you want to set up a dingle on a freehub based wheel (after the all the glowing reviews)... all you need to do make sure your outer chainring position results in less than a 52mm chainline. Then, any 8/9 speed compatible freehub body will work for you. Make sure you get a lot of different sized spacers, and spend the time measuring and getting both chainlines dialed in to ~1mm. One more question: horizontal dropouts, chain tensioner, or eccentric bottom bracket?

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by sunset1123
    Personally, I gave up on freehubs too... three wheelsets, all freehub cassette type... all broken. One (fairly cheap, at that) wheelset with a fixed gear / SS freewheel setup, still going strong.

One thing to watch out for: most riders tend to gear a SS fairly low, and freehubs are designed in such a way that the low gears should be closer to the hub flange. You can potentially run into problems with a 20/22T sprocket spacered-out nearly to the end of the freehub body... At least, that has been my experience.
    I've got an XT 8 speed hub on my go-to singlespeed with no issues, but the gear is in the middle of the hub (16mm) and my commuter has a Nashbar rear ss cassette hub and I've been running that near the end with only a 2mm spacer before the locking nut, something to keep checking on. My issue with the commuter is the chainring; a 39 tooth fits on a Monocog and clears the chainstay, I want to put a 42 tooth but that means I have to move the chain line another 2mm to clear the CS. Its going to sit on the end of the SS FH, yikes!

Members who have read this thread: 0