SS Hub vs. Gear Hub???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

SS Hub vs. Gear Hub???

I am getting ready to build a new rear wheel for my 29er SS.... I decided I wanted to go with a CK hub, but I am torn between going with the SS hub or the Gear Hub with spacers...

As I see it, going with the geared hub gives me some flexibility -- potentially, if I even want to use this on a geared bike, I can reuse the hub.... or, potentially, switch to the steel drive shell (I have gouged my Al drive shells using the CK steel cogs)

The benefit of the SS hub is a stronger wheel - no dish on the drive side spokes... But how much of a benefit is this? I have never had issues with the wheels on my geared bikes - and they take a beating... I can see that there would be greater lateral stress on the wheels climbing switchbacks on the SS...

Is the benefit of the SS hub that significant? Or is the geared hub fine, and the flexibility of reuse worth going that direction...

Thanks

aka baycat
    I have not personally noticed a difference in an SS vs. Geared hub. I would go with your first thought on using the wheel for other applications.

I wanted a geared rear wheel so I could play around with chainline and easily swap out Cogs which are cheaper than freewheels.

mtbr member
    Seems like you've made all the relevant points already.

Doesn't the geared hub come with the alu drive shell, so you'd probably want to switch that to steel right off the bat.

If you aren't particularly hard on wheels and have no problems now, you probably don't need the extra strength of the dishless wheel, though if you plan on gearing it really high and torquing the hell out of it you may want the extra strength. I run my gearing pretty low so I have no experience there. I doubt you would tear the wheel apart just by mashing the pedals unless you're a clydesdale.

You did forget to mention aesthetics though, the SS hub looks cleaner without all those spacers, I'm guessing thats why many people like them.

mtbr member
    The only reason I went with an SS Hope Hub was for the steel body and double the POE. But if I bought a CK, I'd get the geared hub. That would provide a lot of flexibility for future application.

But if Bling makes a difference, then SS...
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by traffic002
    The only reason I went with an SS Hope Hub was for the steel body and double the POE. But if I bought a CK, I'd get the geared hub. That would provide a lot of flexibility for future application.

But if Bling makes a difference, then SS...
    Hope SS hub is a steel body?!?? I have a Hope Hub - and I have gouging on the drive shell from the CK Steel Cog...

mtbr member
    Ah, sorry.

Al body, steel cassette body.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopetechusa
    Description : The all new Pro2 range of hubs include a further development of our proven ratchet mechanism. This features a one piece steel rotor body and pawl carrier. Four pawls engage into a forty two tooth steel ratchet which is fixed into the hub shell and is sealed with a frictionless, non contact labyrinth seal. The axle runs on five cartridge bearings. The hub shell is machined from a solid billet of 2014 T6 aluminium.
    This specific rear Trials hub is available with four pawls, offset in two pairs, offering a forty eight engagement ratchet. The rear axle is also upgraded with only a 5mm hole drilled to fit a qr through giving exceptional strength.

Weight: 361g
    Bearing type: Cartridge (5 off)
    Hub Body: 2014 T6 aluminium
    Cassette body: Steel
    Ratchet type: 4 pawl (42 engagement)
    Just get out and ride!

Members who have read this thread: 1