SS hub, or not?- Mtbr.com

Thread: SS hub, or not?

mtbr member

SS hub, or not?

I'll be in the market for a new wheel set pretty soon. I'm running the stock c'dale hubs laced to suntour rims. The rear hub is SS specific and I like it OK but basically I just want a stiffer and lighter wheel set. Is there a huge advantage for me to continue running a SS specific rear hub? I'm not sure I can spend the money on an I9 or CK or the likes so I was looking at some of the wheel sets Mavic has out there. I'm not interested in the bling factor, and as long as the wheels are reliable and more importantly confidence inspiring, that's what I'm after.

What would I gain by staying with a SS hub?

What are some disadvantages to getting a standard hub?

I ride really rocky conditions so durability is more important than weight. I was looking at the Mavic CrossMax: STs, and SXs. I want a bombproof wheelset, but I'm also concerned about the hub/freehub quality... I can also service Mavics very easily at my shop so that's not an issue.
    My one says BRAP!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    In theory an SS hub will allow you to build a stronger rear wheel with less dish... however I prefer to use standard hubs to be able to switch wheels in a pinch....

I am also looking for a new wheelset for my SS... and will probably go for Hope Pro 2s with DT 4.2d rims (that way it can be switched for my Hope Pro 2/DT 5.1s if necessary )

conjoinicorned
    i'm in the market for a set of SS-specific hubs. the reason? because i'll always have an SS, so i want a nice set of SS hubs.

i've never, ever had any problems with wheel strength or whatever with regular cassette hubs and a good cog/spacer set-up, so if there's any chance of the wheels being used at some point for gears....well the choice is obvious. if there's 100% likelihood that the bike(S) will stay SS specific, go with the SS-specific for the no-dish, perfect chainline wheel.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Members who have read this thread: 0