SS Hub or 9 speed hub?- Mtbr.com
    Explosive

SS Hub or 9 speed hub?

I have a Salsa Juan solo that needs a new rear wheel. However I plan on building a SS 29er in the next year or two. I also plan on getting/building a geared FS for those "lazy" days. I am going to use the parts off of the Juan Solo to build up the 29er, except of course the wheels and fork. So here is the question, Should I go ahead and get a 9 speed rear wheel or get a SS and sell it later. I dont know 100% that I will get a FS but I am going to do the 29er for sure. After 2 cheap wheels I am looking at a Hope on the low end and CK or I9 on the high end.

I know the SS will be stiffer, but how much? And other then that, and of course bling, is there really any advantage to a SS over the 9 speed.

Thanks
    I am disgusted with the way old people are depicted on television; we are not all vibrant fun loving sex maniacs. Many of us are bitter, resentful individuals who remember the good old days, when entertainment was mild and inoffensive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i prefer 9speed hubs....i tried ss hubs with the same build and it is only very marginally stiffer.....9speed hubs for more variety and versatility.

HTFU and Ride
    I am going with a 9spd on my next one as well, just in the odd chance that I wanna throw a cassette and rear mech to run geared.

also easier (and cheaper) to change gear ratios depending on the ride.
    Winter is coming.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I would not worry about the stiffness factor on the 26 wheel,but on the 29er go with the wide hub and 32 spokes.The I9 and crossmax29 are plenty stiff at lease for 250lbs.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by explodingtaco
    I have a Salsa Juan solo that needs a new rear wheel. However I plan on building a SS 29er in the next year or two. I also plan on getting/building a geared FS for those "lazy" days. I am going to use the parts off of the Juan Solo to build up the 29er, except of course the wheels and fork. So here is the question, Should I go ahead and get a 9 speed rear wheel or get a SS and sell it later.
    If you are not going to keep the wheel for a long time, I'd suggest just the cassette style wheel. It will be more versatile, and that sounds like it will best suit you. Be sure to get SS cogs with a wide cog base width, like Surly or King. Stamped cogs will tear up your freehub body.

One more option is (if you are going for a high quality and high dollar SS hub) you could always have it relaced to a 29er rim when you go to the big wheels.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Explosive
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMojo
    One more option is (if you are going for a high quality and high dollar SS hub) you could always have it relaced to a 29er rim when you go to the big wheels.
    Oh YEA

I didn't even think about that.

I still might wait since I'm not 100% when I will build the 29er, but At least I know I can get a SS Hub and not regret it.
    I am disgusted with the way old people are depicted on television; we are not all vibrant fun loving sex maniacs. Many of us are bitter, resentful individuals who remember the good old days, when entertainment was mild and inoffensive.

Members who have read this thread: 0