ss help- Mtbr.com

Thread: ss help

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

ss help

so im switchin to singlespeed cus gears are a pain in my ****............. what will i need to buy to make this **** happen

Live, Freeze, and Ride
    On the top right of this page you'll see this:
    Forum Links

Forum Guidelines

Create Your Own Mtbr Blog»

Singlespeed:
    FAQ - read this first!!

Start there, then come back with what you need help on.
    Inbred 29er Dinglespeed
    Rush Hour SS
    4One5 SS
    Hard Rock SS/Fixie
    In the woodSS
    I work for a bike parts company

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    ok so i looked at that and i have a pretty good idea of what i wanna do but i need help on 2 things
    -how do u take the front derailer off the chain without breaking the chain (there are no openings in the derailer cage)
    -how do u shorten a chain

Live, Freeze, and Ride
    1) you don't, break the chain and insert a Sram powerlink (super easy chain removal there after), or break the derailleur (BREAK THE CHAIN, it's cheaper)
    2) with the chain tool, you got to break the chain, figure out how much to take out and pop that piece off
    Check out Sheldon Brown's website.
    The answers you seek are there. And then some.
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/
    Inbred 29er Dinglespeed
    Rush Hour SS
    4One5 SS
    Hard Rock SS/Fixie
    In the woodSS

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    aight thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    o and if i were to get this chain
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/14075-070_SRAP15-3-Parts-381-Chains/Sram-PC-1-Single-Speed-Chain-'06.htm
    would that have that powerlink stuff on it or is it separate

Exclusively Single
    Dude, seriously. Go to a bike shop or find a mechanic otherwise that can physically help you out with this one. I think you may overlook some very important things. There's way more to it than simply removing your derailers and putting on another chain. You will want to replace your shifty chainrings and cogs (they are designed to throw the chain), you need to get the chainline very close to perfect, and you have to tension the chain somehow. Otherwise you'll be overwhelmed by frustration when the chain won't stay on your bike, and if you manage to get to the trail and your chain comes off on your first uphill grind, you'll be in a world of hurt.

Live, Freeze, and Ride
    It comes with it. And you'll have to cut the new chain to size(save the extra).
    And yeah there's more to it. Way to dampen their spirits long hazy daze.
    Yeah you might find SS chainrings work better (they do) but you might also find that putting the one's you have on backwards (as long as they aren't too worn) works just as well and you already have the parts. Like using the rear derailleur stretched way out as a tensioner. Try it out then spend the money on good SS parts. This way you'll know what you want and need.
    Inbred 29er Dinglespeed
    Rush Hour SS
    4One5 SS
    Hard Rock SS/Fixie
    In the woodSS

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    k so i have everything goin except i need a new chain, a tensioner, and possibly a freewheel or somethin to go on the back......................... i also need a help with my cassette its stuck on the back and i took out hte axle and everythin is just stuck on the hub, how do i get it off

Exclusively Single
    Wasn't trying to be a damper, just straight-up.

Imagine what a damper it would be had he gone out, dropped a chain, and crashed his boys into the stem as he went over the bars.

^^^alex, you need a cassette removal tool to remove a cassette. Your best bet for a cog/spacers/tensioner is probably one of the many "SS conversion kits" that are available from pretty much any online shop. A flipped "shifty" chain ring may be marginally safer, but it will still have shifting ramps and pins (which are what "throw" or derail the chain), and most notably very short teeth that will do little to nothing at keeping the chain on under load. If you end up doing the conversion yourself, I would still suggest that you take it to a shop and have your drive train looked over, just make sure that it's not going to have any obvious failures.

I'm only being emphatic about that because when I was cobbling together my first ss conversions and my mechanical skills weren't very strong, I made several mistakes that resulted in dropped chains, which is never a good time when you're out of the saddle mashing uphill. Trust me on that.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    It's always good to find someone with experience who can help you with this kind of conversion...especially the first one.

My first attempt at an SS has been running strong for a few thousand kilometres but I do have a little experience when it comes to bikes and all things mechanical and did a good deal of studying before I start ripping off parts.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    aight thanks, i think i will take it to a shop, there arent any failure yet cus ive barely started alls ive done so far is taken off shifters and derailers.......... how much do u think itll cost to have the what ive done so far converted into a single speed at a shop

mtbr member
    What kind of bike is this?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    its an 06 completly stock kona scrap except for parts ive taken off now

Live, Freeze, and Ride
    Go to your LBS and get the tool Long Hazy Daze suggests. You'll use it a lot until you figure out what gear you like. And some SS conversion kits come with cogs (a 16 and 18 or 18 and 20), get one of those if you don't have any already (like from an old cassette).
    You may be able to source parts from the "scrap" bin at the LBS to keep it a budget build until you're "sure".
    If your not sure of something once it's built, take it in for a drivetrain check. It really does suck to lose a chain going uphill. It usually really hurts too.
    Inbred 29er Dinglespeed
    Rush Hour SS
    4One5 SS
    Hard Rock SS/Fixie
    In the woodSS

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    ok so i got a chain whip or w/e its called and i got a lockring tool and ive looked online to see how to get the cassette off but i cant... can anyone help me with taht
    Last edited by mynameisalex29; 03-18-2007 at 03:21 PM.

RJG
    mtbr member
    Go to this website and click on the rear wheel cassette area. It may or may not help. You could go buy Zinn and the Art of Bicycle Maintenence too.
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/

R

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    nvm i got it off; now how do u take a cassette apart like i want the cogs all separate

Live, Freeze, and Ride
    Sometimes prying works. Sometimes there are pins that hold it together. If you have a dremel like device, file off the pinheads and it should the pull apart.
    Voila, a choice of cogs and a set of spacers. You may need to stack a few cogs on to fill in space.
    I personally like to spread out three cogs with a bunch of spacers to make a crazy meat tenderizer/grinder.
    Inbred 29er Dinglespeed
    Rush Hour SS
    4One5 SS
    Hard Rock SS/Fixie
    In the woodSS

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    is takin the cassette apart really worth it or since i have the money should i just buy a singlespeed set with like 3 cogs and a couple of spacers?
    i broke my chain so do i get a powerlink or do i get a new single speed chain thats powerlink?
    and finally since i ride street and dirtjump is a tensioner somethin i should get or is it not great for that kind of riding

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    With a singlespeed you only need one cog that should be SS specific as these are non ramped and have taller teeth which holds the chain better but ramped cogs from a cassette can also work. Depending on the value of the cassette you migt opt to buy a kit and save the cassette for another bike.

Setting the chain line involves aligning the rear cog with the front chain ring which can be run outboard or inboard of the crank spider... inboard applications often involve the installation of a bash ring / chain guard /guide although many opt to run their rings nekkid. this will require shorter chain ring bolts or spacing washers.

If your bike has vertical dropouts and doesn't have an eccentric BB or hub you will need a tensioner which will mount to the rear hangar.

Proper chain tension is essential to make sure the chain engages enough teeth and doesn't skip.

My son's SS was running a 32:16 and was having some tensioning issues that couldn't be addressed by adjusting the chain so I swapped the 32 tooth ring for a 34 and voila... we had perfect chain tension and no skipping.

My SS HT runs a 32:18 and uses an old derailleur that's been cut down and modified to use as it's tensioner and this too has worked perfectly.

If your bike dropouts are SS friendly (horizontal or rear facing ) then a tensioner isn't needed although securing the wheel becomes more important. Serrated washers serve to lock the wheel in place and keep it in shifting or things like tugs can be used.

I just finished building up my 5th SS last night... the gang here is de-gearing for a summer of SS'ing on the road / trail and one of the guys needed a tall bike to serve as an SS roadie.

I cobbled together this old lady together from a nearly perfect Raleigh Super Grande Prix frame and spare parts I have in my shop.

I replaced the rear freewheel with a 16 tooth BMX freewheel and turned the double crank into a single by using spacing washers in place of the 2nd ring.

That 25 inch road frame actually makes the 27 inch wheels look small.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    kk, so ill just get a new ss set with spacers and cogs, um well so do i need to get a new chain or just powerlinks or whatever they're called

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    You can pin the old chain or use a powerlink/quicklink once the length is right and can also use a BMX chain which most would consider optimal.

Again (and your mileage may vary)...I haven't had issues with 7-8 speed chain.

Once you get the first one done up and dialled in the rest get much easier.

Members who have read this thread: 0