is ss harder on rear wheels- Mtbr.com
    pedal me happy
    Oct 2009

is ss harder on rear wheels

I will have a sir 9 soon and eventually want to keep it as a ss and am wondering if
    ss are harder on wheels than one with gears. It seems to me they would be with all
    the standing and powering up stuff would put more stress on them so is it better
    to have a stronger setup than a normal light xc wheel. I am new to ss so I am loving all
    the info on here.

mbtr member
    Going downhill puts a lot more stress on the wheel than going uphill. A SS specific wheel is a sturdier design than a 9sp wheel. No worries.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A SS specific wheel has to have less dish then a geared rear wheel.
    Much stronger then a converted cassette.
    Riding one gear wears harder on the drive train though.

- factotum -
    I seem to wear out cartridge bearings in the hubs more often on my singlespeed bikes than on the geared ones. Front and rear.

Maybe this is due to out-of-saddle riding...? or: Maybe this is because I don't ride my geared bikes often enough? I don't know.

I switched back to hubs with cup-and-cone bearings (whereever possible) which seem to last longer (at least for me)

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh Bear
    I seem to wear out cartridge bearings in the hubs more often on my singlespeed bikes than on the geared ones. Front and rear.

Maybe this is due to out-of-saddle riding...? or: Maybe this is because I don't ride my geared bikes often enough? I don't know.

I switched back to hubs with cup-and-cone bearings (whereever possible) which seem to last longer (at least for me)
    i'm the other way around, i cant get cup and cone hubs to stay tight to save my life. I've tried everything, even loctite.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I find that I kill rear wheels on my SS more often than my geared bike. But the singlespeed gets alot more miles and has had different wheelsets... so it's not exactly a fair comparison. I do believe the singlespeeding has contributed to their deaths though.

On the SS I've killed a machine built XT-717 wheel (geared compatible hub), and a machine built XT-Velocity Blunt (another geared hub). Both those lasted less than a season. I'm having a 36H P35 hand-laced to a SS Surly hub now. If I can kill that in less than a season I've got other issues .

The geared bike has a set of Mavic crossrides. They've been holding up very well which has, frankly, surprised me.
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

pedal me happy
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for all the replies. I can't wait to get my new frame and try it out. Riding big wheels
    brought a whole new thrill to riding and its all I want to do anymore so if riding ss kick it
    up another notch I am in trouble, I'll have a serious addiction then as if it isn't bad already!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I don't think this is a geared wheel vs. ss wheel thing, but a quality hub vs. a low quality hub thing. A high quality hub hand built into a wheel (by someone who knows what they're doing) will last as long as anything.

It is true, though, that a most ss hubs let you run a dishless rear wheel, which in theory is stronger than a dished wheel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I had a budget mavic crossride wheelset that worked fine SS until I tried to run it fixed with a bolt on cog... fried the hub bearings inside of three weeks for some reason. Still trying to sort that one out.

- factotum -
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    I don't think this is a geared wheel vs. ss wheel thing, but a quality hub vs. a low quality hub thing. A high quality hub hand built into a wheel (by someone who knows what they're doing) will last as long as anything.

It is true, though, that a most ss hubs let you run a dishless rear wheel, which in theory is stronger than a dished wheel.
    Well, yes and no.

I am just talking bearings here: I killed DT Swiss hubs (Onyx and 240) in a year each. I have nearly killed my Hope ProII SS in the course of a year (I still run the bearings that developed a lot of play.) The only thing that lasted really long was an old XT hub (737 if you still remember those ) After three years this one eventually gave up too. I am careful with my material - no high pressure cleaning but regular services.

The DT 240s and the Hope can be considered quite "High Quality" I think.

Members who have read this thread: 0