SS, a grand or less?- Mtbr.com
    Kearsarge crawler

New question here. SS, a grand or less?

I'm thinking maybe a single speed maybe a good addition to the stable for winter riding and some in the summer. What would be a good complete bike to purchace for a grand or less? I would like to get a rigid bike that doesn't have to be real fancy.
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Options

You have plenty of options under a K. Surly 1x1 or KM, either of the Redlines, Bianchi, Or a custom frame (Vulture, etc) and some old parts you have. The poss. are endless.

sufferer of a.d.d.
    ...cannondale makes a "cheap" ss, the kona unit is another nice one for relatively little $....

Kearsarge crawler
    Quote Originally Posted by cross4
    You have plenty of options under a K. Surly 1x1 or KM, either of the Redlines, Bianchi, Or a custom frame (Vulture, etc) and some old parts you have. The poss. are endless.
    Surly seems to be one that I see a lot about. I saw a frame on the web called Phobia, ever heard of them? They are going for a very low price, 1 frame for $90 and another for $150.
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?

rejected
    Bianchi SASS...
    Shiney Ass Single Speed....

No more explanation needed here...

mtbr member
    I was at Mountain Bike City (Calgary) today - last year's Kona Unit was on for $750.
    Convert that to US $ and you have a wicked ride for $563 + tax.

There's no beating that!!!

They also had the Kona A full suspension on for $1600

Cracker-magnon
    Quote Originally Posted by minkhiller
    I'm thinking maybe a single speed maybe a good addition to the stable for winter riding and some in the summer. What would be a good complete bike to purchace for a grand or less? I would like to get a rigid bike that doesn't have to be real fancy.
    I would go for the Kona Unit. The '04s have the sliding vertical drops, and are disk compatable. I think a nicer quality frame than the Bianchi and probably a tad lighter than the Surly. I think they are in the $750 - 800 complete range.
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

FUD
    ®
    Jan 2004

$1000?

convert an old stumpy or whatever youve got laying around and spend the rest on hookers and coke.

ballbuster

MIne was a tad under a G

It was actually under a C, heh

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by FUD
    convert an old stumpy or whatever youve got laying around and spend the rest on hookers and coke.

Here is a wise man. And I assume you mean Soda.

ballbuster

or buy one off craigslist.org...

for a C note. They're all over the place. Some guy who bought a $300-400 mountain bike and never rode it, it now sits in the garage, SO makes him sell it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by minkhiller
    Not at all hard to do - either new or used. You'll see used Bianchis, Surlys and similar on ebay and classifieds that often have some parts upgrades. I got a used Voodoo that way, 3-4 years ago, and even after replacing a lot of parts I've worn out, adding different freewheels to the mix and other stuff I'm shy of $1000. It even came with a King head set and XTR brakes, and I often see the King upgrade done to used bikes.

I haven't tried all the moderately priced models, but do like the way the Bianchis ride. I also like them because grew up with Bianchi's VP who designs the bikes and runs the US operation, and she's a real honest bike person who tries very hard to get customers good stuff with a good price.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by gpsser
    I would go for the Kona Unit. The '04s have the sliding vertical drops, and are disk compatable. I think a nicer quality frame than the Bianchi and probably a tad lighter than the Surly. I think they are in the $750 - 800 complete range.
    Me, too. $799 list price, disc ready (wheels and frame). Nice bike.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Kearsarge crawler
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy©®™
    Me, too. $799 list price, disc ready (wheels and frame). Nice bike.
    I have the chance to get a Ritchey frame and rigid fork to build an SS, may be tempting.

paintbucket
    I'm with the build it, don't buy it crowd. At least for a first SS. I'm also highly amused at the "winter riding and some in the summer" statement. I smell the languishing of yet another gearie.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Kearsarge crawler
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    I'm with the build it, don't buy it crowd. At least for a first SS. I'm also highly amused at the "winter riding and some in the summer" statement. I smell the languishing of yet another gearie.
    I think I can buy the Ritchey P-20 frame and build it for less than 1000.00. Think i'm gonna get hooked huh. Could be.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cross4
    I question the Surly...........I have tried to build one up on speedgoat.com on their bike lab, and can't do it for under a thousand. I just went to a shop Friday, and the owner was looking through a catalog that sells them already built, and he said he couldn't even get me one for 800 with v brakes.

I am seriously considering the Kona, Bianchia, and even the Cannondale.