SS gear ratio for beginner: Niner One9- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

SS gear ratio for beginner: Niner One9

I have been borrowing a One9 for a couple of days to see if I want to eventually buy it. I did my first ride on it today and I just wasn't moved how I orginally thought I was going to be. The gear ratio was okay on the flats, but I think I might have some problems with it in different terrain. The terrain that I rode today was very flat and rooty. Tomorrow's ride will be single track with some short, but very steep technical climbs followed by very short, but steep drops.

Few quick specs
    180mm cranks. I normally ride 175's on my geared Air9
    100mm reba sl. I ride 80mm fox f29
    Gear ratio: 34/18

I have a feeling this ratio might be a bit tough on climbs, but it was great in the flats today. The steering didn't seem as percise and as sharp as my current bike, however it wasn't as twitcy as mine can sometimes get. Apparently the bottom bracket needs cleaning, as it was creeking a bit. The 180mm cranks made contact a couple of times with some roots and I also could really feel the difference in my legs after the ride.

Would 175's with a different gear ratio be better for someone starting out on SS mtb?

I posted some pics in this thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=421159

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 41ants
    I have been borrowing a One9 for a couple of days to see if I want to eventually buy it. I did my first ride on it today and I just wasn't moved how I orginally thought I was going to be. The gear ratio was okay on the flats, but I think I might have some problems with it in different terrain. The terrain that I rode today was very flat and rooty. Tomorrow's ride will be single track with some short, but very steep technical climbs followed by very short, but steep drops.

Few quick specs
    180mm cranks. I normally ride 175's on my geared Air9
    100mm reba sl. I ride 80mm fox f29
    Gear ratio: 34/18

I have a feeling this ratio might be a bit tough on climbs, but it was great in the flats today. The steering didn't seem as percise and as sharp as my current bike, however it wasn't as twitcy as mine can sometimes get. Apparently the bottom bracket needs cleaning, as it was creeking a bit. The 180mm cranks made contact a couple of times with some roots and I also could really feel the difference in my legs after the ride.

Would 175's with a different gear ratio be better for someone starting out on SS mtb?

I posted some pics in this thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=421159
    It will be tough on climbs, 34/18 is tougher than 2:1 on a 26" bike.
    It your pictures the chainring looks sharktoothed - need replacing. Might as well get a 32. I do fine with 180's. I like the extra leverage.

mtbr member
    If you ride a lot of technical uphills singletrack, I'd suggest starting with 32:20.
    If you only ride fire roads, 32:18 might be ok.

I would go 32:20 or 32:19 anyway, in order to build your SS capabilities (Knees), and then see.

local trails rider
    You can experiment with the gearing by simulating SS on your geared bike. It is not quite the same but worked fine for me.

I like to have the same crank length on all bikes for consistent feel.

Have you changed the fork settings? You could try running it with more sag.

In the other thread you mention different wheels. What is wrong with the current ones?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Nothing is wrong with the wheels, but I have the option to purchase the bike without the wheels. I then could build them up to my spec. I have the stans arch wheels on my geared bike and I just really like them alot. I would do a similar build, but with a king rear and a hope front hub.

bmw
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    32/20 is a good gear for SSing on a 29er. Changing the Reba from 100 to 80 should help with the steering issues you are having; I noticed a huge difference in the behavior of my One9 when I made this change. I never tried 180 cranks on my One9 because I never felt I had enough clearance with my 175's even with the BB in the top position.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I had a nicer than expected ride today. Yesterdays ride could have been rough due to the pearl jam concert the night before.. Anyhow, todays terrain was very narrow single track with some nice small hills that I could pump off of to build/maintain the momentum that was needed to make the climbs. I did find myslef out of the saddle quite a bit today on some of the tougher climbs. I definitely DO NOT like that reba compared to the fox f29 80mm that is on my bike. I decided to just buy the frame and niner fork and will just build the bike the way I feel fit. It's probably going to be very similar to the build thats on my Air9, but I am hoping to bring this one in at around 21lbs.

Members who have read this thread: 0