SS a FS- Mtbr.com

Thread: SS a FS

Parking Lot Poser

SS a FS

I was chewing the fat with a friend and we were saying how you don't hear of the single speeders riding full suspension bikes.
    I thought kona had 1 in there line years back, or maybe the 1 i saw someone had done on their own.

Anyone here doing it successfully??

Is there to much movement to keep the chain properly tensioned? Or limitations on rear wheel travel?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I don't frequent this section of the forum.
    Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    It's been done and discussed here frequently. Try the search option above.

Most likely you will need a tensioner, there are very few FS frame designs with no chain growth as it moves through the arc. Lenz happens to be one.

I had a SS RIP 9 for a while, it was fun.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    The current (2012) Singlespeed National XC championship was won on a FS bike this year
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

mtbr member
    A week or so ago I rode my (geared) fs for the first time in about 6 months and those things are not "stand up on the climb" friendly

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    There's a thread for it somewhere around here.

I have one myself, ride it regularly, and love it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    A week or so ago I rode my (geared) fs for the first time in about 6 months and those things are not "stand up on the climb" friendly

SPP
    Ugh, been riding my ss for the past 6 weeks or so, and taking the FS on a trip next week, not looking forward to the re-learning curve of riding the FS AM bike again.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    go to bike29 blog. he has a niner RDO set up ss.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I've got a superfly 100 set up single speed with a Yess tensioner I've been riding and racing for a long time now. It works perfectly, and I love it. I stand and climb no problem. The Yess tensioner is bullet proof and is super easy to set up. I love the simplicity of a single speed drive train, and it makes the bike much easier to work on and maintain. I completely understand the desire to make the bike as simple as possible for singlespeeding, and this mentality might not mesh well with the hard tail or rigid crowd, but I'm surprised I don't see more full suspension sser's out there anyway. You get the great ride of a full suspension, but you also get the focused "Zen" type ride of not having gears.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike carmody View Post
    I've got a superfly 100 set up single speed with a Yess tensioner I've been riding and racing for a long time now. It works perfectly, and I love it.
    Which Yess tensioner are you using? BB type or derailleur?

mtbr member
    I saw a steel FS SS at a race (Landmine Classic) this weekend. The rider said it was 26 lbs. Made by Wraith bikes. It was pretty bulletproof-looking and the rider said he has never dropped his chain.

It was like this, but orange: Wraith bicycles is dedicated to building chromoly steel Full suspension bicycles for DH (down hill) trail or all mountain, custom made for the individual and not the masses.

(wth, the url turned itself into a hyperlink)
    Misfit diSSent ALC SS
    2014 Cdale F29 Team

mtbr member
    I made an SS out of my old Schwinn Rocket 88. I loved that bike till I broke the frame. It was awesome! See my Avatar, that is the one!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm using the derailleur type. ETR- D. About $70.00 from Yess's web site.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    My next build will probably be a SS FS. Been looking at the Milk Money 4.0 Too bad I don't have the money for it. One day.

Lenz Sport :: The best full-suspension mountain bikes :: Milkmoney 4.0

mtbr member
    If only they would make the Leviathan with an SS option...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    There's a few MilkMoneys for sale in the classifieds.

undercover brother
    I would think the loss of transferred energy would play a big roll in the reason you don't see a lot of FS SS... But that's just me thinking off tangent.

Is that Bill rated?
    My SS buddy uses a Haro Zeon and it seems to be just about perfect. Five inches of travel, 650b tires, nice ENO eccentric setup for clean lines, and climbs in that scalded furry feline manner. Makes me wonder.
    Well, it was a good try.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Here's mine

Blacksheep Highlight ST 29er.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SS a FS-blacksheep-bh-hampsten-bikes-017-medium-.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2006

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    I would think the loss of transferred energy would play a big roll in the reason you don't see a lot of FS SS... But that's just me thinking off tangent.
    This is what you would think but not what I have experienced. I fully expected this ^

I have ridden a Voodoo Canzo 29er (honest) as a SS and currently own a Milk Money 3.0. A Paul tensioner worked best on the Canzo and switching to a Monarch 4.2 transformed the bike.

In both cases, they're faster than my hardtail even if they don't feel that way. I have averaged the lap times over almost 2 years. I don't do this every ride but I will occasionally make a note of it. So, I have random samples over 2 years and my best HT time is slower.

I still prefer my hardtail but on my trails the FS is faster. The HT is an Inbred 29er and it's nice but nothing special. So, it's not as light as many but the efficiency of the FS over roots and rocks seems to make the difference. I also notice much better climbing traction on the FS.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Next thread... how to add gears to your FS SS... Oh my.

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fat guy View Post
    Next thread... how to add gears to your FS SS... Oh my.
    Don't worry fat guy. I haven't used gears in almost 10 years. I will die riding SS.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Humongous View Post
    My SS buddy uses a Haro Zeon and it seems to be just about perfect. Five inches of travel, 650b tires, nice ENO eccentric setup for clean lines, and climbs in that scalded furry feline manner. Makes me wonder.

Requires a picture....

Behold the Xeon!

this space left intentionally blank

Members who have read this thread: 1