SS, Fruita, and Moab - Perfect Together?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

SS, Fruita, and Moab - Perfect Together?

Who has ridden Fruita and or Moab on a ss? How was it? Appreciate feedback - Thanks

Lackey
    It was fun.

meh... whatever
    yes, ridden both ss; and i've done moab fixed. all were an absolute blast!
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Done both also on a SS...it was MonoGod that had some simple words of wisdom that convinced me to try it (several years ago) - there were many naysayers telling me it would suck on a SS...the end result is that I kicked butt on the SS and had a killer time. My geared, full squish friends could not believe that their ultra tech bikes were not able to keep up with me. I snicker some when I see full-face helmets and piles of protective geared dudes riding 6+ inches of travel and I'm doing the everything they are on a SS in baggies with simple helmet. Well since that first experience I have returned on SS and will continue to do so knowing it is the best choice (for me).
    Remember - Brakes only slow you down and gears are over-rated.

Bottom Bracket Biking Adventures

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I rode Fruita a few years back on my rigid Karate Monkey. It was a blast!!!!

Happy Trails,
    Winky

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    rode Moab, Fruita and Gooseberry Mesa on a SS.....it was a blast!
    Click Here for Forum Rules

Apr 2007
    I'm hoping to get out there early fall this year. What gear inches were you guys riding?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    On my Karate Monkey I ran 32x18 in Fruita.

Keep in mind that I was in great shape as my "job" that summer was to ride my bike in the hills outside of Winter Park 2 or 3 times a day.

If I recall I started that summer running 32x20 and after about 2 weeks of riding near Winter Park I switched to 32x18. Now I would likely need 32x22 as I have "let myself go" according to the wifey.

Having said that, somewhere between a 18 and 22 tooth, depending on your fitness, would be a safe bet.

Have fun, I'm really envious.
    Winky

Des(s)ert Rat
    I've got a belt drive that's equivalent to 34:18. I have ridden just about everything in the Grand Valley on it.

mtbr member
    I love when someone tells me that I can't ride certain terrain with a SS. It is kewl when you clean something nobody said you could. Moab on an SS all day long!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks for the responses - I'm going for it and will be on the trails in September.

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    Slick Rock and Amasa back on 32x20 69er rigid. My brother and cousins rode 32x22 29ers rigid. We had a blast. Best time in Moab on bikes ever. We can't wait to hit fruita this fall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I hate being told that too, so guess what i did?

Sold my geared full squish and the only bike i own is my single speed

The naysayers finally admitted they were nervous how strong i was going to get if i only rode my ss. Guess what.....I don't ride with those guys anymore

Quote Originally Posted by vindiggitydog
    I love when someone tells me that I can't ride certain terrain with a SS. It is kewl when you clean something nobody said you could. Moab on an SS all day long!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    I sold my full slushy too. The only downside now is it really limits the people you can call to go ride. My wife was pissed that I was always faster than her so she sold her full slushy too and bought a monocog flight 29er. Good times.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gwinklecentral
    I sold my full slushy too. The only downside now is it really limits the people you can call to go ride. My wife was pissed that I was always faster than her so she sold her full slushy too and bought a monocog flight 29er. Good times.
    Is she faster than you now?

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    On some stuff yeah. Mostly when endurance is a factor. She usually drops back on the steep sections but still wastes the slushy riders up and usually down too. She's a keeper.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Okay, I'll play devil's advocate. While you can have a good time on ANY trail with a single speed, I was really happy that I took my RIP9 to Moab last year. Especially on Porcupine Rim.

I tend to outrun FS bikes all the time on my single speed SIR9, even when I have the rigid fork on it, but I can definitely go faster on my FS when the terrain gets rough enough. At Moab, you can find that kind of terrain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You can't argue with that!! If you are fast on a ss you will be FLYING down porcupine with a 4.5 inch travel 29er.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor29
    Okay, I'll play devil's advocate. While you can have a good time on ANY trail with a single speed, I was really happy that I took my RIP9 to Moab last year. Especially on Porcupine Rim.

I tend to outrun FS bikes all the time on my single speed SIR9, even when I have the rigid fork on it, but I can definitely go faster on my FS when the terrain gets rough enough. At Moab, you can find that kind of terrain.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    i think it would be fun to ride my cross bike out there. I did ride my SS at gooseberry, little creek mesa, guacamole trail, etc.. and it was a blast. Of course i havent ridden a geared or FS bike in probably 4 years, so my opinion is a bit biased.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I am converting my Spider into a SS ride as well so I will have a squishy bike without the troublesome gears. My wife and I are both heading out to Moab and Fruita in September as well for a week. We both ride one geared rides. Maybe we will be there the same time for a ride or two.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I am converting my Spider into a SS ride as well so I will have a squishy bike without the troublesome gears. My wife and I are both heading out to Moab and Fruita in September as well for a week. We both ride one geared rides. Maybe we will be there the same time for a ride or two.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeSS
    Denton, if you're out there durring the weekend after interbike, let me know. I'll probably be out that way.

Members who have read this thread: 0