SS "Freeride" Hardtail Project Complete- Mtbr.com
    DOH!

SS "Freeride" Hardtail Project Complete

...Finally.

Planet X Compo. '03 Slider (6" non-SPV). Old-school Hope DH4's. Tension is provided by a Rennen Rollenlager. Which, BTW, is one killer tensioner for vertical drops. It's simple, beautifully made, runs absolutely silent, and keeps the chain exactly where it belongs. Ken at Rennen is also stand-up kinda guy.

Rennen Rollenlager Link

The bike rails. Frame and drivetrain aside, the Slider has been a very pleasant surprise. It's as smooth and responsive as any fork I've ridden. About the only thing that comes close in terms of small bump compliance is my Shiver DC. Even the SuperT's I've owned have felt a bit less smooth. I understand that the '04 Slider+'s with SPV gave up a lot in terms of reliability and small bump compliance, so I'm glad I went with an '03. Too, the Compo's geometry is designed around a 5"-6" fork, so the handling with the '03 model is spot on.

Cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    That's PERFECT. Awesome choice on all your components. I always thought I owned a "SS Freeride" type bike, but I've clearly been wrong! (No DC fork, flat pedals, 4-pot hydros, etc. on mine.) Hook it up 42 x 14 and you can race DH on it.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

gentle like
    Dude, that's awesome. I've been considering SS'ing my New Jack Flash (currently 1x9) ... only so many times I feel like bending derailleur and hanger back into place. I'll keep the Rollenlager in mind, as I was thinking a Singleator (like on my XC) wouldn't quite be up to it.

I run my Flash with a Sherman Flick ... short for urban, long for freeride excursions. X's are great bikes, eh?

Good stuff. Have a blast.

DOH!
    Thanks!

Yup, X's bikes are killer. Paint and graphics nothwithstanding, the angles are all well thought out, and the build quality is excellent.. And, as "kept" mentioned, they're very versatile, depending on the fork.

If our local series had a hardtail DH class I'd definitely race the Compo! As burly as the PX looks, though, it's actually lighter than my DJ bike: a 24"-wheeled SS Balfa Minuteman with a Shiver SC. The RAD tubeset of the Compo is hella light for it's strength. Equipped with some Maxxis Hookworms and a 38 ring (it has a 34 on it now for trail riding), the above bike also doubles as my winter commuter and urban ride.

Anyhow, I heartily recommend the Rennen chain tensioner for aggressive or adverse riding environments. It's way more robust the the Singulator. And even if that wasn't the case, it tucks itself away so nicely that most dangers to dangling bike bits would miss it anyhow.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    that roller isn't hitting your chainstay?

nice ride.

DOH!
    Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    that roller isn't hitting your chainstay?

nice ride.
    Nope. And thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Very nice. I had my Spicer built up stout so it could be used with a bigger fork...but right now I've just got a 4-5" Black on it.

How's trail riding with the DC?

Where in UT are you riding that thing?

DOH!
    Quote Originally Posted by qtip
    Very nice. I had my Spicer built up stout so it could be used with a bigger fork...but right now I've just got a 4-5" Black on it.

How's trail riding with the DC?

Where in UT are you riding that thing?
    Trail riding the Manitou isn't a problem at all. The Slider is very light for a DC; I'm actually used to pedaling around much heavier, taller forks (Marzocchi DC's). Since the bike was designed specifically to use a Slider-like fork - at least in an aggressive trail riding capacity - the fork feels right at home. I need to lean a little more over the front end on climbs than I would with a single-crown, but not excessively so.

I live in Salt Lake, so most of my day-to-day riding takes place in the foothills, up one of the near-city canyons, or in Park City. When the weather turns cooler (like now), I'll sometimes head to Moab and/or Fruita CO, when my schedule allows, During the depths of winter, I'll hit S. Utah: Gooseberry, Little Creek, & St. George. Gotta love Utah.

mtbr member
    One of my favorite local SL area trails was destroyed this summer up LCC. However, I just discovered a fairly new trail that VW and his buddies are building from the top of Parley's down to Mtn Dell. He's been spreading the word on the trail to get more people on it, so I figure it's ok to share on this forum. Makes for a good ride to go up Mormon trail to top of East then ride the ridge over to the top of Parley's then hit the fresh DH. Your bike would be sweet on that stuff.

DOH!
    Qtip, you're local? If you want, shoot me a PM so we can get in touch via email. If you're game, it'd be fun to hook up and ride.

Top of Parley's to Mtn. Dell?? There's a trail I've ridden as a shuttle that starts up at the towers across I-80 from Summit Park, kinda up-and-down's the ridge, then finally heads down for good, to spit you out @ Mtn. Dell. I haven't ridden that particular route in a while, though, and was in fact just talking about setting up a shuttle for it this weekend.

So, for a loop you'd climb the Mormon Trail, head down the back side to Jeremy Ranch, and then from there access the Summit to loop back around to East Canyon? Hmmmm..... My legs hurt just a little right now thinking about all the climbing. Sounds pretty epic, though!

What trail was destroyed?? Have you been up to Deer Valley lately? I went up there last weekend to ride my longtime favorite loop of Tour de Suds-Team Bigbear, and was a bit dismayed to find Team Bigbear GONE! It appears DV dug several new ski runs, and almost completely obliterated TBB in the process!

FYI, a while ago I met the trail coordinator forf Basin Rec, the people who built and manage the likes of the Mid Mountain Trail, Glenwild Loop, etc. They're putting in some new stuff, too. There's also a mini Northshore-style skills park they've built on the hillside above Trailside Park in PC. I also rode the Glenwild Loop this morning, and they're done some maintenance and re-routing on the back side. Now, if only I wouldn't have to ride through/around piles of horse crap on that trail....

Out spokin'

That bike...........

........looks badass. WAY freakin' nice.

Way!!!

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SprungShoulders
    Nope. And thanks.
    damn, i couldn't run it that high on my Imperial. had to put the chain on the bottom side of the tensioner. c'est la vie.