SS frame: Go smaller?- Mtbr.com
    Not me

New question here. SS frame: Go smaller?

I'm considering a 15.5 bianchi S.I.S.S. (I can get a deal on it). I normally ride a medium Enduro. I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam, but weight 175lbs--and it's all muscle

A couple of people have said to me that they like using a slightly smaller fram for their SS bike. They say it's easier to flick around and turn and I assume there is a very slight weight advantage.

Any thoughts on going with a smaller frame for a SS? If I get it I'll probably throw a spare Zoke MX Comp on it.

JAK
    mtbr member

some girl's mothers are better than other..?..

My take is that a slightly larger frame allows you stretch out a bit more so that you can use more muscle, more efficiently. What I mean by efficiency is not being 'scrunched' and really reach out there for a good reef session here and there. I got a good deal on a rig and when I rode it a bit it felt perfect, so I took it. Later I measured the TT and it is 24.25 effective, I am 5'9". I like a longer TT and shorter CS anyway. As far as flickin' er, I notice the longer TT is not quite as flickable, but then again, I'm not necessarily flicken' my rig up some death climb. I prefer to err on the side of climbability rather than flickability. My current SS has a 23.5" TT and it flicks, climbs, jumps...

go ride that sucker....if it feels right, giv'er
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

Not me

BMX + XC= perfect SS

What was suggested to me was to look for an SS that was the perfect cross-breeding of a BMX feel and true XC feel. This is the argument for a slightly smaller frame. It's like if you bred a cutting dog with a greyhound. I just don't want a total mut. I also don't want a dirtjumper/urban assault bike.

Is anyone riding a slightly smaller frame for SS?

mtbr member

I've got a smaller frame...

Although I have yet to ride it. It's a Kona Lava Dome frame, sized 14" that I won off ebay a couple weeks ago. I'm about 5'6" with about a 28-29" inseam and weigh around 180lbs. Don't ask me where it is cuz I don't look fat... well except for my "keg" which replaced my "6 pack" many moons ago!!

Anyhoo, the Kona's gonna sport either the original P2 fork or a Surly 1x1 rigid fork with A Gazzalodi Jr 2.6 up front and either a Conti Explorer Pro 2.1 or Motorapter 2.4 in the rear. With all this snow coming down here in Northern NJ and back home in the Poconos, PA, it might be a while before it sees dirt! My thinking was the same as yours regarding the smaller frame being more flickable than a normal sized frame. My converted Trek 930 was a 16" and it felt good but I think I'll be more comfortable with the Kona. I'll post pics of it when It's completed.

James

FYI: My ss road bike is nearing completion as well. It may be sporting a 42:16 gear with flat bars and bar ends. Pics to follow.
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail.
    But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Always ride a frame that fits you. My geared bike is the same size as my SS, the only difference is that the SS has a slightly higher/wider handlebar setup, and it works very well for me.

My advice is to test ride the Bianchi and and make a decision based on the test ride.
    --- FeelsGood

mtbr member

yup

Quote Originally Posted by Surfpriest
    I'm considering a 15.5 bianchi S.I.S.S. (I can get a deal on it). I normally ride a medium Enduro. I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam, but weight 175lbs--and it's all muscle
    I'm 5'7'' with 130lbs of skin and bone and my 15.5 Bianchi fits me pretty well. I went from a 17.5 Trek Fuel (which felt like driving a boat) to my present setup which is much snappier and more fun. The top tube length is quite a bit longer that other 15.5 bikes that I know, so the bike really doesn't feel small. My only complaint is that the stock bars are a bit low for me so I'm in the process of replacing them with some risers. Oh yeah, the chain stays could be a bit shorter to fit my climbing (walking) style and the tire clearance in the back could be a bit better. Other than that, I really like the thing. I also tried the 17.5 Bianchi but felt too streched out, so I decided to go with the smaller frame. Hope this helps.

Bikes not Bombs.....

Small vs medium

I am 5'8" and ride a SS which has a 14 inch seat tube and a 22 inch top tube, fits perfect. My XC bike is a 15 inch seat tube and 22 inch top tube. my CX is 18 inch seat tube and 21.9 inch top tube.

All perfect sized.

JS
    Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... -

Fat Boy Deluxe
    Joe,

You know I have a riser bar you can use to see if that's the real problem. It's in the car right now, so just let me know if you want to try it on the next ride.

DT

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP
    I'm 5'7'' with 130lbs of skin and bone and my 15.5 Bianchi fits me pretty well. I went from a 17.5 Trek Fuel (which felt like driving a boat) to my present setup which is much snappier and more fun. The top tube length is quite a bit longer that other 15.5 bikes that I know, so the bike really doesn't feel small. My only complaint is that the stock bars are a bit low for me so I'm in the process of replacing them with some risers. Oh yeah, the chain stays could be a bit shorter to fit my climbing (walking) style and the tire clearance in the back could be a bit better. Other than that, I really like the thing. I also tried the 17.5 Bianchi but felt too streched out, so I decided to go with the smaller frame. Hope this helps.

Fat Boy Deluxe

Exactly

Yea, I was actually surprised. After taking all my measurements and sending them on their way to get my frame geometry matched up, I ended up with a 14.5" seat tube and the top tube got a 17.7 degree angle. Until I saw that, I always thought I rode a 16" or an 18" bike.

DT

Quote Originally Posted by SS Jerry
    I am 5'8" and ride a SS which has a 14 inch seat tube and a 22 inch top tube, fits perfect. My XC bike is a 15 inch seat tube and 22 inch top tube. my CX is 18 inch seat tube and 21.9 inch top tube.

All perfect sized.

JS

"Mr. Britannica"

yup yup

A good fit is a good fit, don't matter whether SS or not. Coincidentally, I too had a too-large Fuel.... and it did ride boat-like, wouldn't turn quickly. Eventually got the right size and all is good (or was good 'cause I haven't ridden it in 2 years). SS and Fuel are sized and set up similarly.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by FeelsGood
    Always ride a frame that fits you. My geared bike is the same size as my SS, the only difference is that the SS has a slightly higher/wider handlebar setup, and it works very well for me.

My advice is to test ride the Bianchi and and make a decision based on the test ride.
    Agree totally. The frame/bike must fit you. If you are going to use it for trail riding it should fit about the same as your gearie. Maybe go to wider bars. But different brands fit differently so teat ride the Bianchi and see how it feels. I usually recommend you ride the smallest size you feel comfortable on.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DmofoT
    Joe,

You know I have a riser bar you can use to see if that's the real problem. It's in the car right now, so just let me know if you want to try it on the next ride.

DT
    Thanks DT! But I already ordered the darn thing and its supposed to get here Thursday (FSA XC-190). The first time I'll get to try it out will probably be at the Greenbrier race this Sunday. So if you see someone behind you grabbin at his achin back, that'll probably be me

Are you gonna try to pre-ride the course before Sunday? It'd probably be a good idea to get used to it.