Not Smart Enough to Quit

SS frame geometry

I've been checking out several SS frame sets and have a question about their geometry. I notice that some have quite short top tubes (18" IRO is 22" effective) and some are rather long (Inbred 18 is 23.7"). The bikes I have always ridden have had 23"tt. How will the shorter (or longer) TT affect my riding? Will it screw up the handling? I have rather long legs (33" inseam at 5' 8"), so I'm afraid that a 16" Inbred will cause my saddle to be higher than the bars, putting too much pressure on my hands. Am I stressing too much on this? Am I nuts? Should I just shut up & go ride?
    The standing eight count & three knockdown rules are in effect on this trail.

http://compvelo.com/content/

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xray_ed
    I've been checking out several SS frame sets and have a question about their geometry. I notice that some have quite short top tubes (18" IRO is 22" effective) and some are rather long (Inbred 18 is 23.7"). The bikes I have always ridden have had 23"tt. How will the shorter (or longer) TT affect my riding? Will it screw up the handling? I have rather long legs (33" inseam at 5' 8"), so I'm afraid that a 16" Inbred will cause my saddle to be higher than the bars, putting too much pressure on my hands. Am I stressing too much on this? Am I nuts? Should I just shut up & go ride?
    For the Inbred it's just a matter of head tube length and getting the bars up any way you can, spacers, taller rise bar, whatever. Don't sacrifice TT length.
    It seems to me that a lot of the SS specific frames had way too short top tubes. I also noticed most SS specific frames have rather long chainstays. Two things I hate, short top tubes and their correspondingly long stems (ughh) and long chainstays seem to be standard on SS frames, I don't get it, which is why I like my standard geared hardtail frame conversion, 24" TT and 16.7" chainstays, sweet.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    To be honest, I'm sorta bummed about the Mia's rediculously short top tube (yeah, I said it). Seriously, the 20" has a 22.5" top tube??? My current 20" has a 24" top tube!!! Oh, why do the inexpensive frames with innapropriate geometry (for me) haunt me so???

To speak more to your question, I personally like the longer top tube, shorter stem combo for SS (and just about anything else). I like the fact that I can run an 80mm stem (or shorter), which is a heck of a lot less flexy then some 130-140mm monstrosity. That way I can honk on my bars that much harder when I'm struggling that last little bit up a hill!

That said, my body type sounds to be the exact opposite of yours (6'1" with a short inseem and ape-like, knuckle dragging arms), so I've always favored longer top tubes. If you're happy with the 23" top tube your currently riding (with what length stem?) I'd shoot as close to that as possible. I'm in the camp that says geometry that works for you on a geared bike should work for you on a SS.

2ยข

Sean

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Frames have different geometries because people have different geometries and different preferences.

There is no big reason for a SS to be setup differently than a gearie if you using it for the same type of riding.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    0.7in difference in reach is 17mm horizontally, about 15mm on the stem. I run an 80mm stem - how long's yours?

The bars can go up in the air with spacers. I'd rather keep the head tube short to maximise standover and to get more spring out of the frame.