SS frame choices?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

SS frame choices?

I currently ride a black market mob SS (primary bike), a P.O.S. 20" SS, and I have an old schwinn continental from the 70's also SS.
    I want to build a SS hardtail 26" but I need a higher profile front triangle for long distances. I regularly ride 30-50 off road on the black market and my knees don't like it anymore. I would prefer horizontal dropouts, geometry set up for 80-100mm travel, chromoly no aluminum ti or carbon, disc brake mounts, I would prefer geometry similar to the black market but taller
    I am 5'11" my black market is 21.5" top tube I like that but I could live with anything up to 22.5"
    my frame budget is about $750-900.
    any suggestions would be appreciated.

Apr 2007
    Isn't the black market a DJ frame? Why would you want something like that for the kind of riding you're doing? Your knees are hurting probably because your riding position isn't ideal for 30-50 miles you're doing. Wouldn't an XC frame be better? If you like the "upright" position of the current frame, maybe something like an AM frame?

If by "higher profile front triangle", you mean higher bar position, you can simply buy a different stem. That'll be the cheapest route.

If you really want a new frame, with that kind of a budget, you're almost to custom territory. Give Walt Works a call. If you want a cheaper frame, I'd suggest something like an On One Inbred. Transition Trans Am is an AM frame in the $600 price range.

mtbr member
    I think these might fit the bill:
    Surly 1x1 or Troll
    Gunnar Ruffian
    On-One Inbred
    Soulcraft?

old stuff you might need to find on ebay:
    Redline monocog 26
    Bianchi SS (PUSS, SASS, BOSS, etc)
    Voodoo Wanga
    Salsa (what SS 26er did Salsa make?
    Jamis Exile

I too am in the market for a new steel 26 SS frame, but I just want something lighter than my Monocog.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Get off the 26 and get a 29er ss
    Check out this one tomac flint 29 ss run it grared or ss and its only $500.
    https://i930.photobucket.com/albums/...orks_BG032.jpg

The need for singlespeed

FreeRider 4 Real (not!)
    Great decal!
    Federation Against 29:ers
    In memory of nino - godfather of weight weeniesm, banned but not forgotten, sept 2010.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Nice. Ima build a single speed soon as well. I will update my parts and $$$ spend soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    these are all good suggestions I will dig deeper and narrow it down.
    The black market is a dj frame and I use it mostly for street(urban mtb) and dj
    but I have been doing more long distance also and yes it is not ideal for that.
    higher profile front triangle refers to how tall of a post you must run to get an ideal riding position, not bar height. I am slowly moving away from my roots (bmx) but the only bikes that feel right are bmx style geometry, a bike should be easy to throw around, easy to bunny hop easy to spin.
    I do not like 29ers, they have their place but not in my garage. 29ers just feel to big to me, it took me untill I was 30 to ride anything bigger than 24". I don't know if what I want would be classified as xc or am or what so I didn't specify. thanks for all the suggestions, I will post again when I have finished reading up on all these

mtbr member
    being a bmx rider, I like the geo on my 17" Monocog 26. I can easily bunnyhop it, I can even roll out of a 180 hop if i am really focused. fakies while clipped in are sketchy though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have checked all of these out and none of them strike me as "the perfect frame" but they are all nice and they are all very close to what I want.
    I am leaning towards buying a used redline monocog 26 because there are 4 completes on craigslist for 150-325. at that price I can ride it and built it and take my time to decide exacly what frame I want, or if I want to keep the redline.

Thank you for all your suggestions.
    I will post whatever I end up getting