SS in Durango- Mtbr.com

Thread: SS in Durango

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

SS in Durango

Hey,
    I'm planning on doing some long rides in Durango area in late August with some geared bikers and am wondering if my SS will work out. Any trail suggestions? I can do most of our mountain rides out here in NC but last time I rode bigger mtns was on a geared bike a few years ago. Thanks for the help.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

yes. or no.

Quote Originally Posted by miket...
    Hey,
    I'm planning on doing some long rides in Durango area in late August with some geared bikers and am wondering if my SS will work out. Any trail suggestions? I can do most of our mountain rides out here in NC but last time I rode bigger mtns was on a geared bike a few years ago. Thanks for the help.
    You'll be fine on all the local trails -- Horse Gulch/Grandview/Telegraph system, CO Trail/Dry Fork, etc. I SS and fixed gear all of those. But why come to Durango and waste your time on those, when all the great high alpine rides will be in primo shape? Why dink around at 7k' when you can ride worldclass stuff up to 12k'? For those rides, I would strongly suggest gears. My "backcountry" bike runs a 20/34t low gear that gets used, and I almost never even use a granny ring on the local trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    hey man,
    which are the truly epic ones you're talking about that are up around the 12k range? That is the kind of stuff we want to ride. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    i rode hermosa creek and molas pass on a rigid kona set up with 32:17...only hiked a couple of short pitches. i met another sser in the parking lot at hermosa (i can't remember the gear he was running) and we did an out and back together...40 miles or so if i remember correctly. the scenery up at molas was incredible.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

big rides

Quote Originally Posted by miket...
    hey man,
    which are the truly epic ones you're talking about that are up around the 12k range? That is the kind of stuff we want to ride. Thanks again.
    Bolem Pass over Blackhawk Mt. on the CO Trail, you can ride it as a loop from your car, park on Hermosa Park road just past the creek ford and either climb Hotel Draw Rd. to the trail (less road climbing this direction) or climb toward Bolem Pass and get on the CO Trail, then back down Hotel Draw to your car (more heinous sucky road climbing this direction). the whole loop is "only" something like 23 miles, but trust me it feels a lot longer than that. You SS this one without walking as much as riding I'll take out a fullpage ad in the Herald proclaiming you God of the Mountains.
    Molas to Engineer Mt. trail, or to Cascade Trail. Like the other fellow said, scenery out the wazoo, maybe not 12k' but a whole lot of time above 11k'. Yeah I can see someone SSing that one, since you're really starting at the high point, still some climbing but it ain't super brutal, aside from the altitude, so it would depend how acclimated you are.
    Hermosa Creek is SSable, I forgot about that one. Doing it N to S, the only really hard climb would be coming out of Dutch Creek drainage. But still plenty of shorter gut-busters, even though the overall ride loses elevation N to S, plenty of climbing to be had. We call Hermosa the Hermosa Highway, it's pretty blown out from ATV hunter a-holes. The best stuff is accessed off Hermosa. You can climb Jones, just before the S Hermosa trailhead, then onto Pinkerton-Flagstaff trail, signage in the meadow, or R to a good ridge view that Ned just raced up to from the highway last weekend, Red Bull something or other race, like 3k' elevation gain in 3 miles, yeah it's steep if you go past the ridge views and head down.. Anyway, continue on Pinkie, great singletrack, then down and L onto Dutch Creek and eventually onto the southern 5 miles or so of Hermosa Creek trail, and back to your car. Big triangle. Mile or so further N on Hermosa creek trail, on the R as you're heading N right at the top of the biggest climb, is Little Elk trail, which sees more horsers than mtbs, awesome great trail, check maps, you can go all the way to Purgatory on it, or you can make another triangle with Lil Elk/dutch/Pinkie-Flag and Jones. Stays below timberline, but awesome Co woods riding. It's all good.
    Rode Missionary Ridge the other day, and down Stevens Creek trail to cr 250 and home. If you shuttle to the top of Durango Hills off Florida Road you cut out the sick and wrong steep dirt road climb that is just steeper than a dirt road ought to be so once again you're starting at near the high point of the ride, around 10k' but the views are worth it, especially since the fire opened things up. Stevens is basically a long downhill. I haven't SSed this route, but it's certainly do-able.
    Kennebec Pass, climb from Mayday off Rte 160 W of town, or climb 160 from town for a total loop of about 58 mil from my door anyway. Dirt road climb to top of the pass, 11ksomething', then down the Sliderock Trail of talus frequently seen in ragazine shots of the San Juan mountains, then on the CO trails back to town. One big long climb on the CO trail coming back, then just a whole bunch of downhill back to town. Traditionally done as a group/town ride July 4. My buddy just road that whole length of co trail with a chainsaw so the downed trees are cleared as of this week.
    and surely others I'm forgettin' at the moment.
    Last edited by bulC; 06-26-2004 at 10:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

many thanks

Thanks for the helpful info. We're going to be out there late August so if anyone wants to ride/show us around, great! Otherwise, I appreciate the help.