SS DJ bike for trail riding- Mtbr.com
    awesome

SS DJ bike for trail riding

Does anybody use their DJ bike for trail riding? I saw a P1 on sale for cheap and I'm wondering if I could effectively use it for trail riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dblspeed
    Does anybody use their DJ bike for trail riding? I saw a P1 on sale for cheap and I'm wondering if I could effectively use it for trail riding.
    I tried using my Kona Stuff. I find that it is not too bad, the one issue I'm having though is that due to the shortness of the seattube I needed to use a 410mm seatpost at minimum insertion to give decent leg extension (I'm 6'3", 36" inseam on a large Kona Stuff). I thought that the geometry would be worse than it is for trail riding, but it works pretty well, although it feels most at home when you're standing and mashing. Its a 2 x 9 so sitting and spinning is an option, just doesn't feel as nice as a true XC hardtail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dblspeed
    Depends on how much climbing you do. DJ's are fine on flatter trails or anything downwards, but don't tend to climb that well (heavy bike with heavy wheels and slacker angles equals poor climbing),

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I trail ride on my Astrix Union a fair bit. . . but then again I trail ride my Norco Shore too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I would go with some that is more
    stretched out like a giant STPgary fisher mullet rocky mountain flow or a
    surly instigator. Hard to find a bike that fits the bill.

awesome
    Hi all thanks for the replies. I'm 5'5, I ride flatter trails usually in longish gears (lots of mashing), so I guess the climbing and seatpost height are not big issues. I wanted a p bike to fool around some dirt jumps and because I hear the geo is good to learn (basic) skills like hopping and pumping. I'll report back if I get the bike.

I AM I AM
    I've set my STP up that way - SS with a Pike up front to do me for anything from commuting to DH type riding. I'm about 5ft7 and the STP was perfect for me size wise and also in regards to versatility - I reckon the P1 would fit the same category.

I think the set up is great, I did start out with gears up the back, but before too long decided to take the SS plunge. And the only limit is really your personal fitness. Extended steeper climbs would have to be walked no doubt, but on my commute route which has some manageable ups and some down, well I can make the ups and can't really pedal like you normally would on the downs (32:16 gear ratio) however I find that the time it takes me is about the same as it used to when I had gears, if not a little quicker but with a greater effort particularly on the ups!

After all if SS isn't for you it's not that hard to get yourself 9 gears for the back end.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    how cheap is the sale?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I've got a 2004 P2 and it's a total nightmare for trail riding. At the end of the day the geometry is just wrong for (anything even approaching) efficient climbing, even riding on the flat it's uncomfortable. I think the bb height is low, which makes for lots of bashing chainrings or chainring guards, and pedal strikes.
    You can probably mask some of these issues with longer stems and a different fork but IMO this is not a bike for trail riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Endless Lifetime with a twentysix inch wheel in the back(usually takes a twentyfour),Surly instigator fork.Geometry is very steep with a high bb(13.5 inches),32x20 gearing.Slow speed technical trail singlespeed mean machine.Good fun to ride and weighs about 26 pounds approx.Looks good aswell.

Members who have read this thread: 0