SS CX, any advice? Ever tried Stans in a 700c?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

SS CX, any advice? Ever tried Stans in a 700c?

Greetings all!
    I'm new here, looks like lots of chat action, I'll be stopping in as I have the SS bug too.

Intending to convert my Redline Cyclocross to SS for coming season, any advice on gearing or training?
    I have done CX on multispeed, but think it will be great to try it Single.

I'm thinking of hooking up Stans No-tubes in my CX tires, has anyone tried that with a 770c wheel?

Thanks,
    SS-Sam

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy
    Greetings all!
    I'm new here, looks like lots of chat action, I'll be stopping in as I have the SS bug too.

Intending to convert my Redline Cyclocross to SS for coming season, any advice on gearing or training?
    I have done CX on multispeed, but think it will be great to try it Single.

I'm thinking of hooking up Stans No-tubes in my CX tires, has anyone tried that with a 770c wheel?

Thanks,
    SS-Sam
    Here's my SS 'crosser: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...64758#poststop

I've been racing on my SS 'cross for 2-seasons. SS and 'cross go very well together because the conditions typically found in 'cross (mud, snow, etc...well, at least in the races we do) are nasty on drivetrains. With only 1 gear, there's little to go wrong. Plus, when things get really steep, there's typically a barrier which forces everyone to dismount.

As for gearing, I'm running 42x18. As a point of reference, I run 36x18 on my SS MTB.

As for Stans, I've not tried it on a 700 wheel, but I did use it last summer on my MTB (26") and have since gone back to tubes. I found it just too much of a hassle (I'm constantly changing tires to match terrain and race conditions). Plus, I had a nasty blow-off during a Canada-Cup race which resulted in a DNF.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

Witty McWitterson
    I raced SS on my crosser last season and had a blast. My finishes were all my typical mid-pack, but that doesn't matter. Gearing was 38-18 for me. I bought a new frame(Kona Major Jake) for this upcoming season and will be running it SS with an ENO hub at 40-18 or 40-20. I'll post some pics when its ready to ride, which should be soon, I hope.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Go for it!

Here is my SS CX bike. A custom Steelman. I run Tufo tubulars with latex inside. Never had a flat. On muddy days I do better than the geared bikes since I have nothing to go wrong.
    Attached Images Attached Images