SS Custom vs stock question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

SS Custom vs stock question

Have 5 bikes, but newbie to SS. Realizing that crank length is even more important on a SS, and that ideally I need 190mm cranks (6'3") should I buy custom to ensure pedal clearance is maintained or just go with a stock frame, which is much more easily obtained? I can get the BB raised on a custom - otherwise, I lose 15mm or .6" of pedal clearance on a stock bike. Not sure how significant that is riding in Georgia mountains.

Thanks,

Dale

Poorly Disguised Poser

I too am 6'3"

I ride 175s. There is a lot of discussion around these parts about longer crank arms. I am not sure why a guy your size (and mine) would need 190s (my legs are long too). I would alter the gear ratio a bit before going to something that long.

I say this because raising the BB height on a custom would tend to raise your center of gravity a bit and may affect handling substantially. Not raising it would likely result in hitting everything above ground level with your pedals. I also would have concerns with touching your toes to the front wheel with cranks that long.

There are those that love the long arms, but I personally dont see much bennefit. I used to ride 180s, and felt like they were much harder to spin on the flats.

Have you tried 190s? Have you tried an easier gear on shorter cranks?

Good luck.
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

Members who have read this thread: 0