SS Crankset Questions- Mtbr.com
    Mtbr

SS Crankset Questions

My dad has built up a Gary Fisher Ferrous Frame using his old 2007 Gary Fisher Rig's parts. He feels now that he needs a stiffer/lighter crankset than the standard bontrager crank, which by the way is 100 grams heavier than speced weight. He is looking at both the Shimano Saint and the Hone cranksets. He read that the Saint is 100% stiffer than the XTR 960 Cranks, and this is what attracted him to the two. Our question is, is the Saint Crankset's Extra stiffness pver the hone worth the extra 200 Grams over the hone? My dad is 220+ pounds, and we hammer a lot, so it will need to be stiff and strong. Which one do you think we should get? Finally, people with the Gary Fisher Rig and Ferrous frames with an EBB, do the GXP cups on either crank interfere with the chainline/ and or the EBB loosening/tightening bolt? Thanks for your answers
    2008 Rig

mtbr member
    I don't have a GF, but I do have an On-One Inbred run single speed with Hone cranks(601's). I would call them severe overkill at my weight (175 including gear). I think I would have been fine with LX cranks (which is essentially what the Hones are).

On the other hand, I think the Saints would be somewhat ridiculous for this application. They won't be bad, but they will be far stronger and heavier than they have any reason to be (and probably not much stiffer)

mtbr member
    why not eno's?

mtbr member

yes, why nots?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdirt223
    why not eno's?
    stiffy n' good. I am going to put them on the site soon with a sooper nice discount. Why? all because of love. Bike love that is. The kind of love you'd find not on eHarmony, but in Wisconsin...

awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by dbo43867
    My dad has built up a Gary Fisher Ferrous Frame using his old 2007 Gary Fisher Rig's parts. He feels now that he needs a stiffer/lighter crankset than the standard bontrager crank, which by the way is 100 grams heavier than speced weight. He is looking at both the Shimano Saint and the Hone cranksets. He read that the Saint is 100% stiffer than the XTR 960 Cranks, and this is what attracted him to the two. Our question is, is the Saint Crankset's Extra stiffness pver the hone worth the extra 200 Grams over the hone? My dad is 220+ pounds, and we hammer a lot, so it will need to be stiff and strong. Which one do you think we should get? Finally, people with the Gary Fisher Rig and Ferrous frames with an EBB, do the GXP cups on either crank interfere with the chainline/ and or the EBB loosening/tightening bolt? Thanks for your answers
    I've had the Saint and currently the Hone on a 06 Rig, with no mounting or chainline issues.

Even though the Hone is more than fine for my 170 lbs and the riding I do, the Saint is well worth the extra weight and price; overkill or not, the Saint stiffness is a definite advantage for singlespeeding/hammering. Seems like the perfect choice for your dad

Master of None
    The stiffness of the Saint is a wonderful feeling. I have them on my singlespeed.

You know, for kids
    for less $$$, I would suggest the TruVativ Hussefelt cranks. I love mine and I'm 250 pounds
    Last edited by madcap; 11-27-2007 at 02:25 PM.
    disclaimer: I sell and repair bicycles

mtbr member
    I have Saints on both my 26" and my 29". Both are matched with Surly stainless steel rings and cogs. No, it ain't the lightest setup but I don't care about weight. I simply wanted a "no worries", stiff as hell drive-train. Now I have it. After a bunch of miles on both bikes, I have had only one issue, The pinch bolts have "loosened up" on two separate rides. I suggest you use threadlocker on the pinch bolts not grease, DOH ! No more problems. BTW, I hit the scales at 180lbs. They are VERY stiff ... YMMV
    Attached Images Attached Images

Master of None
    Quote Originally Posted by velomatt
    I have Saints on both my 26" and my 29". Both are matched with Surly stainless steel rings and cogs. No, it ain't the lightest setup but I don't care about weight. I simply wanted a "no worries", stiff as hell drive-train. Now I have it. After a bunch of miles on both bikes, I have had only one issue, The pinch bolts have "loosened up" on two separate rides. I suggest you use threadlocker on the pinch bolts not grease, DOH ! No more problems. YMMV
    One of my pinch bolts stripped out... Maybe ham-fisted wrenching on my part, or the previous owner. (Bought them used.)

The cap screws are too short in any case. I replaced them with longer ones and now there are helicoil inserts.

awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by madcap
    for less $$$, I would suggest the TruVativ Hussefelt cranks. I love mine and I'm 250 pounds
    How much are the Husselfelt? Chainreaction price on the single ring Saints ain't that bad. Very nice looking build btw.

You know, for kids
    Quote Originally Posted by dblspeed
    How much are the Husselfelt? Chainreaction price on the single ring Saints ain't that bad. Very nice looking build btw.
    Mine were $70 for the cranks and $30 for the bottom bracket, plus shipping so roughly $110 for the setup.
    disclaimer: I sell and repair bicycles

Whatever
    What about the Shimano DXR cranks... basically the BMX version of the Saint's. Anybody tried these?
    just ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have Hone on my 1x1. Stiff and strong and all of the above. Not saying you can go wrong with Saint. I guess I'm saying you can't go wrong either way.

Members who have read this thread: 0