ss crank suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

ss crank suggestions

i see a lot of people useing the xtr 970's, why?

looking for a light weight, stiff ss crank for my d.b.sortie, 08 model,
    im going to use it for all mountain,xc,and any drops and jumps in my local trails, up to 4 to 6 foot drops, will be the max for me just getting started.....

mtbr member
    XTR rings are expensive, so you can get good money selling the unused rings off your new crankset. That should pay for your replacement SS ring and bring the total price down to a reasonable level.

SLX or XT would be really good choices on an even more reasonable price level

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    xtr's are light and stiff, and the 970's use a standard 104bcd bolt pattern, which is nice (as does the xt and slx for that matter).

local trails rider
    Shimano does good cranks.
    The Hollowtech 2 BB/crank system is easy to work with
    four bolt 104bcd chainrings can be found anywhere.

... next time I need cranks, I think I'll go for SLX: they should be tough enough for me.

mtbr member
    IMO, you can't go wrong buying used cranks for use on a SS because you are going to replace the rings anyways which is the primary wear component of a crankset. Replacing the 3 rings on a 970 crankset is about a $275 investment.

With that in mind I have picked up a few sets of 970's with the BB for around $150 on ebay. The key is to be patient and look for the cranksets with the torn up 44t chainring that everyone else is going to shy away from buying due to the $150 it will cost to replace this ring. Awesome cranks, and simple to install and remove with the proper tools.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm not a fan of the M970 crankset due to the new left arm retention system, and bearing preload system it uses. The new system just makes things more complicated, while not being as good as the old system; the pinch bolt design is better than a big-ass, high torque bolt. I'm a fan of the M960 since it's cheaper, uses the original Hollowtech II system, and when modified for SS use is very light and looks great. The only drawback is the 102BCD, but SS replacement rings are easy to get, and ISAR makes a particularly nice one.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    I'm not a fan of the 970 either for similar reasons. I love my m770 XT cranks though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I got lucky. I found a nice set of Bontrager race lite cranks in the dumpster behind my local Trek store. I bought some short stack bolts (for BMX) and put the middle chainring on the out side. I have been hammering these cranks for over 500 miles and they look as good as the day I pulled them out of the trash. So for me, the cranks were free.

mtbr member
    "I got lucky. I found a nice set of Bontrager race lite cranks in the dumpster behind my local Trek store."

Nice! never thought about dumpster diving behind trek. good idea.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips
    I got lucky. I found a nice set of Bontrager race lite cranks in the dumpster behind my local Trek store. I bought some short stack bolts (for BMX) and put the middle chainring on the out side. I have been hammering these cranks for over 500 miles and they look as good as the day I pulled them out of the trash. So for me, the cranks were free.
    Are they the ones with removable spiders?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm not sure. I don't think so, but I never thought about removing the spider. I'll have to check that.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips
    I'm not sure. I don't think so, but I never thought about removing the spider. I'll have to check that.
    It'll be obvious once you look at it. it will look like it is 2 pieces, and there will be a lock ring on the back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Oh yeah, I've found all kinds of useful parts in the trash:

* Stems
    * Handlebars
    * Chain rings
    * Hubs
    * 2 Dura-ace cassettes still in the box! I sold them on eBay for $100 each.

Mostly smaller stuff, like:
    * Spoke nipples
    * Track nuts
    * Cable housing
    * Tires (I found some very nice un-used tires in the trash = Mich Pro Race 3 and Continental Grand Prix 4000)

My most recent find was an entire bike! Yes, behind the Trek store. Those idiots threw away a whole bike. It was a 2000 Trek 800 singletrack with oversized steel tubes 19.5 inch frame. This is currently my single speed mountain (with the bontrager cranks). Those trek 800's make great singlespeeds....

I've been meaning to post pictures, but just haven't gotten around to it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I don't think I have that one.

Members who have read this thread: 0