SS Crank recommendation.......- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

SS Crank recommendation.......

Looking to get a SS specific crank/ring combo for a conversion project. Hoping to get get one that works with my Shimano BBES71 BB so that I don't have to but a new one. Will be putting a Eno ECC hub on the back but I am not sure of the best way to establish a good chainline.

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I think a Shimano splined BB will limit you to Shimano cranks, but I can never keep all the compatibility straight. That being said, I'd say older pre-03 XTR cranks would work well. Plenty stiff. The standard middle ring on those are a 34T which should be fine. You'll probably want to pick up a bashguard as well. Lots of options there. An ENO hub and middle ring shouldn't cause any problems as far as chainline. For what it's worth, I've got an ENO hub and Stylo SS cranks, but the Stylos only fit to an ISIS BB, not Shimano. And the Stylos are pretty flexy. Hope this was somewhat helpful. S

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've been looking for some 180 xtr cranks and can't find them -- all I can find is 175's. Anybody seen any lately.... I perfer new, but would consider buying a used set if I have to. Thanks.

Fat, but working on it...
    Quote Originally Posted by DSR
    I think a Shimano splined BB will limit you to Shimano cranks, but I can never keep all the compatibility straight. That being said, I'd say older pre-03 XTR cranks would work well. Plenty stiff. The standard middle ring on those are a 34T which should be fine. You'll probably want to pick up a bashguard as well. Lots of options there. An ENO hub and middle ring shouldn't cause any problems as far as chainline. For what it's worth, I've got an ENO hub and Stylo SS cranks, but the Stylos only fit to an ISIS BB, not Shimano. And the Stylos are pretty flexy. Hope this was somewhat helpful. S
    Couldn't you leave the big chainring on and use that as a bash guard?

mtbr member
    Do you know if the ENO Ecc allows chain line adjustment at the hub?

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontRanger
    Do you know if the ENO Ecc allows chain line adjustment at the hub?
    It does not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SofaRider
    I've been looking for some 180 xtr cranks and can't find them -- all I can find is 175's. Anybody seen any lately.... I perfer new, but would consider buying a used set if I have to. Thanks.
    I have a set... they've been used, but don't show much wear. E-mail me at [email protected] if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    It does not.
    Thanks, back to the ole drawing board I guess.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks, back to the ole drawing board I guess.
    Where's the problem? From what I heard, the ENO ecc. hub has a 47.5mm chainline so it should line up with the middle chainring on most cranks. If you already have a decent crank with that BB, just throw on an unramped/unpinned ring (ala salsa, spot, etc.) and a bash guard and you're good to go.

The man who fell to earth
    I've run a Truvativ Stylo SS ISIS and two Shimano XT Octalink (both the new splined systems) in the past two and a half years. The Stylo crank was a bit flexy, but ok. The ISIS bottom bracket lasted about a month or so before going belly up. The Shimano cranks are very nice and strong and rigid and light and cool looking...and although the Shimano bottom bracket lasted a lot longer than the Truvativ ISIS, they still only last about 6 months, plus they are twice the price of an old XT square taper BB.

So after all that, I'm switching back to square taper. After hundreds of dollars and lots of use/experimentation I've decided the whole splined crank idea (or bottom bracket to be precise) is a market driven farce. I don't detect any difference in stiffness, my square taper Race Face Turbine LP's seem just as light (if not lighter) as the new cranks, are plenty strong, the bottom bracket is less than half the price and it'll last for YEARS.

I would go with a square taper Race Face turbine LP or square LX/XT/XTR shimano...can't go wrong with any of these choices.

Looking to get a SS specific crank/ring combo for a conversion project. Hoping to get get one that works with my Shimano BBES71 BB so that I don't have to but a new one. Will be putting a Eno ECC hub on the back but I am not sure of the best way to establish a good chainline.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cloughja
    Where's the problem? From what I heard, the ENO ecc. hub has a 47.5mm chainline so it should line up with the middle chainring on most cranks. If you already have a decent crank with that BB, just throw on an unramped/unpinned ring (ala salsa, spot, etc.) and a bash guard and you're good to go.
    Problem is that I either need to put the old crank back on (was moved to new ride) or find a non integrated XT crank to mate to the BB. New LX cranks do not match up with my BB because Shimano wanted to make sure that people had to upgrade BB when they decided to upgrade their cranks. 03 and later LX cranks do not line up properly with the BBES71 BB. If something else will work I am definitely open to suggestions. thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Problem is that I either need to put the old crank back on (was moved to new ride) or find a non integrated XT crank to mate to the BB. New LX cranks do not match up with my BB because Shimano wanted to make sure that people had to upgrade BB when they decided to upgrade their cranks. 03 and later LX cranks do not line up properly with the BBES71 BB. If something else will work I am definitely open to suggestions. thanks
    Okay, now I understand. If you can find a good deal on an 03 XT, I'd say go with that. My riding buddy has one and likes it alot. Nashbar has them for $100, but only in 170mm. I've also seen them recently at <a href=http://cambriabike.com/cranks&rings/cranks.htm>Cambria</a> and Jenson. You could also check ebay, if you're comfortable doing that. I've seen several on there recently.

I speak for the trees

If you've got problems with Shimano splined BB

then you may not have had them properly seated. I've got 3 bikes all with pre-'03 XTR
    BB's (splined) and I've had zero issues with them. The oldest and one with the most mileage is ca. '99, but it's the one on the F.S. geared bike so it doesn't see the same torque that a SS does. I did take the cranks off once and didn't get them re-seated all the way when I re-installed them. Fortunately, it didn't strip the splines, but it did prematurely wear them a little.

As far as crank/BB recommendations go - I think it's tough to go wrong with the older XTR cranks, and I'm now sold on 180's, especially with the EBB because you can set the EBB to provide a little extra clearance with the longer cranks. There used to be a guy by the name of Tom Palermo that sold new Shimano stuff cheap. I got a great deal from him once but I was unsuccessful trying to reach him recently at his old e-mail address. Try a page for him and see if he answers.

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I've got an XTR crankset (M950) that I posted in the classifieds. It's 175 with a 34T middle and a filed down big ring as a bashguard. Here's the link.

http://marketplace.consumerreview.co...uery=retrieval

$75 shipped is pretty good I think. S

gentle like

My stupid question for the day

Hey, does RaceFace still make 'new' square taper turbine cranks? My BB is shot, I've got a birthday to celebrate, and I've always wanted some Turbines ...

The man who fell to earth
    Yep, both my shimano cranks are real snug, properly torqued to factory specs, and not loose at all. In fact, the cranks by themselves are fine, I love them. But the bottom brackets just do not last. The usual progression is like this:

1. Initial install - looks good, feels tight, lets go ridin'!

2. The honeymoon phase (first 4 months or so) - wow these are great, light, stiff, look cool and working great.

3. First signs of trouble phase (about 5 months in) - Hey man what's that clicking sound you hear once in a while...I dunno, probably a loose headset. Wow, looks like you have a bit of play in your bottom bracket...nahh, probably just a loose crankarm, that happens all the time man. I'll tighten em up when I get back.

4. Final countdown phase (6 months in) - Like wow man, your crank has a whole new dimension of motion, look at it rocking up and down. And man, what's up with that steady clicking sound everytime you crank on it? Bummer, but hey I sure like my '96 XT's, they rawk! Plus I got em on ebay for $8!

5. Conflicting information phase - Bummer dude, heck I've had these Shimano/ISIS splines for a while and they're great...no problems, I dont know why yours isn't working out. (usually provided by well meaning people who don't realize they rarely ride their bike and therefore the parts on it last much longer)

6. The reiteritive phase - Well I guess I just got a bad bottom bracket, or maybe it's this SS stuff putting a whumpin on it?? Oh well, I'll just put a new one on.

7. goto 1

And no, I am not a high mileage rider (about 40 miles of muddy trail riding a week), and no I am no huckster by any stretch of the imagination (i.e. when my wheels are 2' off the ground, that's "big air" for me). I weigh 185 lbs, so although I'm not some spindly kid, I'm not pullin' the budweiser wagon either.

Quote Originally Posted by lorax
    then you may not have had them properly seated. I've got 3 bikes all with pre-'03 XTR
    BB's (splined) and I've had zero issues with them. The oldest and one with the most mileage is ca. '99, but it's the one on the F.S. geared bike so it doesn't see the same torque that a SS does. I did take the cranks off once and didn't get them re-seated all the way when I re-installed them. Fortunately, it didn't strip the splines, but it did prematurely wear them a little.

As far as crank/BB recommendations go - I think it's tough to go wrong with the older XTR cranks, and I'm now sold on 180's, especially with the EBB because you can set the EBB to provide a little extra clearance with the longer cranks. There used to be a guy by the name of Tom Palermo that sold new Shimano stuff cheap. I got a great deal from him once but I was unsuccessful trying to reach him recently at his old e-mail address. Try a page for him and see if he answers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kept man
    Hey, does RaceFace still make 'new' square taper turbine cranks? My BB is shot, I've got a birthday to celebrate, and I've always wanted some Turbines ...
    I don't know if they're still actually making them, but there are tons of new ones still for sale. I think the best price I've seen is at phattire.com.

mtbr member
    You gonna ride that?

mtbr member
    I've got an XTR crankset (M950) that I posted in the classifieds. It's 175 with a 34T middle and a filed down big ring as a bashguard. Here's the link.

http://marketplace.consumerreview.co...uery=retrieval

$75 shipped is pretty good I think. S
    Are those octalink and if so are they compatable with the ES71?

Retro Grouch

We the people ... Some good info from SSMike

Brad,
    I don't think they have updated their site for a while. There is quite a bit of other stuff that is old as well.

The "1" as is ES71 and ES51 designates it as a newer version than the 50/70 series. Not sure what the exact change was, but it was probably something done in the manufacturing process to make them easier to produce - just a guess.

The 70/71, 50/51 and 30 are available from Shimano in 113/118/121 lengths. For some reason QBP stocks the ES30 in 121 only. QBP stocks the ES51/71 in 113, 118, 121 and 126. They have a tech note that states ES50/51/70/71 will all work with XT, LX, Deore and M440 cranks w/ Octalink.

Now, on to the 121/126 thing. In Europe, they like to run this thing called a chaincase. The chaincase encloses the crank/chain to keep it cleaner becuase of all the rain etc. The Deore crank needs a 121 when used with a chaincase. There are two versions of the Deore crank. The FC-M510 is the basic crank and is used with 113 or 118 axles. The FC-M510-K (K being for use with chaincase), uses a 121/126 axle. It should be rare that a 510-K crank showed up in the US.

Now here's an odd thing regarding the LX crank FC-M572 (which is the 2003/4 model year LX crank - not to be confused with the M571 older splined LX crank). Shimano made the M572 crank only in one option that is chaincase compatible, therefore only the 121 or 126 bb will work with this crank.

Hope this is clear and makes sense.

mike

also;

Anyway, The ES71, ES51 and ES30 all have a spline depth of 9mm. The only Octalink bb you can't use is the XTR M952/950 which have only 5mm of spline depth and are only available in 112.5mm and 116mm lengths.
    Mike

So to answer your question about XTR and Octalink; no they don't play well together.

1G1G, Brad
    Last edited by aka brad; 05-19-2004 at 03:08 PM.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy-Stardust
    I've run a Truvativ Stylo SS ISIS and two Shimano XT Octalink (both the new splined systems) in the past two and a half years. The Stylo crank was a bit flexy, but ok. The ISIS bottom bracket lasted about a month or so before going belly up. The Shimano cranks are very nice and strong and rigid and light and cool looking...and although the Shimano bottom bracket lasted a lot longer than the Truvativ ISIS, they still only last about 6 months, plus they are twice the price of an old XT square taper BB.

So after all that, I'm switching back to square taper. After hundreds of dollars and lots of use/experimentation I've decided the whole splined crank idea (or bottom bracket to be precise) is a market driven farce. I don't detect any difference in stiffness, my square taper Race Face Turbine LP's seem just as light (if not lighter) as the new cranks, are plenty strong, the bottom bracket is less than half the price and it'll last for YEARS.

I would go with a square taper Race Face turbine LP or square LX/XT/XTR shimano...can't go wrong with any of these choices.
    I with ya Ziggy. I just put on some NOS square taper Shimano XT M737 180mm crankarms that I got on Ebay for $90. I will use the chainrings on my geared hardtail eventually. They alone are worth the price I paid for the crankset. I picked up a Spot 32t ring and a bashguard also off Ebay ($60 for both). I also use the UN72 XT square taper bottom brackets. Picked up several for $20 a pop off Jenson a while back. This set up is working great, stiff arms, durable BB's and chainring. Plus I always liked the look of the 5arm XT cranksets.

mtbr member
    That has got to be the most informative post ever on this site. Thanks for the info. I knew something was awry with the 572 crank. Just had a problem mating it to a ES71BB on my friends SC.

Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    Brad,
    I don't think they have updated their site for a while. There is quite a bit of other stuff that is old as well.

The "1" as is ES71 and ES51 designates it as a newer version than the 50/70 series. Not sure what the exact change was, but it was probably something done in the manufacturing process to make them easier to produce - just a guess.

The 70/71, 50/51 and 30 are available from Shimano in 113/118/121 lengths. For some reason QBP stocks the ES30 in 121 only. QBP stocks the ES51/71 in 113, 118, 121 and 126. They have a tech note that states ES50/51/70/71 will all work with XT, LX, Deore and M440 cranks w/ Octalink.

Now, on to the 121/126 thing. In Europe, they like to run this thing called a chaincase. The chaincase encloses the crank/chain to keep it cleaner becuase of all the rain etc. The Deore crank needs a 121 when used with a chaincase. There are two versions of the Deore crank. The FC-M510 is the basic crank and is used with 113 or 118 axles. The FC-M510-K (K being for use with chaincase), uses a 121/126 axle. It should be rare that a 510-K crank showed up in the US.

Now here's an odd thing regarding the LX crank FC-M572 (which is the 2003/4 model year LX crank - not to be confused with the M571 older splined LX crank). Shimano made the M572 crank only in one option that is chaincase compatible, therefore only the 121 or 126 bb will work with this crank.

Hope this is clear and makes sense.

mike

also;

Anyway, The ES71, ES51 and ES30 all have a spline depth of 9mm. The only Octalink bb you can't use is the XTR M952/950 which have only 5mm of spline depth and are only available in 112.5mm and 116mm lengths.
    Mike

So to answer your question about XTR and Octalink; no they don't play well together.

1G1G, Brad